Pitch Invasion

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Pitch Invasion

Post by TerenureJim »

Did anyone see what happened to the lads who tried to run onto the pitch at the end of the game? One of them looked like he got seriosuly cleaned out by a security tackle, the other side stepped a few hi-vis jackets before about five of them managed to take him down.

Fair play to them trying to make the effort to get onto the pitch and celebrate in style!

:green clap: :green clap: :green clap:
Leezer
Enlightened

Re: Pitch Invasion

Post by Leezer »

i saw.....i was tackled myself while celbrating in O'Neills pub.....im glad to say the night continued afterwards!
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” - Frank Sinatra

Stalk me on ye olde Tweet Machine!!!!!!!
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

TerenureJim wrote:
Fair play to them trying to make the effort to get onto the pitch and celebrate in style!

I think they were knobs and all they got from it was to give our supporters a bad name. Running on the pitch before, during or after a game is clearly not allowed and why someone would try to do it when they will get either arrested or cleaved by security is beyond me.

Perhaps I'm too old and don't understand "Yoof Culture" :roll:
Get in the f%~king bag.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Slipper1 wrote:
TerenureJim wrote:

I think they were knobs and all they got from it was to give our supporters a bad name. Running on the pitch before, during or after a game is clearly not allowed and why someone would try to do it when they will get either arrested or cleaved by security is beyond me.

Presumably if you're old would you not be nostalgic for proper crowd invasions of pitches where the victorious team are carried away on the shoulders of their fans :lol: :lol:
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

I thought this thread was about our subs invading the pitch every time we scored a try! :D
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Mackman15
Mullet

Post by Mackman15 »

Slipper1 wrote:
TerenureJim wrote:

I agree with you however i wouldn't have thought they were all that young.

Perhaps my eyesight is failing me due to age.
"Since coming back to Ireland, Leinster really has become my home.............." Leinster & Ireland's No. 1 THP
Edna Kenny
Graduate

Post by Edna Kenny »

I suppose it's easy to get caught up in the moment and do it. Anyone who does it knows what they are letting themselves in for though.

It is better when supporters don't go on the pitch as I'm sure the players like it more, everyone sees the presentation and they get to enjoy the lap of honour.
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

TerenureJim wrote:
Slipper1 wrote:
TerenureJim wrote:

Presumably if you're old would you not be nostalgic for proper crowd invasions of pitches where the victorious team are carried away on the shoulders of their fans :lol: :lol:
Sorry, I wasn't getting at you, but you offer a completely different scenario - "back then" (before my time!) the pitch invasion was not frowned upon (I think it may even be illegal now); nowadays when a small handful of people do it, they're really just doing it to break the rules, rather than support the team.
Get in the f%~king bag.
illthinkofsomething
Bookworm

Post by illthinkofsomething »

TerenureJim wrote:
Slipper1 wrote:
TerenureJim wrote:

Yeah but remember the state of pitches then and the big soggy gilbert balls slopping around in the mud. €100s of Ks goes into agronomy and pitch maintainance. I am sure rugby has its version of Louth football fans too. Keep off the flippen pitch!
2009 2011 2012
Lions me hole, I have no interest in watching Irishmen getting injured playing for England in Welsh shirts....it has a ring of the Somme to it
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

God I didn't think I was that old, sure half of bloody Lansdowne Rd ran onto the pitch when we scored against the Aussies in RWC 1991 and the game wasn't even over!

Just have fond memories of days when the crowd would be on the pitch after a game and kids would be there with the players. I actually got to meet a few Aussies after Leinster played them one tour back in the amateur days one year thanks to quick feet in getting out of the terrace and onto the pitch at Lansdowne.

Guess I'll get out my pipe and slippers so and go home and be nostalgic, didn't think I'd be doing that before I reached 30!
Vamos los azules
Mullet

Post by Vamos los azules »

Slipper1 wrote: Sorry, I wasn't getting at you, but you offer a completely different scenario - "back then" (before my time!) the pitch invasion was not frowned upon (I think it may even be illegal now); nowadays when a small handful of people do it, they're really just doing it to break the rules, rather than support the team.
I was sat in row 1 and there was a big sign on the back of the advertising hoarding saying that invading the pitch was a criminal activity. There was also a barrier in front of the seats, a gap of several metres and then the advertising hoardings to get over before you got on to the pitch. When you combine all of that with the stewards in the gap and the number of "tacklers" positioned around on the pitch you'd need to be fairly stupid to want to give it a go because the odds were really not stacked in your favour.
"You can’t defend like the boss one week and the cookie man the next".
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Vamos los azules wrote:
Slipper1 wrote: Sorry, I wasn't getting at you, but you offer a completely different scenario - "back then" (before my time!) the pitch invasion was not frowned upon (I think it may even be illegal now); nowadays when a small handful of people do it, they're really just doing it to break the rules, rather than support the team.
I was sat in row 1 and there was a big sign on the back of the advertising hoarding saying that invading the pitch was a criminal activity. There was also a barrier in front of the seats, a gap of several metres and then the advertising hoardings to get over before you got on to the pitch. When you combine all of that with the stewards in the gap and the number of "tacklers" positioned around on the pitch you'd need to be fairly stupid to want to give it a go because the odds were really not stacked in your favour.
I was in row 1 as well and saw one punter getting tackled straight into the barrier with "Invading the pitch is a criminal offence" written on it. They absolutely flattened it.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

Those of you getting misty eyed about pitch invasions in the past should be mindful that times have changed.

The Millennium Stadium and the ERC have to consider the possibilities of a terrorist attack on an event as high profile as the H/C Final.

It's possible the guys and girls in green jerseys were armed police and the day glow gang were a private security firm.

Any well oiled supporter thinking he is just having a laugh by running onto the pitch is seriously under-estimating what he is up against and how roughly he will be treated.

It's tragic to think that the joy Erica Roe and other streakers brought to the masses is no more, another casualty in the war against terror. Damn you Wahabism!! (That'll be another bloody Fatwa against me I suppose)

I have to say, I thought the Millennium Stadium organisation was much better than Murrayfield two years ago though.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

outcast eddie wrote: It's possible the guys and girls in green jerseys were armed police and the day glow gang were a private security firm.
Or rugby players. The hits that were going in - even from the girls in green - were amazing
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
brummie-leinster-man
Enlightened

Post by brummie-leinster-man »

outcast eddie wrote: The Millennium Stadium and the ERC have to consider the possibilities of a terrorist attack on an event as high profile as the H/C Final.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

Naive to think otherwise BLM, plus the management are probably legally obliged to consider it and plan for contingencies.
8)
brummie-leinster-man
Enlightened

Post by brummie-leinster-man »

outcast eddie wrote:Naive to think otherwise BLM, plus the management are probably legally obliged to consider it and plan for contingencies.
8)
Its Naive to think there's a terrorist on every street corner. Soak in all of Tony Blair's bullshit did we?
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

It's not un-founded paranoia just a professional approach to large venue security.

It's someone's job to consider every eventuality at these events and that includes things like acts of god, fire and man made catastrophes.

We can all attend events like last Saturday in blissful ignorance because someone's job is to think of our security. God bless 'em all, knighthoods for everyone I say. :clap:
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

Slipper1 wrote:
TerenureJim wrote:

I'd be more irked by the goon throwing beer over the camera capturing the celebrations in the crowd. :oops:
3 Gold Stars
combatlogo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by combatlogo »

God bless Erica Roe!

Have to agree with Slipper, these lads were gobshites. He should sign up the stewards who tackled them though, they absolutely flattened them, nearly as good as a Rocky special! :lol: