Leinster v Cardiff

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

jezzer
Rob Kearney

Re: Leinster v Cardiff

Post by jezzer »

Always been a fan and championed Court to whoever was bored enough to listen to me. Good around the park and a was always solid in scrum and line out. But he's definitely gone off the boil, ESP in the scrum.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Yeah same. Even though his scrummaging at tighthead wasn't exactly street legal in last year's November internationals I still thought he was going to be a really important player for us off the bench and possibly even in rotation with Healy at loosehead. We really would benefit hugely from 23 man squads at international level, doesn't look like happening though unfortunately.
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Post by nelly the elephant »

bails wrote:So with all this negativity about would it be fair to say that the Ireland team may be "Hors de combat" in the future, as Gerry would say !
God loves a trier Bails! :wink:
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Yeah same. Even though his scrummaging at tighthead wasn't exactly street legal in last year's November internationals I still thought he was going to be a really important player for us off the bench and possibly even in rotation with Healy at loosehead. We really would benefit hugely from 23 man squads at international level, doesn't look like happening though unfortunately.
November was a long time ago. Ross didn't look close to getting even on a bench for Ireland. Court was a far more important player for Ireland. At the same time I think he's done okay for us over the last year. But then Ross has been the most pleasant surprise on the Irish team for a few years.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

At the time I would have wanted Ross to start yet still saw Court as being very important for us. He really is the only option we have who can play both sides. Now his ability to do that is in question but he's still the only one and therefore the most viable option. A year ago I'd have said that we were in good shape (relative to where we'd been before anyway) with Healy, Ross and Court being our options but now I'd look at Court in a "break glass incase of emergency kind of way".
bails
Graduate

Post by bails »

Let's hope there is "a whiff of cordite" in the air on Friday night !
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

15 Chris Czekaj 14 Richard Mustoe 13 Casey Laulala 12 Gavin Evans 11 Tom James 10 Ceri Sweeney 9 Richie Rees

8 Xavier Rush 7 Josh Navidi 6 Maama Molitika 5 Paul Tito (C) 4 Cory Hill 3 Taufaao Filise 2 Ryan Tyrrell 1 John Yapp

16 Marc Breeze 17 Nathan Trevett 18 Sam Hobbs 19 Macauley Cook 20 Michael Paterson 21 Lewis Jones 22 Gareth Davies 23 Dafydd Hewitt

Not available due to injury
Andries Pretorius - knee
Deiniol Jones - shoulder
Martyn Williams - arm
Gavin Henson - wrist
Kristian Dacey - shoulder
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Donny B. wrote:15 Chris Czekaj 14 Richard Mustoe 13 Casey Laulala 12 Gavin Evans 11 Tom James 10 Ceri Sweeney 9 Richie Rees

8 Xavier Rush 7 Josh Navidi 6 Maama Molitika 5 Paul Tito (C) 4 Cory Hill 3 Taufaao Filise 2 Ryan Tyrrell 1 John Yapp

16 Marc Breeze 17 Nathan Trevett 18 Sam Hobbs 19 Macauley Cook 20 Michael Paterson 21 Lewis Jones 22 Gareth Davies 23 Dafydd Hewitt

Andries Pretorius - knee
Deiniol Jones - shoulder
Martyn Williams - arm
Gavin Henson - wrist
I'd say Rob Andrew get's that a lot too.

No big names on the bench anyway, Is it 7 missing with Wales?
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Decent enough Cardiff team.
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

They're not playing parks.

Could be closer than I thought.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

johng wrote:
Donny B. wrote:15 Chris Czekaj 14 Richard Mustoe 13 Casey Laulala 12 Gavin Evans 11 Tom James 10 Ceri Sweeney 9 Richie Rees

Andries Pretorius - knee
Deiniol Jones - shoulder
Martyn Williams - arm
Gavin Henson - wrist
I'd say Rob Andrew get's that a lot too.

No big names on the bench anyway, Is it 7 missing with Wales?
8 players with Wales, no sign of Dan Parks either.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

The Leinster team to face Cardiff Blues in Friday night's RaboDirect PRO12 clash at the RDS (KO: 8.05pm) has been named... TICKETS ON SALE NOW...Leo Cullen leads the team which shows a number of changes to the side that defeat Benetton Treviso 30-20 last weekend. Cullen partners Steven Sykes at second row with Sean O'Brien joining fellow Ireland internationals Shane Jennings and Rhys Ruddock in the back-row.
Eoin O'Malley continues at centre alongside Fergus McFadden who completed a 100% kicking record in his 15-point haul last weekend. David Kearney also takes his place alongside Fionn Carr - a try-scorer in Italy - and the returning Isa Nacewa.

Jonathan Sexton is named on a strong replacements bench alongside the likes of fellow Ireland internationals Sean Cronin, Rob Kearney and Mike Ross.

Over 16,000 tickets have now been sold for Friday's game and tickets are still on sale ONLINE HERE, the Leinster Rugby Store (Donnybrook), Spar (Donnybrook) and Ticketmaster outlets nationwide. The Ticketmaster van (Simmonscourt Road) and ticket office (located inside the Anglesea Gate) will also be selling tickets at the RDS from 4pm on Friday.

LEINSTER:

15: Isa Nacewa
14: David Kearney
13: Eoin O'Malley
12: Fergus McFadden
11: Fionn Carr
10: Ian Madigan
9: Isaac Boss

1: Cian Healy
2: Richardt Strauss
3: Nathan White
4: Leo Cullen CAPTAIN
5: Steven Sykes
6: Rhys Ruddock
7: Shane Jennings
8: Sean O'Brien

REPLACEMENTS:

16: Sean Cronin
17: Heinke van der Merwe
18: Mike Ross
19: Damian Browne
20: Leo Auva'a
21: Eoin Reddan
22: Jonathan Sexton
23: Rob Kearney

REFEREE: Andrew Macpherson (SRU), ASSISTANT REFEREES: Leo Colgan, Peter Roche (both IRFU), 4th OFFICIAL: Dermot Blake (Leinster Rugby Referees), 5th OFFICIAL: Arthur Lynch (Leinster Rugby Referees), TMO: Seamus Flannery (IRFU)
QBer
Knowledgeable

Post by QBer »

The Leinster team to face Cardiff Blues in Friday night's RaboDirect PRO12 clash at the RDS (KO: 8.05pm) has been named... TICKETS ON SALE NOW...
Leo Cullen leads the team which shows a number of changes to the side that defeat Benetton Treviso 30-20 last weekend. Cullen partners Steven Sykes at second row with Sean O'Brien joining fellow Ireland internationals Shane Jennings and Rhys Ruddock in the back-row.

Eoin O'Malley continues at centre alongside Fergus McFadden who completed a 100% kicking record in his 15-point haul last weekend. David Kearney also takes his place alongside Fionn Carr - a try-scorer in Italy - and the returning Isa Nacewa.

Jonathan Sexton is named on a strong replacements bench alongside the likes of fellow Ireland internationals Sean Cronin, Rob Kearney and Mike Ross.

LEINSTER:

15: Isa Nacewa
14: David Kearney
13: Eoin O'Malley
12: Fergus McFadden
11: Fionn Carr
10: Ian Madigan
9: Isaac Boss

1: Cian Healy
2: Richardt Strauss
3: Nathan White
4: Leo Cullen CAPTAIN
5: Steven Sykes
6: Rhys Ruddock
7: Shane Jennings
8: Sean O'Brien

REPLACEMENTS:

16: Sean Cronin
17: Heinke van der Merwe
18: Mike Ross
19: Damian Browne
20: Leo Auva'a
21: Eoin Reddan
22: Jonathan Sexton
23: Rob Kearney

REFEREE: Andrew Macpherson (SRU), ASSISTANT REFEREES: Leo Colgan, Peter Roche (both IRFU), 4th OFFICIAL: Dermot Blake (Leinster Rugby Referees), 5th OFFICIAL: Arthur Lynch (Leinster Rugby Referees), TMO: Seamus Flannery (IRFU)
QBer
Knowledgeable

Post by QBer »

No Luke Fitzgerald but glad Mike Ross is on the bench.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Looks like a nice balanced selection. Hoping for a big game from Dave Kearney to see if he can put his hand up. O'Malley vs. Laulala is another interesting one.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Lots to be excited about with that team. I'm particularly happy to see Dave Kearney back. Looking forward to seeing Sykes as well, would love to see him play brilliantly although I say that very much in hope more than expectation. Like the look of our backrow too, hopefully the attention that SOB gets will give Ruddock a bit more freedom when he gets the ball and he can do more damage than he's been doing recently.

Good Cardiff team considering who's missing, could be a great game.
Edna Kenny
Graduate

Post by Edna Kenny »

Should be a great game. Exciting backline with lots of pace and Isa in his best position. Sean O'Brien back at Number 8, he must like playing 8 in December. Strong bench too, I'd imagine they will want to give Sexton half an hour to be fresh for next week.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Would have liked to see Toner kept on in there to partner Leo but yeah strong team. Loving the rotational selection policy as everyone seems to be putting their hands up when given the chance. Granted some players haven't maybe set the world alight but no-ones had a howler either and the squad really is building nicely.
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

TerenureJim wrote:Would have liked to see Toner kept on in there to partner Leo but yeah strong team. Loving the rotational selection policy as everyone seems to be putting their hands up when given the chance. Granted some players haven't maybe set the world alight but no-ones had a howler either and the squad really is building nicely.

On the rotation and full use of squad - is Conway injured or just not getting picked does anyone know?

Really like the look of that team
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
Homer
Bookworm

Post by Homer »

Hope Sykes has a big game, while Browne and Toner have being doing a decent job we need one of these three to offer something more. Our front row strength is unbelievable, White has been a good signing. Great to see Madigan getting game time as well as Carr. Interested to see how McFadden and O'Malley go together they are up against a decent centre partnership that will be a good test for them.