Leinster Squad 2011-2012

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Leinster Squad 2011-2012

Post by ronk »

Appears to be taking shape at the moment, with a lot of recent announcements.

Props 5-6
Healy, van der Merwe, McGrath
Hagan, Ross, maybe Shawe.

Hooker: 3
Harris-Wright, Cronin, Strauss

Locks 5
Sykes, Cullen, Toner, O'Donoghue, Sheriff

Backrow 7-8
McLoughlin, O'Brien, Heaslip, Jennings, Dom Ryan, Rhys Ruddock, Keogh, Paul Ryan (some rumours about him departing)

Scrumhalf 3
Reddan, Boss, O'Donohoe

Outhalf 4
Sexton, McKinley (final year academy but may move on), Madigan, Berquist.

Centres: 5-6
D'Arcy, BOD, McFadden, O'Malley, Macken, Sheridan (may be off)

Back 3
Nacewa, Kearney, Fitz, Horgan, Kearney2.0, Conway

Confirmed/very probably leaving: Stan Wright, Stuart Maguire (tightheads); Nathan Hines (lock); Berne, Morris.
Academy in final year: Sexton, Sheridan, McKinley
Others from academy in line for promotion, just Madigan and Ryan who are really full squad members anyway at this point.

Summary
Forwards: There may be a possible need for a squad tighthead, especially with Wright leaving and Ross now on an international contract. Outside chance of Hagan being in NZ too. Shawe appears to be deemed cover. Much depends on where Sheriff and O'Donoghue rate in terms of plans for next year, if they're going to be used then we don't need anyone. Sykes is coming in the summer so the pressure to start the season well will be lessened. Backrow should be fine, though there are questions over whether Keogh or Paul Ryan will be here next season, Jordi Murphy is probably not far away from a few caps anyway.

Backs: Berne is likely off. Appears that we can manage but very inexperienced at depth, may not be an issue with developing players/academy. I wouldn't want us to be shedding any more players in the outside backs.

NIQs: Nacewa, Berquist, Sykes, van der Merwe, Strauss
Allowed 5+1, proposed 3+2. Therefore room for either one or two signings (depending on how Sykes & Strauss are seen).

There's room for a marque signings, but it would be interesting in some ways to see us leave that spot vacant.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Re: Leinster Squad 2011-2012

Post by cormac »

One issue that worries me slightly is at scrum-half for the start of the season. Reddan is certainly on the plane to NZ and Isaac Boss is one injury away from joining him. IMO Paul O'Donohoe is one of the very few players who has shown no improvement this season, he seems to be off the pace of pro rugby. Behind him, there's no one of real note. John Cooney is in the Academy but hasn't had a chance so far. Is he likely to step up enough for next season?

Anyone know whether O'Donohoe's contract is up at the end of this season? I'm not sure he's done much to earn a new contract but we may need to hold onto him out of necessity.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

15. Nacewa; 14. McFadden, 13. BOD, 12. D'Arcy, 11. Fitzgerald; 10. Sexton, 9. Reddan; 1. Healy, 2. Strauss, 3. Ross; 4. Cullen, 5. Sykes; 6. SOB, 7. Jennings, 8. Heaslip.

Subs: 16. Cronin, 17. VDM, 18. Hagan, 19. Toner, 20. Ryan/Ruddock, 21. Boss, 22. Berquist, 23. Kearney/EOM/Horgan.

There are very few clubs in world rugby that could put out a stronger starting line-up. It's quite possible that we may yet secure the signature of another world class player on top of this lot. Overall, I think we are going to have at least as good, if not a superior team, to that which won the HEC in 2009.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
maps
Knowledgeable

Post by maps »

tackle-bag wrote:15. Nacewa; 14. McFadden, 13. BOD, 12. D'Arcy, 11. Fitzgerald; 10. Sexton, 9. Reddan; 1. Healy, 2. Strauss, 3. Ross; 4. Cullen, 5. Sykes; 6. SOB, 7. Jennings, 8. Heaslip.

Subs: 16. Cronin, 17. VDM, 18. Hagan, 19. Toner, 20. Ryan/Ruddock, 21. Boss, 22. Berquist, 23. Kearney/EOM/Horgan.

There are very few clubs in world rugby that could put out a stronger starting line-up. It's quite possible that we may yet secure the signature of another world class player on top of this lot. Overall, I think we are going to have at least as good, if not a superior team, to that which won the HEC in 2009.
Looks good but most of those players wont be available for much/most of the season
bamboozle
Bookworm

Post by bamboozle »

cormac wrote:One issue that worries me slightly is at scrum-half for the start of the season. Reddan is certainly on the plane to NZ and Isaac Boss is one injury away from joining him. IMO Paul O'Donohoe is one of the very few players who has shown no improvement this season, he seems to be off the pace of pro rugby. Behind him, there's no one of real note. John Cooney is in the Academy but hasn't had a chance so far. Is he likely to step up enough for next season?

Anyone know whether O'Donohoe's contract is up at the end of this season? I'm not sure he's done much to earn a new contract but we may need to hold onto him out of necessity.
POD's problem is that he is getting very little game time at Leinster or Clontarf, he's also played a bit at 10 for Leinster A's and Clontarf so its hard to expect him to improve if he's not getting the opportunity. His best bet is to head out west like so many of his former irish U20 team mates have done, get a run of a few games with Connacht to prove his worth. he's got the ability he just needs a run of games.

I'd be suprised to see Keogh retained for next year, Ruddock, Heaslip and SOB are ahead of him in the queue at 8.

wouldnt be suprised also to see Madigan, Harris-wright or sexton and Keating head to connacht also.
mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Post by mikey »

Its a strong squad - cant help but be disappointed that Stan and Hines are off though - I would have loved to see both of them with us for another year or 2 - we seem to have Hines covered but Stan will leave a bigger gap.

I think we all expected a bigger name signing, but I dont suppose we will see anyone until after the WC so I suspect we will see a space until after then - I would expect we already have someone lined up.......
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

The first couple of months of the season are going to be tricky. Ireland's last group game is on the 1st of October, so even if we have a disasterous tournament, Leinster won't get the players back until two weeks after that. Any further progress after the group stages pushes that return back by a week for each stage we get to.

I'd imagine the following players are definitely travelling. Healy, Cronin, Ross, Cullen, O'Brien, Heaslip, Reddan, Sexton, Fitzgerald, D'Arcy, O'Driscoll, Kearney. Others like McFadden, Jennings, Boss, Toner and Horgan could also travel initially or as injury replacements. So somewhere between 12 and 17 players absent until from the first 6-9 weeks of the season. Going to put a real strain on our resources and we'll need the new signings to settle in very quickly or the ML season could be over before the players return.

Going on the worst case scenario the team could look a bit like this; 15 Nacewa, 14 Kearney D, 13 O'Malley, 12 Sheridan, 11 Conway, 10 Berquist, 9 O'Donohoe; 1 vd Merwe, 2 Strauss, 3 Hagan, 4 O'Donoghue, 5 Sykes, 6 McLaughlin, 7 Ryan D, 8 Ruddock. Bench; 16 Harris-Wright, 17 McGrath, 18 Shawe, 19 Sheriff, 20 Keogh, 21 Cooney, 22 McKinley, 23 Keating

..and that side is assuming that no-one else leaves. We probably won't lose all 17 players to Ireland duty but we're going to be down to the bare bones, so one or two short-term loans may be necessary. Suspect we'll see a few more signings or promotions by the end of the season.
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

tackle-bag wrote:15. Nacewa; 14. McFadden, 13. BOD, 12. D'Arcy, 11. Fitzgerald; 10. Sexton, 9. Reddan; 1. Healy, 2. Strauss, 3. Ross; 4. Cullen, 5. Sykes; 6. SOB, 7. Jennings, 8. Heaslip.

See...McFadden isn't a winger. Despite oing good there (as D'Arcy did in the past), he's a centre...

This is why there's room for Carr, alongside the youth and experience. A top non-international player (yet) to cover a back-three when Kearney, Fitzgerald and possibly Horgan are at world cup, and he can play along side Conway and Nacewa..looks goood to me. IssacForLeinster got his wish...can I please request my username be changed to CarrForLeinster please?
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

Make that FionnForLeinster ;)
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

[Jackass] wrote:

See...McFadden isn't a winger. Despite oing good there (as D'Arcy did in the past), he's a centre...

This is why there's room for Carr, alongside the youth and experience. A top non-international player (yet) to cover a back-three when Kearney, Fitzgerald and possibly Horgan are at world cup, and he can play along side Conway and Nacewa..looks goood to me. IssacForLeinster got his wish...can I please request my username be changed to CarrForLeinster please?
Would agree. Carr on the left wing for his speed. Shaggy on the right for his height/defence.
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

Looks good on paper TB, and yes i'd agree we have as good a team as 2009HC winners.
3 Gold Stars
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

ronk wrote:Appears to be taking shape at the moment, with a lot of recent announcements.

Props 5-6
Healy, van der Merwe, McGrath
Hagan, Ross, maybe Shawe.

Hooker: 3
Harris-Wright, Cronin, Strauss

Locks 5
Sykes, Cullen, Toner, O'Donoghue, Sheriff

Backrow 7-8
McLoughlin, O'Brien, Heaslip, Jennings, Dom Ryan, Rhys Ruddock, Keogh, Paul Ryan (some rumours about him departing)

Scrumhalf 3
Reddan, Boss, O'Donohoe

Outhalf 4
Sexton, McKinley (final year academy but may move on), Madigan, Berquist.

Centres: 5-6
D'Arcy, BOD, McFadden, O'Malley, Macken, Sheridan (may be off)

Back 3
Nacewa, Kearney, Fitz, Horgan, Kearney2.0, Conway

Confirmed/very probably leaving: Stan Wright, Stuart Maguire (tightheads); Nathan Hines (lock); Berne, Morris.
Academy in final year: Sexton, Sheridan, McKinley
Others from academy in line for promotion, just Madigan and Ryan who are really full squad members anyway at this point.

Summary
Forwards: There may be a possible need for a squad tighthead, especially with Wright leaving and Ross now on an international contract. Outside chance of Hagan being in NZ too. Shawe appears to be deemed cover. Much depends on where Sheriff and O'Donoghue rate in terms of plans for next year, if they're going to be used then we don't need anyone. Sykes is coming in the summer so the pressure to start the season well will be lessened. Backrow should be fine, though there are questions over whether Keogh or Paul Ryan will be here next season, Jordi Murphy is probably not far away from a few caps anyway.

Backs: Berne is likely off. Appears that we can manage but very inexperienced at depth, may not be an issue with developing players/academy. I wouldn't want us to be shedding any more players in the outside backs.

NIQs: Nacewa, Berquist, Sykes, van der Merwe, Strauss
Allowed 5+1, proposed 3+2. Therefore room for either one or two signings (depending on how Sykes & Strauss are seen).

There's room for a marque signings, but it would be interesting in some ways to see us leave that spot vacant.
I'd be disappointed if McKInley moved on even with Berquist's arrival. I think he's a real prospect. As said by others, POD hasn't been convincing this season - not sure why, maybe it is down to game time. So we could be lacking in depth for experienced scrum halves given Reddan will travel to WC with an outside chance of Boss making the plane. Fionn Carr would be a good addition.
Daithí Mac
Knowledgeable

Post by Daithí Mac »

whos next in line after POD? Ive heard names like Du Toit posted on here but I can't remember anyone else ever seeing gametime or even a bench spot since Keane & Whits left.
Vayan los azules!!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Daithí Mac wrote:whos next in line after POD? Ive heard names like Du Toit posted on here but I can't remember anyone else ever seeing gametime or even a bench spot since Keane & Whits left.
John Cooney, year one academy. Played a lot for the U20s last season, I thought he was handy but didn't hear many other rave about him. Haven't been able to get to many As matches this season so haven't seen much of him or POD. Dave Moore was his previous understudy but he's at Quins now.

I'm not sure about Paul O'Donohoe, he's very much a mixed bag. He's fast, powerful and skilful but seems to need to mature any time I've seen him. Tries to take on too much himself, which is natural when you only ever get 5 minutes here and there. I really can't make my mind up about him, but don't like the way things are going for him at the moment.
Blues-Ultra
Bookworm

Post by Blues-Ultra »

bamboozle wrote:
cormac wrote:One issue that worries me slightly is at scrum-half for the start of the season. Reddan is certainly on the plane to NZ and Isaac Boss is one injury away from joining him. IMO Paul O'Donohoe is one of the very few players who has shown no improvement this season, he seems to be off the pace of pro rugby. Behind him, there's no one of real note. John Cooney is in the Academy but hasn't had a chance so far. Is he likely to step up enough for next season?

POD's problem is that he is getting very little game time at Leinster or Clontarf, he's also played a bit at 10 for Leinster A's and Clontarf so its hard to expect him to improve if he's not getting the opportunity. His best bet is to head out west like so many of his former irish U20 team mates have done, get a run of a few games with Connacht to prove his worth. he's got the ability he just needs a run of games.

I'd be suprised to see Keogh retained for next year, Ruddock, Heaslip and SOB are ahead of him in the queue at 8.

wouldnt be suprised also to see Madigan, Harris-wright or sexton and Keating head to connacht also.

POD's passing is very average though. he is also a two step merchant before he passes.
I rememeber watching him do a pre-match warm up with reddan once and even then his passing was terrible.
A Scrum halfs priority is his passing! stringer has won 90 odd caps with it, he was very limited with everything else.
slum
Mullet

Post by slum »

POD has an excellent passing technique and is one of the few scrum halves around who does pass of the deck. He has had a couple of reasonably high profile (in the context of the games he has played) errors.

I think he has fantastic potential and have been frustrated and a little disappointed by his last few outings. Hopefully he'll get a good bit more game time during the WC and this will allow him to settle more.
"everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson
true blue 06
Mullet

Post by true blue 06 »

Blues-Ultra wrote:
bamboozle wrote:

POD's passing is very average though. he is also a two step merchant before he passes.
I rememeber watching him do a pre-match warm up with reddan once and even then his passing was terrible.
A Scrum halfs priority is his passing! stringer has won 90 odd caps with it, he was very limited with everything else.
Luke McGrath will be involved next year
"Hickie is racing away, he's gonna get past Pelous. He's gotta time his pass, D'arcy back to Hickie... HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! That is awesome!"
Sky Sports 01/04/06

HEC CHAMPIONS 2009

LEINSTER- MAGNERS LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 2008
amazingjason
Beginner

Post by amazingjason »

I'm pretty sure POD's contract is up this summer. I met him last year and asked him if he was leaving becuase Boss just signed, and he said he couldn't becuase he had 1 more year to run. I really rate him but a year or two in Connacht would do him no harm. He's better than Cillian Willis who has had plenty of games over there.

I agree on McKinley as well i think he's a good prospect and wouldn't mind hanging onto him. I'd let Madigan head off though. Has had chances and doesn't look like very impressive.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Six weeks of ML games during the World Cup with a two-week break for the semi-final and final.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

ronk wrote:
Daithí Mac wrote:whos next in line after POD? Ive heard names like Du Toit posted on here but I can't remember anyone else ever seeing gametime or even a bench spot since Keane & Whits left.
John Cooney, year one academy. Played a lot for the U20s last season, I thought he was handy but didn't hear many other rave about him. Haven't been able to get to many As matches this season so haven't seen much of him or POD. Dave Moore was his previous understudy but he's at Quins now.

I'm not sure about Paul O'Donohoe, he's very much a mixed bag. He's fast, powerful and skilful but seems to need to mature any time I've seen him. Tries to take on too much himself, which is natural when you only ever get 5 minutes here and there. I really can't make my mind up about him, but don't like the way things are going for him at the moment.
I like Cooney too, the bit I've seen of him. Very tidy player who does all the basics well.