Blues Talk tv

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

harblstuff
Bookworm

Re: Blues Talk tv

Post by harblstuff »

As Dave likes the Round of 16, over on Reddit I wrote about a possible logical format of the Pro16 and were South African teams to be admitted to the European Cup, a logical format that would facilitate a wider participation without sacrificing too much - but allowing for a Round of 16.

The context was in response to the South African teams being added to the European Cup and a confirmation that the current [shitty] format will be retained to facilitate this. The presumption is it may be a once off due to the failure of the rainbow cup (ie. they paid 6 million for 6 domestic derby fixtures only) - but knowing how poorly things can potentially be organised in sport, there is every chance this becomes the new norm.
As of yet we still don't know how the Pro16 will work, they said they're adding 4 new teams and there will be fewer games. I presume we will have 4 conferences of 4 teams. It's the only way we'll end up with fewer teams - play each team in your conference twice, home and away, then one fixture against each other team. Two home and two away fixtures for each conference, rotating annually.

So therefore we end up with: 6 in-conference (3x2) fixtures and 12 inter-conference (12x1) fixtures. 18 fixtures in total, quarter finals (+1 match), semi finals (+1 match) and final (+1 match) so that the maximum number of games for two teams is 21. This is a very minor reduction from 12 in-conference fixtures (6x2) and 7 cross-conference fixtures with 3 potential knockout matches (19 regular season + 3 knockouts for a max 22)

If South African teams were to be permanently added to the European Cup, I'd only be in favour of it if we expand the competition to 24 teams. 8 from the Pro16, 7 from the Top14 and Premiership, one promotion spot for the winner of the Champions Cup and 1 playoff between Top14 and Prem for an 8th spot.

Then break down the group stage in to 8 groups of 3 teams (works out nicely to 1 team per league in each group), so that way we only need 4 weekends to complete the group stage, move in to a Round of 16 (top 2 teams from each group), Quarter Finals, Semi Finals and a Final. The end result is 8 weeks of European Cup action with more high stakes knockout fixtures that include South African teams. (Compare this to the normal format of 6 group stage matches and 3 knockout rounds, we're saving 1 week of European Rugby)

The Pro16 calendar would only see 18 regular fixtures and 4 regular European fixtures, with the potential for 3 domestic knockout fixtures and 4 European knockout fixtures. Minumum games played 22, maximum possible 29. Although you could even add in a Round of 16 in the Pro16, but that feels redundant due to the poor quality of teams in 5th-8th place, even with South African teams, as usually only 1 or 2 non-Irish teams are competitive in any given year
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

bluestalktv wrote: April 23rd, 2021, 10:26 am This week Jason and Dave* preview Leinster's Rainbow Cup opener against Munster in the RDS and discuss the current focus on Women's Rugby in general and the Irish Women's team in particular

*John was on a tour of the Arms Park and getting his personalised new 'Cardiff Rugby' shirt
That was a top top episode, really great to hear about Jason's experience at Castleknock. Thank you!
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
bluestalktv
Knowledgeable

Post by bluestalktv »

This week we take a look back at Leinster’s loss to Munster in the opening round of the Rainbow Cup before previewing our trip to France to take on La Rochelle in the Semi-Final of the Heineken Champions Cup
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

bluestalktv wrote: April 30th, 2021, 7:14 pm This week we take a look back at Leinster’s loss to Munster in the opening round of the Rainbow Cup before previewing our trip to France to take on La Rochelle in the Semi-Final of the Heineken Champions Cup
Dave on the warpath, sounds like at the outset ...
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Jesus lads, I'm not as confident as you sound about playing ROG's La Rogelle
Daniel Sullivan
bluestalktv
Knowledgeable

Post by bluestalktv »

This week we take a look back at Leinster’s victory over Connacht in the Pro14 Rainbow Cup, foward to the visit of Ulster to the RDS, discuss the effects of the recent law changes on the game and the rest of the week’s Rugby news
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Ulster blues, "touts", "statelet" - highly amusing....
harblstuff
Bookworm

Post by harblstuff »

harblstuff wrote: April 27th, 2021, 5:10 pm As Dave likes the Round of 16, over on Reddit I wrote about a possible logical format of the Pro16 and were South African teams to be admitted to the European Cup, a logical format that would facilitate a wider participation without sacrificing too much - but allowing for a Round of 16.

The context was in response to the South African teams being added to the European Cup and a confirmation that the current [shitty] format will be retained to facilitate this. The presumption is it may be a once off due to the failure of the rainbow cup (ie. they paid 6 million for 6 domestic derby fixtures only) - but knowing how poorly things can potentially be organised in sport, there is every chance this becomes the new norm.
As of yet we still don't know how the Pro16 will work, they said they're adding 4 new teams and there will be fewer games. I presume we will have 4 conferences of 4 teams. It's the only way we'll end up with fewer teams - play each team in your conference twice, home and away, then one fixture against each other team. Two home and two away fixtures for each conference, rotating annually.

So therefore we end up with: 6 in-conference (3x2) fixtures and 12 inter-conference (12x1) fixtures. 18 fixtures in total, quarter finals (+1 match), semi finals (+1 match) and final (+1 match) so that the maximum number of games for two teams is 21. This is a very minor reduction from 12 in-conference fixtures (6x2) and 7 cross-conference fixtures with 3 potential knockout matches (19 regular season + 3 knockouts for a max 22)

If South African teams were to be permanently added to the European Cup, I'd only be in favour of it if we expand the competition to 24 teams. 8 from the Pro16, 7 from the Top14 and Premiership, one promotion spot for the winner of the Champions Cup and 1 playoff between Top14 and Prem for an 8th spot.

Then break down the group stage in to 8 groups of 3 teams (works out nicely to 1 team per league in each group), so that way we only need 4 weekends to complete the group stage, move in to a Round of 16 (top 2 teams from each group), Quarter Finals, Semi Finals and a Final. The end result is 8 weeks of European Cup action with more high stakes knockout fixtures that include South African teams. (Compare this to the normal format of 6 group stage matches and 3 knockout rounds, we're saving 1 week of European Rugby)

The Pro16 calendar would only see 18 regular fixtures and 4 regular European fixtures, with the potential for 3 domestic knockout fixtures and 4 European knockout fixtures. Minumum games played 22, maximum possible 29. Although you could even add in a Round of 16 in the Pro16, but that feels redundant due to the poor quality of teams in 5th-8th place, even with South African teams, as usually only 1 or 2 non-Irish teams are competitive in any given year
What do you know, I was close :wink:

No increase in Europe and a tougher qualification for our teams too though.
barbar84

Post by barbar84 »

I miss Blues Talk.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

barbar84 wrote: January 4th, 2022, 3:29 pm I miss Blues Talk.
Mise freisin - big time! Happy New Year to Dave, Jason & John. If yiz ever decide to get the band back together, I'd be thrilled!!! R
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

riocard911 wrote: January 4th, 2022, 3:32 pm
barbar84 wrote: January 4th, 2022, 3:29 pm I miss Blues Talk.
Mise freisin - big time! Happy New Year to Dave, Jason & John. If yiz ever decide to get the band back together, I'd be thrilled!!! R
+1
Dont Panic!
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

What’s the craic lads, did you have a falling out?
John23
Enlightened

Post by John23 »

Artistic and creative differences?
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

John23 wrote: February 19th, 2022, 2:50 pm Artistic and creative differences?
Conflicting assessments of the state of regional rugby in Wales?
John23
Enlightened

Post by John23 »

riocard911 wrote:
Johng's love of Cardiff is well documented
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

John23 wrote: February 19th, 2022, 3:08 pm
riocard911 wrote:
Is there any truth to the rumour that John jumped ship for the queen's pound and joined the new CardiffBluestalk podcast?
Daniel Sullivan
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

Peg Leg wrote: February 20th, 2022, 7:53 pm
John23 wrote: February 19th, 2022, 3:08 pm
riocard911 wrote:
Is there any truth to the rumour that John jumped ship for the queen's pound and joined the new CardiffBluestalk podcast?
Keep up.

They dropped the Blues bit.

It's Cardiff Talk.

Embarrassed for you.😳😳🥺🥺🤦🤦🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

IanD wrote: February 20th, 2022, 10:43 pm
John23 wrote: February 19th, 2022, 3:08 pm Johng's love of Cardiff is well documented
Keep up.

It's Cardiff Talk.

Scarlet(s) ??
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: February 20th, 2022, 11:04 pm
Keep up.

It's Cardiff Talk.

Scarlet(s) ??
That would have been much better.

I let myself down......
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

IanD wrote: February 20th, 2022, 11:47 pm
Oldschoolsocks wrote: February 20th, 2022, 11:04 pm

Keep up.

It's Cardiff Talk.

Scarlet(s) ??