Why cant Irish players do what Rocky does?

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

velvitjester
Graduate

Why cant Irish players do what Rocky does?

Post by velvitjester »

Ive just watched the semi final and im in the process of watching the final.
A few times in this final Murphy kicks the ball strait down the throat of Elsom who run back into space and kills some of their defenders.

There is no reason Heaslip,O'Brien or Jennings (who shows good pace in this match btw) could not do this.
So why dont they?

Is it a question of talent or the way they were brought up in regards to coaching?

Personally I think its the way they were coached,hes obviously been encouraged to run,whereas they have been encouraged to look for contact.

This is exacly what kills NH rugby in relation to the SH imo.
Munster V Leinster 2009-Stuart Barnes
The odds are on the men in red but there is genius in the blue team.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Re: Why cant Irish players do what Rocky does?

Post by neiliog93 »

There's a big culture in the sh of always looking for the offload, keeping the ball alive and keeping the pace up.

This is seen as far too risky by nh school coaches, as there is a bigger risk of giving away possession with an offload/run that might make you out on your own than there is with a simply running into contact and setting up the ruck.

This is probably because winning is so important at schools level in most nh countries, rather than developing young players' skills and attacking intuition for later years - like in the sh.

I have personal experience of this ( I was berated a couple of years ago for having the audacity to throw in an offload in a cup quarter final against Michaels. There was 5 minutes to go and we were winning 33 - 0. The offload even went to hand).

That's the sort of bullshit we're up against. That "winning is the most important thing" attitude that plagues all Irish sports at youth level, but particularly rugby.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

And that is why Irish players can't do what southern hemisphere players can - they've been taught all the way through not to.

I'm sure Rocky's early days in rugby weren't like that - he was probably rewarded for trying something adventurous.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mauler
Seán Cronin

Post by Mauler »

neiliog93 wrote:There's a big culture in the sh of always looking for the offload, keeping the ball alive and keeping the pace up.

This is seen as far too risky by nh school coaches, as there is a bigger risk of giving away possession with an offload/run that might make you out on your own than there is with a simply running into contact and setting up the ruck.

This is probably because winning is so important at schools level in most nh countries, rather than developing young players' skills and attacking intuition for later years - like in the sh.

I have personal experience of this ( I was berated a couple of years ago for having the audacity to throw in an offload in a cup quarter final against Michaels. There was 5 minutes to go and we were winning 33 - 0. The offload even went to hand).

That's the sort of bullshit we're up against. That "winning is the most important thing" attitude that plagues all Irish sports at youth level, but particularly rugby.
Agree with you, check out this try by Philippe Saint-André for France in Twickenham in 1991 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyXlSvELtOM
The French backs were amazing in that era, because they took risks, they ran into space, not into contact, and were willing to run the ball from behind their own line. But the philosophy of many rugby teams now is to kick away possession in order to force the opposition team into an error, thus playing the percentages. And the instructionsons the Refs are given in policing this area will continue to create this negative spectacle. Teams are kicking the ball away because defenses will not commit to the breakdown and the only way to break defences is by kicking the ball away.
'VJ Singh hits more balls than Elton John's chin' - David Feherty
simonno6
Rhys Ruddock

Post by simonno6 »

why can't australian players do what BOD does?
Saturday 23rd May 2009 - Number 1
Saturday 21st May 2011 - Brace
Saturday 19th May 2012 - Hatrick!
T.C.B.
Seán Cronin

Post by T.C.B. »

Touche.
"It's all fun and games 'till someone loses an eye, then it's just fun you can't see" - James Hetfield
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

While there's an aspect of aversion to risk taking and an emphasis on tackling and hard work at younger levels (I know a decent JCT flanker who thinks he's doing something wrong if the ball is in his hands (outside of a ruck or maul) it's also easy to point out that not everyone can be like Rocky because Rocky is great. Those times he ran the ball back into decent cover from deep would have been punished severely had a player of lesser ability attempted it.

We don't have players who tackle as well as him or backrow who are as good in lineouts. Come to think of it, Rocky would have been a 2nd row had he come through in Ireland.
Oscar
Mullet

Post by Oscar »

velvitjester wrote:Ive just watched the semi final and im in the process of watching the final.
A few times in this final Murphy kicks the ball strait down the throat of Elsom who run back into space and kills some of their defenders.

There is no reason Heaslip,O'Brien or Jennings (who shows good pace in this match btw) could not do this.
So why dont they?

It's a common tactic in some teams to leave a backrower covering in the back 3, getting a short rest, and being on hand to aid a counter attack by taking a pass, catching a kick etc and just charging up the guts of the defence. No reason an Irish forward couldn't do it, except most of our teams tend to prefer to have all 8 forwards at the defensive line.

I do remember Anthony Foley doing it to great effect against South Africa in November 2004. About the only time in his career we ever saw Axel get up a head of steam and run over some tacklers. Wood used to do it occasionally too. I'd love to see us try it with Ferris, Heaslip or Leamy next season. I'd love to see O'Brien or Heaslip doing it for Leinster too.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Wrong question - Why can't Australian players do what BOD does?
Apologies - I've just noticed the question has been put already.
Ah well - Great minds and all that.......
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
velvitjester
Graduate

Post by velvitjester »

Stirling Mortlock aint too shabby.
Munster V Leinster 2009-Stuart Barnes
The odds are on the men in red but there is genius in the blue team.
gfo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by gfo »

well the leinster team have got abuse for years for being a bunch of fairy ballet types for running with ball in hand and taking risks in attacking play. the general attitude in this country was 'go through the phases, grind out a try' and we are very traditional when it comes to tactics/playmaking
anonymous_joe
Bookworm

Post by anonymous_joe »

gfo wrote:well the leinster team have got abuse for years for being a bunch of fairy ballet types for running with ball in hand and taking risks in attacking play. the general attitude in this country was 'go through the phases, grind out a try' and we are very traditional when it comes to tactics/playmaking
Tactically Ireland's the kind of country where someone who invented the wheel would have been burned as a witch.

There's a big emphasis on winning as a kid, which isn't condusive to flair play, and moreover there's always been a love in this country of passion, fire, guts, playing the pick and drive et al.
Cows say moo.
simonno6
Rhys Ruddock

Post by simonno6 »

Oldschool wrote:Wrong question - Why can't Australian players do what BOD does?
Apologies - I've just noticed the question has been put already.
Ah well - Great minds and all that.......
:lol: :lol:
Saturday 23rd May 2009 - Number 1
Saturday 21st May 2011 - Brace
Saturday 19th May 2012 - Hatrick!
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

I have a theory about how all Irish schools pick players positions the same way.
Fat and short in first year - Prop
Fat and short in first year with some hand eye coordination - Hooker
Lanky - Second row
Fast- Wing
Some kicking skills - FB or OH
Don't really know what to do with you but thanks for showing up- Centre
Half leprechaun, Half Jack Russell terrier - SH
Spend half your life in detention - Back rower
leinsterlank
Knowledgeable

Post by leinsterlank »

RoboProp wrote:I have a theory about how all Irish schools pick players positions the same way.
Lanky - Second row
Fast- Wing
so true!!I play fullback, centre now, but because I was tall when I was young (lanky?) I was tried at second row and I just hated it!!It really is a very poor position.
"It feels great. I've played for the team for 10 years and it was worth the wait. I love Leinster and I wanted to do it before the end of my career."

- BOD, Heineken Cup and Grand Slam Winner 2009
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

Oscar wrote: It's a common tactic in some teams to leave a backrower covering in the back 3, getting a short rest, and being on hand to aid a counter attack by taking a pass, catching a kick etc and just charging up the guts of the defence.

PArisse has made a career out of it, hiding away from rucks as much as possible waiting for the opportunity to do a Hollywood run
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
gfo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by gfo »

RoboProp wrote:I have a theory about how all Irish schools pick players positions the same way.
Lanky - Second row
Fast- Wing

so true, if you're a fat bloke you dont need any kind of skill and you can get picked for tighthead, guys who play GAA walk into FB positions, centres are guys who can play but aren't exceptional anyway, but i've also found SH is a bit of a place filler position too, myself and my mate both got picked at SH and we couldn't pass a test, never mind a ball.
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

I went from out-half, to centre, back to out-half, then to 7. :D

All great positions to play. :mullet 1:
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

why can't the rest of the world do what BOD does ?
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

why can't ROG do what Sexton does?
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ