stewards at matches

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

odyboody
Knowledgeable

stewards at matches

Post by odyboody »

At last Saturdays match there was a incident which showed that all stewards should be given a basic understanding of rugby manners.
The steward in question was giving directions to someone who had come into the north stand by mistake. He was talking quite loudly and waving his arms around right in Johnny's sight line as he lining up a penalty. When ask to shush by the crowd as is normal he threatened to have anyone who told him to shush thrown out.

Another thing which they have started doing is directing people returning to their seats to walk across the grass so they will not be walking in front of the people sitting in the front row. Brilliant logic, we will stop people walking in front of people in the front row and instead put twice as many if front of those in the front row of the 2nd level. Oh plus run the risk of someone slipping on the muck.
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Re: stewards at matches

Post by Darce »

odyboody wrote:Another thing which they have started doing is directing people returning to their seats to walk across the grass so they will not be walking in front of the people sitting in the front row. Brilliant logic, we will stop people walking in front of people in the front row and instead put twice as many if front of those in the front row of the 2nd level. Oh plus run the risk of someone slipping on the muck.
I saw that alright. So bloody daft! In addition to your points, you also put twice as many people (if not more) on those little stairs. Then we folk realise the match is about to get underway again, they start getting impatient and thats when pushing and shoving gets going.

The general standard of stewarding has certainly dropped since Sword came in. I'm currently considering raising the issue with the branch
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
boyneside winger
Learner

Post by boyneside winger »

The fockers (SWORD) also close the gates on the west side (Grandstand) of the ground too soon after the match ends....and then send patrons into Ballsbridge to get out of the RDS.
:x :x :x :evil: :evil:
Mags
Learner

Post by Mags »

Where are the really helpful ladies in the toilets gone?
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

boyneside winger wrote:The fockers (SWORD) also close the gates on the west side (Grandstand) of the ground too soon after the match ends....and then send patrons into Ballsbridge to get out of the RDS.
I got caught out by this as well. A monumental pain in the arse.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Post by mikey »

Mags wrote:Where are the really helpful ladies in the toilets gone?

I've not seen any really helpful ladies in the toilets - must be using the wrong facilities!
christy
Bookworm

Post by christy »

boyneside winger wrote:The fockers (SWORD) also close the gates on the west side (Grandstand) of the ground too soon after the match ends....and then send patrons into Ballsbridge to get out of the RDS.
I think that was because the footpaths around that exit were atrocious after the heavy rain ,they were full of large puddles and very muddy and may of been a health and safety issue. The rds and leinster have to address this problem with the council, the footpath there is only about 5 foot wide with a muddy patch between the path and the road it definitely needs widening and tidying up to deal with the traffic
rosscarrick
Knowledgeable

Post by rosscarrick »

Its also gas how many 'end of game' stewards come plodding out to stop the 18,000 crowd piling onto the pitch at full time!
Surely this is not required? Maybe in a final or semi final for safety reasons - but not the end standard Magner's League games. In the Sportsgrounds they allow the kids on at the end to try and get autographs and what not.
The French are predictably unpredictable
mtleinster
Enlightened

Post by mtleinster »

rosscarrick wrote:Its also gas how many 'end of game' stewards come plodding out to stop the 18,000 crowd piling onto the pitch at full time!
Surely this is not required? Maybe in a final or semi final for safety reasons - but not the end standard Magner's League games. In the Sportsgrounds they allow the kids on at the end to try and get autographs and what not.

I think you have just answered your own question. If 100 kids start running around at full time it will be 500 next time, and this not great for the pitch or players

Players are pretty good at signing autographs behind the angelsea stand

*Edit

This reminds me of when I was playing an U15's game in France and had to go off with an injured hand. Some ten year old came running over asking for my autograph; must have appeared very rude when I said i could not sign
Les chances que Sexton vienne en France sont infimes
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

mtleinster wrote:
I think you have just answered your own question. If 100 kids start running around at full time it will be 500 next time, and this not great for the pitch or players
I didn't really like the stewards to end of match position thing. Maybe it just reminds me of so many losing matches in my youth when you know hope is running out...

But anyway. It wasn't necessary before, it's not done in the RDS, so it's not necessary now either.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

rosscarrick wrote:Its also gas how many 'end of game' stewards come plodding out to stop the 18,000 crowd piling onto the pitch at full time!
This is why fns shouldn't be allowed on the pitch anymore - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD6vkSrw2Js

And then this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2qNnHsxq6g

I always liked getting players' autographes after matches in the old LR. But we hung around the back of the West Stand. If kids want programmes signed, I guess thye could wait behind the Anglesa Stand. The pitch is for players and officials, not fans
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

I recall asking a steward where the room for Contepomi's presentation was after the Scarlets game the season before last (iirc) as it was by the new lansdowne clubhouse in a room I don't think we had ever used before for a Leinster event, and he didn't have a clue. I also don't think any of them are rugby fans and seem disinterested in the games.

It's always nice when you see Stewards at stadiums applauding or celebrtaining a score, which is often seen in France,and in fairness, Munster.

Where do they get these people? And is it possible to give the job to fans perhaps? Who understand the game, the culture and have a basic knowledge of the facilities and the sport for any visiting guests or newcomers to the game?

People who would enjoy the responsability and care about being ambassedors for Leinster rugby and the reputation of the team and want to do a good job and be helpful etc. whilst also being knowledgable...
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

[Jackass] wrote: People who would enjoy the responsability and care about being ambassedors for Leinster rugby and the reputation of the team and want to do a good job and be helpful etc. whilst also being knowledgable...
It went out to tender AFIK to an outside contract and the previous set of people largely recruited through the clubs were give a week or two notice.
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

odyboody wrote:Another thing which they have started doing is directing people returning to their seats to walk across the grass so they will not be walking in front of the people sitting in the front row. Brilliant logic, we will stop people walking in front of people in the front row and instead put twice as many if front of those in the front row of the 2nd level. Oh plus run the risk of someone slipping on the muck.
Yeah, got that returning to my seat in the South Stand. I asked why? and he said 'I want you to do it', to which i replied 'No' and walked along the 1st row.
3 Gold Stars
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:
Yeah, got that returning to my seat in the South Stand. I asked why? and he said 'I want you to do it', to which i replied 'No' and walked along the 1st row.
What about for people sitting near the front?
West Brit
Mullet

Post by West Brit »

I know they don't require as many in front of the Terrace as they have - how many of us do they think look fit enough to vault the fence and hedge? Especially as that would also be taking us further away from the bar.
Caveats apply as it is entirely possible that the information contained in the above post is either an attempt at a wind-up, an attempt at a joke or just plain wrong.
Sincero
Graduate

Post by Sincero »

suisse wrote:
This is why fns shouldn't be allowed on the pitch anymore - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD6vkSrw2Js

And then this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2qNnHsxq6g

I always liked getting players' autographes after matches in the old LR. But we hung around the back of the West Stand. If kids want programmes signed, I guess thye could wait behind the Anglesa Stand. The pitch is for players and officials, not fans
How can you possibly mention the utter chaos of Bogball and its supporters, or the generally disgusting behaviour of Wendyball fans when we're talking about rugby?

First off, rugby is better than that. Second, when was the last time a rugby fan ran onto the pitch at a top-level match and attacked an official or player? I've just never heard of it. And pitch invasions at the RDS? On what precedent are the stewards acting? It's just all part of stupid boards of eejits who have bugger all to do with rugby starting to treat us like Samanthaball hooligans.

Next steps, if anyone wants to know: no alcohol at the ground, no flags, and supporter segregation. :(
Be there, be blue! Sing loud and true! (Drink pint... or eight...) Diddlydoo!
mtleinster
Enlightened

Post by mtleinster »

Sincero wrote:Second, when was the last time a rugby fan ran onto the pitch at a top-level match and attacked an official or player? I've just never heard of it.

Not quite the same but...

Les chances que Sexton vienne en France sont infimes
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

ronk wrote:
Sauvignon Blank wrote:
What about for people sitting near the front?

What about them?

In order to get to my vantage point im going to have to go across a row of people. Just because you are at the front doesnt afford you special treatment. As someone pointed out, sending people across mud and up stairs in wet weather is more dangerous.
I'd be more concerned about the flag poles/sticks jutting out along the front as i've seen one lady trip over them and another guy stumble badly. I hit one last year only to break it fortunately for me but unfortunately for ther kid.
Also at the Connacht game numerous people were tripping up on the flooring which was sticking out of the ground. I informed a steward and he said he'd look into it. When i was leaving the ground i collared him asked why he did nothing about it and said he will look it into it :lol:
Anyone who thinks this crowd have safety top of their agenda are kidding themselves. From what I can see it's very slipshod security.
3 Gold Stars
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

I took the question to be about those sitting at the front returning to their seats and not about their view being obstructed. Could be wrong though.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!