Leinster v Cardiff

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Leinster v Cardiff

Post by ronk »

[Jackass] wrote:Exciting line up, but always get nervous when the kids are starting, not that they aren't good enough, but just hoping they're ready to carry the team. I don't doubt they'll do extremely well, but just gives me the jitters still. Got to learn to trust these lads! Madigan has been the revelation of the season so far imo, Carr has underwhelmed (but still convinced he will come good if he gets a run).
Kids? Dave Kearney is the least experienced player we have out there and he has 24 caps. Everyone else has 30 or more matches (which is basically a full season of rugby). The other "inexperienced" guys generally have Heineken Cup starts already except for Madigan. Someone like Carr who hasn't started in the Heineken Cup yet still has over 80 caps in the Pro12 and Challenge Cup.

There are 11 players in the squad who were at the World Cup and 5 experienced NIQs who weren't eligible.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Backlines are very evenly matched, ours is arguably more talented but theirs is more experienced; Mustoe only uncapped player in their backline other than that all have c.10 Wales caps, Sweeney 35 and Laulala is an all black/super 14 winner
Big test for O'Malley especially defensively but great opportunity for him to put his hand up for H Cup and 6N
We have a slight edge on them in the forwards but bench will see us through. Their bench is very raw and starting pack is 5 veterans and 3 fresh meat so a bit of a conundrum for them for who to replace. We should win but no bonus point unless we get a couple of lucky early tries and Rush decides to hit the bar early

Think Conway is low down on the pecking order because of defensive issues, don't know about his tackling/positioning but his fielding of high balls has always been a big failing for him
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

simonokeeffe wrote:Backlines are very evenly matched, ours is arguably more talented but theirs is more experienced; Mustoe only uncapped player in their backline other than that all have c.10 Wales caps, Sweeney 35 and Laulala is an all black/super 14 winner
Big test for O'Malley especially defensively but great opportunity for him to put his hand up for H Cup and 6N
We have a slight edge on them in the forwards but bench will see us through. Their bench is very raw and starting pack is 5 veterans and 3 fresh meat so a bit of a conundrum for them for who to replace. We should win but no bonus point unless we get a couple of lucky early tries and Rush decides to hit the bar early

Think Conway is low down on the pecking order because of defensive issues, don't know about his tackling/positioning but his fielding of high balls has always been a big failing for him
Conway got injured in his first match back for the 'A' Team [as somebody mentioned earlier in the thread]. Saying that he's low down the 'pecking order' is neither here nor there because he hasn't been available for selection [due to ankle injury and surgery at the end of last season, and another injury at the start of this season].

Cardiff have good size in that back line. Laulala @ 185cm [6'1"] and 100kg [15st 9lbs], Gavin Evans @ 191cm [6'3"] and 98kg [15st 6lbs] and Chris Czekaj @ 191cm [6'3"] and 107kg [16st 11lbs]. With Horgan out, we have very few options when it comes to selecting a big three-quarter. Brendan Macken is our tallest available back at 188cm [6'2"], and Rob Kearney our heaviest at 95kg [15st].

It would be absolutely great to have Shaggy and [hopefully] Eamonn Sheridan back after Christmas. Anybody who followed Clermont during Joe Schmidt's time there knows that he uses big backs better than any coach in the NH - think of the damage that he had Malzieu, Rougerie and Nalaga doing in the 09-10 season.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

hugonaut wrote:It would be absolutely great to have Shaggy and [hopefully] Eamonn Sheridan back after Christmas. Anybody who followed Clermont during Joe Schmidt's time there knows that he uses big backs better than any coach in the NH - think of the damage that he had Malzieu, Rougerie and Nalaga doing in the 09-10 season.
I've heard Joe really rates Sheridan all right. Haven't seen a huge amount of him myself. Has there been any word at all about him?
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Missed that bit re Conway, think it was/still an issue for him, definitely was at u 20 world cup

Is Sheridan highly regarded by management? Didn't feature much at all last year and wasn't given a full contract for this year after 3 years in the academy, doing an extra year in it. Don't rate him myself, doesn't really impose his size on opponents in the games I've seen and a bit flat footed in defense. Issue there could be he was so big compared to opponents up to and including u-20s what worked for him there doesn't cut it at senior level. Encouraging precedents though for big centres Jamie Roberts was mostly a wing/fullback and only moved into centres after he bulked up, Rougerie started as wing too. In Ireland though big centres seem to move out to the wing; Horgan, Trimble

Sheridan is still out injured
Last edited by simonokeeffe on December 1st, 2011, 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Match Preview

Leinster take on Cardiff in the RDS tomorrow hoping to extend their unbeaten run in all competitions to nine games. They haven't lost since the shock defeat to Glasgow back in September and last week they successfully avoided a potential landmine by winning away in Treviso. After losing there last season Joe Schmidt would have been delighted with the win, especially after sending out a team with ten changes from the previous week.

Read more...
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

molloyjh wrote:
hugonaut wrote:It would be absolutely great to have Shaggy and [hopefully] Eamonn Sheridan back after Christmas. Anybody who followed Clermont during Joe Schmidt's time there knows that he uses big backs better than any coach in the NH - think of the damage that he had Malzieu, Rougerie and Nalaga doing in the 09-10 season.
I've heard Joe really rates Sheridan all right. Haven't seen a huge amount of him myself. Has there been any word at all about him?
He's recovering from knee ligament damage, supposed to be back February. He's had absolutely no luck with injuries whatsoever. I've seen him a couple of times at matches in the RDS with his leg in a hinged brace. Tall dude.

I'm not expecting the world of him when he returns, but he'd be good to have in the squad as an option. A Sheridan/Macken midfield would be short on craft but big on size in comparison to D'Arcy/O'Malley.
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

TBH, whenever I've seen Sheridan play he's been underwhelming.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Danthefan wrote:TBH, whenever I've seen Sheridan play he's been underwhelming.
Fair enough, I haven't exactly been blown away myself. On the other hand, he's a 193cm [6'4"] 108kg [17st] 22-year old inside centre with 16 Irish U20 caps
[source: http://www.irishrugby.ie/squads/ireland ... ef=dynamic ] – that's great raw material for a very good backs coach like Schmidt.
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

ronk wrote:
[Jackass] wrote:Exciting line up, but always get nervous when the kids are starting, not that they aren't good enough, but just hoping they're ready to carry the team. I don't doubt they'll do extremely well, but just gives me the jitters still. Got to learn to trust these lads! Madigan has been the revelation of the season so far imo, Carr has underwhelmed (but still convinced he will come good if he gets a run).
Kids? Dave Kearney is the least experienced player we have out there and he has 24 caps. Everyone else has 30 or more matches (which is basically a full season of rugby). The other "inexperienced" guys generally have Heineken Cup starts already except for Madigan. Someone like Carr who hasn't started in the Heineken Cup yet still has over 80 caps in the Pro12 and Challenge Cup.

There are 11 players in the squad who were at the World Cup and 5 experienced NIQs who weren't eligible.
I use the term "kids" very loosely. Just a nickname for the younger guys in the squad (as I am increasingly becoming an old man), but not meant as a reflection on their ability etc.

I know all of them have a fair few appearences, I was just making the point that I still get a bit nervous when it's the "younger fellas" and not the frontliners who are mostly in the team... irrationally so I know, just a few tonkings or poor performances here and there are hard to shake off (thinking of Ospreys and Glasgow most recently), sometimes these selections can go horribly wrong if the balance isn't right.
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

This isn't exactly the same as Firhill in April 2010. Even if a lot of names are the same, they're 18 months down the road and some of them have travelled a long way since then (Indeed 7 have retired).

This team is only a few players away from something you could play in the Heineken Cup.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

TerenureJim wrote:Would have liked to see Toner kept on in there to partner Leo but yeah strong team. Loving the rotational selection policy as everyone seems to be putting their hands up when given the chance. Granted some players haven't maybe set the world alight but no-ones had a howler either and the squad really is building nicely.
I think it is an exciting team and (I really hope) a strong team. Really looking forward to seeing how Seanie goes at 8 and the Leo/ Sykes combo in the scond row. However- and this won't have escaped anyone, there's only one certain starter in the backs: Isa. So if things go wrong up front I wouldn't bank on the backs bailing us out. Still with Madigan there for us at 10, against an erratic Sweeney for them it could be a great match.
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
slum
Mullet

Post by slum »

ronk wrote:This isn't exactly the same as Firhill in April 2010. Even if a lot of names are the same, they're 18 months down the road and some of them have travelled a long way since then (Indeed 7 have retired).

This team is only a few players away from something you could play in the Heineken Cup.
We lost to Glasgow at home this season (just saying).
"everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson
borders
Learner

Post by borders »

thank you for the Tv links Scott. I hope I can watch BBC 2 Wales. I live in London and it always annoys me that, even though I pay the license fee, I cannot get some channels in Wales or Scotland. Mind you I only want to watch the rugby matches.
borders
Learner

Post by borders »

I have jsut checked the BBC 2 Wales site and the transmission is Wales only, which means I cannot get it in London. I will need to check out any other way or go to a pub. thank you and I find the commentary here excellent if all else fails.
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

borders wrote:I have jsut checked the BBC 2 Wales site and the transmission is Wales only, which means I cannot get it in London. I will need to check out any other way or go to a pub. thank you and I find the commentary here excellent if all else fails.

I use this http://www.firstrowsports.tv/ to watch online
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
borders
Learner

Post by borders »

thank you. I will save that to favourites. The Beeb make me mad..I pay the license fee and cannot watch.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

slum wrote:
ronk wrote:This isn't exactly the same as Firhill in April 2010. Even if a lot of names are the same, they're 18 months down the road and some of them have travelled a long way since then (Indeed 7 have retired).

We lost to Glasgow at home this season (just saying).
Yeah, still hurts. In fairness, they're HC opposition and it was a much weaker squad without any of the World Cup Squad.
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

According to Johnny Watterson in today's Irish Times Guy Easterby is the Leinster Backs Coach! :shock:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/spo ... 71932.html
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

nc6000 wrote:According to Johnny Watterson in today's Irish Times Guy Easterby is the Leinster Backs Coach! :shock:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/spo ... 71932.html
A rare error from Johnny....... :lol: