Moderator: moderators

johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Munster V Leinster

Post by johng »

Well......

Here it comes. The fabled "Six in the Sticks"

Munster need it more than us, they say.

They certainly don't need the Magners points. They could rock up on the last day of the season and beat Connacht, still staying top.

Pretty much no matter what happens in the rest of the games.

Having said that, we need the Magners points a bit less after our win today.

Should be a great occasion, win lose or draw.

And don't forget.............

No one beats Munster six times in a row...........NO ONE.

If we win this that can be our new nickname. (Like John Eales)
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Re: Munster V Leinster

Post by [Jackass] »

Massive game for us.

I saw Frankie I think it was, saying we don't need this, Munster bull, we'll be up for this big time!

Nothing to do with 6 in a row, I think we're past that now, it's about Magners pressure being kept up, this is our last big banana skin left in the Magners, a win here will almost certainly earn us a home semi in the play-offs, a loss puts us right back in a scrap just to make the play-offs... massive game in term of the league.

In terms of Europe, this game (as with both home and away to Munster every season) is the dress rehersal for the Heineken Cup the following game, and we need to get our momentum going and have a full team put in a big performance.

The major worry is that both teams usually hold back on the bag of tricks they display in this game, but with Munster out of the Heineken and with a losing run monkey on their back, they may well throw the entire treasure chest of moves at us, so it'll be tough.

We have a better team than them though, so hopefull we have full fitness and can push for a commanding league place coming in to the home straight.
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

The team should be aiming to finish the rest of the season unbeaten.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
bluemagic
Enlightened

Post by bluemagic »

I thought we were shocking today but hopefully the Munster game in TP will act like it did in October, a massive increase in performance for the heineken cup the following week. We have to recapture our form pre 6 nations now.......
**** LEINSTER Champions Of Europe 2009/2011/2012/2018 ****
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

My usual optimistic self, but I think we have the skill, experience & desire to win this comfortably. By 2 scores anyway.

people here traditionally don't like being confident but I think there's no harm in it, part of being the best is thinking you are the best.
Get in the f%~king bag.
StrangeButBlue
Enlightened

Post by StrangeButBlue »

What are the odds on uncontested scrums for the last 20 minutes?
A closed mouth gathers no feet.
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

Just had a quick look over at Shelbyville. I'd forgotten quite how abusive certain posters can be about Leinster...hope to fcuk we beat them again!
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
nopeare
Enlightened

Post by nopeare »

johng wrote:No one beats Munster six times in a row...........NO ONE.

wasn't eales nickname nobody??? but like where your going with it
Blues-Ultra
Bookworm

Post by Blues-Ultra »

Hippo wrote:Just had a quick look over at Shelbyville. I'd forgotten quite how abusive certain posters can be about Leinster...hope to fcuk we beat them again!

The sweetness in beating them excedes most.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

nopeare wrote:

Twas. Cause Nobody's perfect
nopeare
Enlightened

Post by nopeare »

johng wrote:
nopeare wrote:

Twas. Cause Nobody's perfect
are you scamming for that nickname now after that mistake??? (reckon that was intentional :lol: )
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

johng wrote:They certainly don't need the Magners points. They could rock up on the last day of the season and beat Connacht, still staying top.

Aren't they 12 ahead of us/Ulster/Cheats with 4 games left? They'll need more than a win against Connacht to be absolutely sure of top.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

Hines and Stans last game for Leinster at Turnipstan. They will be well up for this one. Last chance for Luke if picked to stake a claim for the big one at the aviva the following week.

Quality should win this game and we have it in abundance. We were awful prior to playing them at the aviva but summoned up a performance to swat them that evening. I see no reason why we won't beat them by a score or 2 next week.

We are a better team by far, so far ahead of them when we play our high tempo game. We know this, the players know this, Joe knows this. Crucially, Munster know this. I believe the lads want this badly, ergo they will get the result.

Six in the sticks comes good and then its prepare for '7th heaven' back at the Aviva/RDS 8)
3 Gold Stars
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Broken Wing wrote:
johng wrote:They certainly don't need the Magners points. They could rock up on the last day of the season and beat Connacht, still staying top.

Aren't they 12 ahead of us/Ulster/Cheats with 4 games left? They'll need more than a win against Connacht to be absolutely sure of top.
That's covered by the "Pretty much"

Any kind of a win v Connacht means someone else has to win ALL their games. Seeing as us and Ulster must play each other, that leaves only 2 teams that can do that.

Then we are down to bonus points. Us playing Munster and Ospreys playing Munster would mean Munster would be more likely to get losing bps than either getting try bps.

Also if teams are even, the first criterion to separate them is most wins. (It's what has us and Ulster ahead of the "cheats") Ospreys can not get as many as Munster (If Munster beat Connacht)

So that just leaves the winner of us and Ulster (AND we still have to beat the turnips next week first)

So basically, Munster will top the league OK?
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Sauvignon Blank wrote: Six in the sticks comes good and then its prepare for '7th heaven' back at the Aviva/RDS 8)
If we do meet them again this season, it is highly unlikely to be anywhere but Thomond park.
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

I don't know about that.

Do you think the IRFU would turn down the oppertunity to play a Leinster v Munster Magners final anywhere but Lansdowne?

It'll be the IRFU's final say, and they took an awful beating in the Autumn international ticketing fiasco...
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

[Jackass] wrote:I don't know about that.

Do you think the IRFU would turn down the oppertunity to play a Leinster v Munster Magners final anywhere but Lansdowne?

It'll be the IRFU's final say, and they took an awful beating in the Autumn international ticketing fiasco...
Magners League would have the say, Munster would have the home advantage (baring a miracle in the last 4 games). Nowt to do with the IRFU. afaik.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

johng wrote:
[Jackass] wrote:I don't know about that.

Magners League would have the say, Munster would have the home advantage (baring a miracle in the last 4 games). Nowt to do with the IRFU. afaik.
We have to get there first, and there's a long way to go.

We played our game in Lansdowne, Munster are playing their ML game in Limerick, let's be under no illusion about where they'd play a ML Grand final and I doubt the IRFU would have the stomach for an argument with the faithful, especially because more games in Lansdowne Road at this stage would just distract from the warm-up games that they're trying to sell tickets to.
Blues-Ultra
Bookworm

Post by Blues-Ultra »

They do have O'Connell back though and i think he missed the last 3 derby games with us. So he'll certainly add something to them.
BE interesting to see if we pick our best 15 or leave one or two out. Drico certainly didnt play down there last year and maybe not even the year before that too.
Terraceman
Graduate

Post by Terraceman »

Don't think you can understate the impact that loosing five times in a row to Leinster will have on Munster. This is without doubt the biggest game they will play for their province until after the world cup. Don't forget the crowd will be really up for it as well. Leinster's best v Munster's best and of course theirs only one winner but theirs much more to it than that. This will be their Heineken cup quarter final, we have bigger fish to fry.It won't be a two score game. If Leinster win it will be by the skin of their teeth but I expect Munster by around 6 points.
Ah it's alright mate I've being looking to change that wing mirror- Rocky Elsom 19/05/2009