Pro 12 no tv?

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Pro 12 no tv?

Post by johng »

I notice there is no host broadcaster scheduled for Glasgow v Munster next Friday.

Also our next 2 home games not listed.

Is this likely to change?

Apart from Aironi last year, and Itallian games in general, I can only remember 1 Leinster game not televised in the past few years. That was a rescheduled game in the RDS v Glasgow the season before last.

Is this a sign of things to come?

Or is it just because the WC is on?

At least I will see the home games live.

Are they up in arms on munsterfans?
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Re: Pro 12 no tv?

Post by TerenureJim »

Yep there is a worrying lack of coverage going on, RTÉ didn't even mention that the league was starting or that we were playing on Friday night on their sports bulletin part of the 6 one news.

Celtic Rugby should have tried to stick with Setanta if there were games going a begging for live coverage. Better to get broadcasts out there rather than let the league slip obscurely into the night. I wish RTÉ would consider a dedicated sports channel, there's enough sport played in this country that they would be able to fill a decent schedule. Lob in a bit of Rugby, FAI, GAA gold from bygone eras and you'd have a cracking channel. Granted the presenters would be the same chancers but at least you'd have coverage of all out nationally enjoyed sports.
crumlinbob
Bookworm

Post by crumlinbob »

U gotta wonder why RTE bothered to bid for the Pro 12 at all. First week and they show one live game on TG4. No build up to the new se4ason, nothing. They have used licence fee money to take the sport away from the opposition (Setanta) who to be fair had given the league excellent coverage. Yes ther is a WC coming up but I would bet my hat that they will not show anywhere near as much of the league as Setanta did. Less live games and less overall coverage is not good for the game. Setanta come back (please) all is forgiven!!
Life's a lot more fun when you're not responsible for your actions.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Looking at the rest of the year, the only other LEINSTER game not televised is Treviso away. Not too bad.

I wish someone would sort out the Italian tv situation though. We got to see the Treviso game last year before the flowerpot tv station went out of business.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

I am sure that the lack of hype and coverage is just related to the world cup. I know all of us wouldn't miss a game, but the 50k pool of potential viewers will be severely diluted by the international schedule. Your average punter isn't going to watch more than one or two rugby games in a weekend.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

CiaranIrl wrote:I am sure that the lack of hype and coverage is just related to the world cup. I know all of us wouldn't miss a game, but the 50k pool of potential viewers will be severely diluted by the international schedule. Your average punter isn't going to watch more than one or two rugby games in a weekend.
Yeah but the Very Long Title League 12 is on at a decent hour and most people will probably have heard results from NZ and just glance at highlights if there's an interesting score. RTÉ should have teamed their RWC coverage with the league to help promote the league and generate increased viewing figures off the back of the increased interest in rugby due to RWC coverage.
crumlinbob
Bookworm

Post by crumlinbob »

johng wrote:Looking at the rest of the year, the only other LEINSTER game not televised is Treviso away. Not too bad.

I wish someone would sort out the Italian tv situation though. We got to see the Treviso game last year before the flowerpot tv station went out of business.
According to the Rabo Pro 12 web site the Leinster v Glasgow / Aironi / Edinburgh games are not being televised by RTE / TG4 either. Each weekend we have four provinces playing yet RTE / TG4 will show at best two of em with not even highlights of the other games involving Irish teams. Incidentially anyone know why two national broadcasters (RTE / TG4) both funded by licence fees were allowed bid against each other for rugby rights? Surely this pushed up the price for the eventual winner!
Life's a lot more fun when you're not responsible for your actions.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

crumlinbob wrote:
johng wrote:Looking at the rest of the year, the only other LEINSTER game not televised is Treviso away. Not too bad.

According to the Rabo Pro 12 web site the Leinster v Glasgow / Aironi / Edinburgh games are not being televised by RTE / TG4 either. Each weekend we have four provinces playing yet RTE / TG4 will show at best two of em with not even highlights of the other games involving Irish teams. Incidentially anyone know why two national broadcasters (RTE / TG4) both funded by licence fees were allowed bid against each other for rugby rights? Surely this pushed up the price for the eventual winner!
They didn't bid against one another, it was a joint bid. RTE just don't have the capacity currently to show all the Munster, Leinster and Connacht games, so they needed TG4 as a bid partner. TG4 used this position to blackmail RTE into conceeding a number of prime games (e.g. the game in the Aviva against Munster) to them.

Also, as has been repeatedly posted previously, the fixture list displays host broadcasters, not necessarily a broadcast schedule.
I have Bumbleflex
Isaac4leinster
Mullet

Post by Isaac4leinster »

A Pro12 highlights package similar to the ScrumV one wouldn't go amiss, though in fairness if you have BBC Wales you wouldn't be arsed with RTE's backward coverage.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Dave Cahill wrote: Also, as has been repeatedly posted previously, the fixture list displays host broadcasters, not necessarily a broadcast schedule.
But, if there is no host broadcaster, does that mean there can be no coverage?

I thought what we posted about previously was that there could be other channels broadcasting games AS WELL AS the host broadcaster.
gfo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by gfo »

I reckon RTÉs interest in the Pro 12 stems mainly from the number of former Munster players on their books with no interest in the game of rugby
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

Joe public doesn't give two sh1tes about the magners/rabodirect/celtic league. A pity.
Apocrypha
Graduate

Post by Apocrypha »

Really surprised/annoyed that the Munster game is not on RTE, TNG or Alba.

The attendances have also been shocking, thus far. There seemed to be no more than a few hundred at the Leinster Vs Ospreys game, which is the Pro12's equivalent of Arsenal Vs Chelsea.
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

mmmm... not really sure why anyone on this site would be upset or annoyed at the fact that Munster V Glasgow ( on presumeably at the same time as Leinster V Dragons) is not being televised...
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

Apocrypha wrote: There seemed to be no more than a few hundred at the Leinster Vs Ospreys game, which is the Pro12's equivalent of Arsenal Vs Chelsea.
It was low but certainly didn't look that low - announcer in the ground said it was 5,400 odd, even if that was a bit over estimated there were at least 4k there.
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

alanair wrote:mmmm... not really sure why anyone on this site would be upset or annoyed at the fact that Munster V Glasgow ( on presumeably at the same time as Leinster V Dragons) is not being televised...
We live together or die alone.

TV coverage draws interest. The RWC is far away but teams are playing on your doorstep. Attendance funds teams and development and the standard of the league. TV coverage does the same.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

alanair wrote:mmmm... not really sure why anyone on this site would be upset or annoyed at the fact that Munster V Glasgow ( on presumeably at the same time as Leinster V Dragons) is not being televised...
So we can come home and watch it of course. :roll: Perhaps on Saturday. Well... then again the world cup is on..... Best watch it on Friday night. :)
madridlion
Knowledgeable

Post by madridlion »

Here in Spain where rugby is very much a minority sport, the free to air teledeporte shows English rugby and Heineken Cup most weeknds, sad state of affairs the way television coverage of Celtic, Magner´s, Rabobank league has worsened each year in Ireland where rugby is probably the fastest growing sport and where our clubs have dominated the Heineken Cup and Celtic, Magner´s in recent times
Cee
Beginner

Post by Cee »

Really annoyed by the lack of coverage. Yes the world cup is on, but that is no excuse, if you bid for the rights you should show the matches! Apparently the Ulster game is not televised this weekend.

I miss Setanta, you could see every match if you wanted to. It had decent commentators and the added bonus of no George or Tom.
d_whelan
Beginner

Post by d_whelan »

The match is being televised on RTÉ TWO live on Friday night. They advertised it this evening during the soccer and it appears on their TV listings on RTÉ.ie.