When were you bitten...!

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Re: When were you bitten...!

Post by Flash Gordon »

Donny B. wrote:
wixfjord wrote:Have been to very few away games, due to my student status, but my first, and one that sticks out, was that Edinburgh away game that we lost and how annoyed I was afterwards.
Eh....which one? There's been a few!
There was a time when I spent more time in Edinburgh than Dublin. At least that's what my tax returns said.....;-)
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

wixfjord wrote:Haha sorry, the 25-24 that was mentioned above in the thread where Hodge scored the DG at the end.
That, Castres and Leicester away have to be three of the worst moments for me as a Leinster fan, but as as a famous band once said "Don't Stop Believin" and by God we've got there in the end!
That one was bad, but the game we lost 29-10 the next season was even worse as we were effectively out of the tournament before Christmas.

My own personal worst was the defeat to Wasps in the quarter-final in Wycombe. The support before the match was just amazing but the team didn't deliver at all. Never felt so angry after a match.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Donny B. wrote:
wixfjord wrote:Haha sorry, the 25-24 that was mentioned above in the thread where Hodge scored the DG at the end.
That, Castres and Leicester away have to be three of the worst moments for me as a Leinster fan, but as as a famous band once said "Don't Stop Believin" and by God we've got there in the end!
That one was bad, but the game we lost 29-10 the next season was even worse as we were effectively out of the tournament before Christmas.

My own personal worst was the defeat to Wasps in the quarter-final in Wycombe. The support before the match was just amazing but the team didn't deliver at all. Never felt so angry after a match.
Perpignan? Leicester quarter final?

Wasps was bad though. Seeing that bastad Dan Leo gloating and taking the pish at the end didn't help either. Worse still, you come out of the ground and are struck by the realisation that you're in an industrial estate in High Fockin Wycombe!!!
BlueArmyOriginal
Rhys Ruddock

Post by BlueArmyOriginal »

Donny B. wrote:

I remember that, being on the crappy terrace behind the goal and Eoin Reddan who gave a complete masterclass that day, taking revengeful pleasure(and naturally enough after the way he'd been treated by Irish rugby up to that point) in scoring the kill-off try right in front of us.

The lesson I learnt from that trip is getting the 1st flight out of Dublin on match day(6am) drinking all night and getting the 1st flight back out of Stansted(6am) is NOT a good idea!!
'And striding away now! For Leinster, is Brian O'Driscoll! He's Running for the posts, he could be running for the Final here! We've got a quarter of the match to go but at the moment the colour is Blue!!' Myles Harrison; Croke Park; 2nd May 2009
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Flash Gordon wrote:
Donny B. wrote:

Wasps was bad though. Seeing that bastad Dan Leo gloating and taking the pish at the end didn't help either. Worse still, you come out of the ground and are struck by the realisation that you're in an industrial estate in High Fockin Wycombe!!!
Honestly, none was as bad as Wasps. I was convinced we'd win before the game but we just completely bottled it in the second half when Wasps turned up the pressure. I was so pissed off, I didn't speak to anyone for about an hour after the match. When I saw some pissed assholes in Leinster jerseys (I wouldn't call them fans) having a great laugh only minutes after the final whistle, I really wanted to deck them!

The one good thing about the trip was that we didn't stay in Wycombe, and had a reasonably good night in Reading afterwards.
HeraldAm
Beginner

Post by HeraldAm »

Stoop 09 was my first one.
Financial circumstances mean we have to be choosy about which away games we go to but the Quins game was an unbelievable experience and definitely made us try to get to as many away days as possible.

A few things stood out:
- Nervously Watching Munster hockey Ospreys in the Stoop bar with Old Speckled Hen on special, and having great craic with the Quins fans.
- Getting texts off everyone at home after I had appeared like a man possessed on TV after BOD stole their ball in our 22.
- Cheering on our massive defensive effort at the end.
- The Quins fans really made me realise how graceless Munster fans can be.
- Also, worst decision possible by Quins to put all of the Leinster fans in the one stand!! Created a cracking atmosphere.

That game really felt like the day Cheika had been building to since he took over.

Looking forward to the new season.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Donny B. wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:
Donny B. wrote: That one was bad, but the game we lost 29-10 the next season was even worse as we were effectively out of the tournament before Christmas.

Honestly, none was as bad as Wasps. I was convinced we'd win before the game but we just completely bottled it in the second half when Wasps turned up the pressure. I was so pissed off, I didn't speak to anyone for about an hour after the match. When I saw some pissed assholes in Leinster jerseys (I wouldn't call them fans) having a great laugh only minutes after the final whistle, I really wanted to deck them!

The one good thing about the trip was that we didn't stay in Wycombe, and had a reasonably good night in Reading afterwards.
A reasonably good night in Reading? You're really talking that trip up aren't you? :lol:

Bad day at the office, Whits steps and Phil's head couldn't play the Wasps rush defence.
glenageary
Mullet

Post by glenageary »

Donny B. wrote:

yeap - high wycombe was awful - cr@p ground, cr@p place, cr@p performance and the jeering WASPS fans made it even worse! the only saving grace was I ordered a coffee in the bar opposite the train station on the way back and then a brady to go with it and the lady said i looked so sad she gave me both on the house!
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Flash Gordon wrote:
Donny B. wrote:

A reasonably good night in Reading? You're really talking that trip up aren't you? :lol:

Bad day at the office, Whits steps and Phil's head couldn't play the Wasps rush defence.
We were just happy to get away from that kip Wycombe. Reading was okay. Met some right characters in the Purple Turtle.
Le Duvet
Bookworm

Post by Le Duvet »

Sale in 2005 for me too. Day trip - ridiculously early flight to Manchester from Dub airport , eventually getting to The Royal Oak pub next to ground for 3hr 'warm up' with new pals Mauler & Mick (never met them before - by the end of the day we were like brothers). Rolled over to the ground, sat among hard core home fans and spent much of the game slagging the 'Hooommmmerrrr' ref & preventing Mauler from entering pitch to re-inforce the message.. Also that day discovered that new fangled Heineken mobile beer dispenser thing that young chaps had strapped to their backs - fantastic yoke. So no need to move for top ups ("danger here"). D'Arcy was immense that game & happily their 10 & best player was carried off early (England's latest great white hope of that era - who was that?). Remember (just) waving an Irish flag like mad at the end and D'Arce coming over to salute us and the few other (hoarse) supporters. Sale club bar was great fun - some of their fans bought us drinks.....quite a lot got spilt.....Journey home is a blank. Woke up at home next day as if nothing had happened. But (paraphrasing) "all was changed...changed utterly". Have been to Bristol, Biarritz, Edinburgh, Wasps & both finals since. Unbeatable experience.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Regular home bird but was rarely able to travel due to monetary/exam concerns in college etc so first away trip was 'Quinns in '09 thankfully it turned out to be a classic.
CRAZYDAVE
Rhys Ruddock

Post by CRAZYDAVE »

Rugby - Whites V Blues trial 1969

Leinster:

V Newport 01 at Home.

V Munster Celtic League final - 14 men, coming from behind. The eruption nof Blue on the old East Terrace, when Shaggy went over the line. The slagging from Munster lads in Scruffy's afterwards. The reworking of "The Ballad of 14 Men"

V Bristol Shoguns - 03 A cracker of a match Pichot + 2 Contepomi's. McCullen scoring 2 tries and getting binned. Sonic being abused by the locals and sudenly recovering the use of his other arm :lol: .

V Cardiff 03 - Pissy wet December night. Darce sliding in from the 22 (can't remember if he was given the try). Bommer slotting a fantastic kick from 45m out. Sam's bar afterwards 8) .

V Sale 04 - The true birth of the Leinster away support (in my opinion). Vocal to the extreme. Losing two key players early on. Sale missing a string of penalties in the second half. Coyler and Darce coming over to us with the tricolour at the end.

V Bath 2005 - the great escape. Missing the end (left early) queue string of jokes. Mal flopping over for what I though was a consolation score. :oops:

V Bath 2006 - The annihalation. Greene running in from a Leinster line break on their own 22. Breathtaking (They must have been watching the match in Straddy the day before) :mrgreen: .

V Toulouse 2006 - The poisson d'avril was well and truely attached to the back of les Toulousain. BOD secretly signalling us to increase the noise just as the game was starting. Every time their supporters stopped, we got started. 60 minutes gone, 20 points up, in Toulouse's back yard. Pinch me. Full respect to Les Toulousain both supporters and players, they showed us that day how to be gracious in defeat. :happy clapper:

Nothing really matches that until the final in Edinburgh... and the rollercoaster that was Cardiff.
T - 45
CRAZYDAVE
Rhys Ruddock

Post by CRAZYDAVE »

Double Post - Note to self, must be more patient :roll:
T - 45
Eve
Mullet Moderator

Post by Eve »

CRAZYDAVE wrote:V Cardiff 03 - Pissy wet December night. Darce sliding in from the 22 (can't remember if he was given the try). Bommer slotting a fantastic kick from 45m out. Sam's bar afterwards 8) .
I swear if that DJ had played one more request for the Ulster supporters there'd have been trouble

CRAZYDAVE wrote:V Bath 2005 - the great escape. Missing the end (left early) queue string of jokes. Mal flopping over for what I though was a consolation score. :oops:
:lol:

But thanks :D
CRAZYDAVE wrote:Double Post - Note to self, must be more patient :roll:
Did Bath '05 teach you nothing :lol: :lol:
Summer is ready when you are

footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

Taffy Dub wrote:As I'm bored and there's a few months to kill until next season I thought I would try and get people to think about when they were first bitten by the away game bug.

For me it was January 2003 Bristol Shoguns v Leinster when the good Doctor was playing for them outside Pichot! (Which also makes me think that what has happeneed to Bristol is very sad!)

The group of us Leinster fans huddled on the terrace behind the Leinster dugout singing our hearts out! "you are my Girven, you're always swirvin..." and someone from the Leinster branch handed out little Leinster branch badges to us at half time.

This was definitely no where near the best away trip but a great memory!
Was at that game remember being surrounded by Bristol City/Rovers soccer fans in a shed/terrace thing, they sang "Who ate all the pies" every time B O'D got his hands on the ball.
Flying wedge
Spartan
Beginner

Post by Spartan »

Donnybrook, 1996, when we lost 40-45 against Munster. I went as a student on a drinking day out and the game was amazing, possibly booze assisted (me, not the team). I still think we should have won that day. It was a non-stop, cracking game of rugby. That was when I was bitten by the leinster bug
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Spartan wrote:Donnybrook, 1996, when we lost 40-45 against Munster. I went as a student on a drinking day out and the game was amazing, possibly booze assisted (me, not the team). I still think we should have won that day. It was a non-stop, cracking game of rugby. That was when I was bitten by the leinster bug
I wouldn't be too suprised if the teams had a few scoops at half time, nevermind the amount of smokes that would have been going around the dressing room back in those days.
wanderingwanderer

Post by wanderingwanderer »

For me it was the Heineken Cup final in 2009.

Edinburgh is a great spot even without the rugby but there was something about the comradery between the Leinster fans that really impressed me.

As a seasoned GAA head this game definitely turned me into a proper Blue.

http://www.irishtimes.com/leinster-rugb ... blue-days/
Leinster soar highest in bluest of blue days
GERRY THORNLEY Rugby Correspondent at Murrayfield

HEINEKEN CUP FINAL Leicester 16 Leinster 19 : THE NAYSAYERS have been silenced for good. This was Leinster’s day. Rocky’s day, Brian’s day, Jonathan’s day – and all those with a vested interest in the harp, from every foot-soldier in the Blue Army to all those who have played and toiled for the province and its clubs. This was the bluest of blue days.

And when they tell their grandchildren about it they can have the complete and utter sense of satisfaction of knowing they earned it.

Having beaten the reigning champions and new Magners League champions in the grandmother of all semi-finals, they beat the other two-time champions and newly-crowned English champions.

The team that played the better rugby deservedly won. If it may not always have been champagne rugby from the supposed champagne team, the bubbly would have tasted all the better for that.

You have to hand it to Leicester. They’re not Tigers for nothing. This illustrious club, in which winning medals is seemingly passed down through generations as if part of their DNA, have had better teams. But they’re as gritty, competitive, spoiling and nasty as any of their predecessors.

At times they’re hard to like, as when Martin Castrogiovanni patted Stanley Wright on the head as he made his way to the sin-bin; or Alesana Tuilagi, eh, checking on Shane Horgan’s well-being after running through him; or Craig Newby slapping a prone Jamie Heaslip on the back after his knock-on; or Julien Dupuy’s sledging, and so on. Why do referees allow this stuff?

But, playing their fourth knock-out match on consecutive weekends with a largely unchanged team, Leicester were put on the back foot of a ferociously full-on collision by the superior forward control and kicking games of Jonathan Sexton and Isa Nacewa, who outkicked their counterparts.

But when they cranked it up to punish Wright’s missed tackle on the excellent Dan Hipkiss and his ensuing yellow card with that 13-point salvo either side of the break – the championship minutes – they also threw down the gauntlet.

They made Leinster dig deeper than they’ve perhaps ever dug this season. Bernard Jackman, virtually from the off, Horgan (after that rumble by Tuilagi) and O’Driscoll, after landing heavily on his shoulder, and the blood-stained Rocky Elsom were obvious examples of those who played through the pain barrier.

And, while there were hardly any weak links in their chain, Leicester lacked truly outstanding players, men of the calibre of Elsom and O’Driscoll, who, fittingly, came up with the big plays that turned the game in their favour to earn the mantle of European champions.

It didn’t help Leicester’s cause that the classy Geordan Murphy soon departed with a hip injury, although it was his two kicks to the omnipresent Elsom which helped kickstart the comeback. From the second, Elsom rounded Tom Croft, dummied Tuilagi – see you later – and handed off George Chuter.

That 47th-minute rumble re-energised the team. From there the slightly new O’Driscoll model of this season, the experienced winner mixing pragmatism with brilliance, put in a perfectly weighted grubber toward the touchline, as he has done so often this season, but especially since the turn of the year. Gordon D’Arcy tackled Scott Hamilton.

Once again it was a bit like watching Ireland crank it up, utterly determined and sure of their belief in each other and themselves to go and win the match – whatever it took – except this time the kick was into one of the many throngs of blue flags.

The ensuing time-out for Murphy’s slow departure, the chants of “LEIN-ster”, were seminal moments. The psychic energy was flowing with them again.

Elsom (who else) took the lineout and on and on they went through the phases. Wright, paying back in full his earlier indiscretion, the outstanding Cian Healy, O’Driscoll, Shane Jennings, Elsom again, Wright again, O’Driscoll again and Sexton took it on.

As important as anything was the way the hard-working Horgan, Isa Nacewa, Fitzgerald and then Leo Cullen and Malcolm O’Kelly secured the ball. It was slow ball, but with a little help from the selfless Jennings, Jamie Heaslip ploughed through Ben Kay and Newby for the try. The force was with Leinster now, and somehow you knew they’d go on and win.

Teams have to get down and dirty to beat Leicester, it usually isn’t pretty, and again, the dirty work was as important as anything. Chris Whitaker and Wright contrived to wrestle turnover ball, some bloke called Elsom put them on the front foot and on Leinster went through another eight phases. O’Driscoll danced past Tuilagi and Sam Vesty, Matt Smith played the ball at the bottom of a ruck and Sexton sealed the deal, albeit with a penalty that was initially off course before curling inside the far post.

Cometh the hour, the boy rose to the challenge. Augmenting O’Driscoll’s drop goal with his own monster effort from half-way, and a 25th-minute penalty when Nigel Owens enforced the offside law for one of the few times in the game, Sexton’s enthusiasm and self-confidence fuelled the team throughout.

They just couldn’t pull away. Leicester’s midfield pushed up hard, forcing Leinster back inside. “Hands away green” could have been set to music. In that 10 minutes before half-time their intensity and organisation in defence was tested, but they regrouped and saw out the final quarter with an unrelenting effort, Healy stepping up out of the line to nail Marcos Ayerza.

Ultimately Leinster had to do hard yukka to get there, but so be it. European champions alright.