Leinster Schools Senior Cup Final 1996

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Tullius

Re: Leinster Schools Senior Cup Final 1996

Post by Tullius »

Hi RuggieBear, Hugonaut & Darce, I purchased an Ireland Schools Jersey :mrgreen: from the Australia Tour 1996 at a charity auction in Stradbrook c. 2003 - no 7, signed by the Blackrock College members of the Dream Team (as named by RuggieBear and hugonaut in these posts) :. Do you know if any of the players themselves would like to have it? I bought it for my son, then playing on JLT in Blackrock, which they won in 2004 I believe. However, it would probably mean something more to Barry Gibney, Tomas Keating, Ciaran Scally, David Johnson, Richard Woods, Robert Casey or Leo Cullen to keep it. Let me know please. I'm willing to give it to any of them for free.
gleesonisgod
Mullet

Post by gleesonisgod »

Darce wrote:
jrc wrote:
Darce wrote:Think Gary Brown played 13 that day.

Andrew Frame was the out half I think.

:?: :?: :?: :?:
I could be mixing them up with '97
That's the '99 team you're thinking of horse.
I like to think of Jesus like with giant eagles wings, and singin' lead vocals for Lynyrd Skynyrd with like an angel band and I'm in the front row and I'm hammered drunk!
gleesonisgod
Mullet

Post by gleesonisgod »

Oscar wrote:Brown and Frame would both have been 99. They were playing JCT in '96.

Come to think of it, they were part of a great JCT backline playing behind an average pack, that lost to Shane Jennings' Mary's team by a last minute penalty going wide. The 11, 13, 14 and 15 for that Rock team were the national 4x100m schools champions. Jennings was an utterly dominant no8 back then, savage player.
I remember Jenno as a No8 in 4th year. He was absolutely class. There's some story of him winning some match for Marys with a block down and scoring from it. Not sure the context but one of my mates was on the team and was telling me about it and I remember it was class whatever it was. :?
I like to think of Jesus like with giant eagles wings, and singin' lead vocals for Lynyrd Skynyrd with like an angel band and I'm in the front row and I'm hammered drunk!
blaker
Enlightened

Post by blaker »

gleesonisgod wrote:
Oscar wrote:Brown and Frame would both have been 99. They were playing JCT in '96.

Come to think of it, they were part of a great JCT backline playing behind an average pack, that lost to Shane Jennings' Mary's team by a last minute penalty going wide. The 11, 13, 14 and 15 for that Rock team were the national 4x100m schools champions. Jennings was an utterly dominant no8 back then, savage player.
I remember Jenno as a No8 in 4th year. He was absolutely class. There's some story of him winning some match for Marys with a block down and scoring from it. Not sure the context but one of my mates was on the team and was telling me about it and I remember it was class whatever it was. :?
Against Belvo. Last play of the game - OH only had to put it out. Jenno was 5th year I think
Ran from miiiiiiiiiiles out and got over the line with 3 Belvo guys hanging off him. One of the very rare times the Mary's contingent was at the Wes end and that was the corner he scored in. Total mother focking pandemonium as he ran to the line followed by .....sh!t I'm getting emotional on the Eurostar here.....glorious magnificence
Leinster jersey on the Great Wall of China.The Mongolians couldn't breach it but the Blues did!
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

Whats the difference between a 6 or 9 between friends...
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

Tullius wrote:Hi RuggieBear, Hugonaut & Darce, I purchased an Ireland Schools Jersey :mrgreen: from the Australia Tour 1996 at a charity auction in Stradbrook c. 2003 - no 7, signed by the Blackrock College members of the Dream Team (as named by RuggieBear and hugonaut in these posts) :. Do you know if any of the players themselves would like to have it? I bought it for my son, then playing on JLT in Blackrock, which they won in 2004 I believe. However, it would probably mean something more to Barry Gibney, Tomas Keating, Ciaran Scally, David Johnson, Richard Woods, Robert Casey or Leo Cullen to keep it. Let me know please. I'm willing to give it to any of them for free.
Hi Tullius,

I don't know about the players, but I'm sure the club would be delighted to display it in the club house.

Richie Woods does be around the club sometimes as does Leo. Bob once in a blue moon. Gibbo isn't involved now at all. Was a good coach for the AIL team a few years ago. Himself and Emmy Byrne. Always felt we should have hung on to them.
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
bamboozle
Bookworm

Post by bamboozle »

that was a great era in schools rugby, two other lads Travers the terenue centre & Dowling the pres brey/michaels wing/15 were also cut down early through injury from the irish squad which won in Oz.

one of my favourite games was Rock v Clongowes back in '97, BOD at 10 (and irish schools centre that year with shane moore as andy dunne was 10) missed a few drop goal attempts at the death to win it. Darc & Dillon on Clongowes, Rock had Scall & BOD at half back, SCT semi final and lansdowne seemed packed for it.
gleesonisgod
Mullet

Post by gleesonisgod »

bamboozle wrote:that was a great era in schools rugby, two other lads Travers the terenue centre & Dowling the pres brey/michaels wing/15 were also cut down early through injury from the irish squad which won in Oz.

one of my favourite games was Rock v Clongowes back in '97, BOD at 10 (and irish schools centre that year with shane moore as andy dunne was 10) missed a few drop goal attempts at the death to win it. Darc & Dillon on Clongowes, Rock had Scall & BOD at half back, SCT semi final and lansdowne seemed packed for it.
Probably the highlight of my days going to Schools matches. I was in 1st year and it might as well have been the World Cup Final. I would probably dwarf most of them now but back then they were monsters!
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

blaker wrote:
gleesonisgod wrote:

Against Belvo. Last play of the game - OH only had to put it out. Jenno was 5th year I think
Ran from miiiiiiiiiiles out and got over the line with 3 Belvo guys hanging off him. One of the very rare times the Mary's contingent was at the Wes end and that was the corner he scored in. Total mother focking pandemonium as he ran to the line followed by .....sh!t I'm getting emotional on the Eurostar here.....glorious magnificence
Don't remind me of that day...
Don't think drico was on that 96 team...remember hearing about how a yournger ex-rock student slagged him about not having a SCT winners medal despite all his achievements, BOD replied sayng yeah he would have loved one but he's moved on ... :wink:
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

tones wrote:Don't remind me of that day...
Don't think drico was on that 96 team...remember hearing about how a yournger ex-rock student slagged him about not having a SCT winners medal despite all his achievements, BOD replied sayng yeah he would have loved one but he's moved on ... :wink:
I believe it was a certain Castlerock student now pursuing a career in journalism giving op-ed pieces to the old lady late of D'Olier St.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

TerenureJim wrote:
tones wrote:Don't remind me of that day...
I believe it was a certain Castlerock student now pursuing a career in journalism giving op-ed pieces to the old lady late of D'Olier St.

If it was Cummiskey he is friends with BOD they were in the same year in school so I would imagine it was in jest. BOD benched in '96 anyway so would have a SCT medal.

EDIT: Apols. just reread your post (properly :oops: ).
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
Doc
Graduate

Post by Doc »

fyi
Blackrock strike blow for style and panache BLACKROCK: 37. NEWBRIDGE: 3.
EDMUND VAN ESBECK. Irish Times [Dublin] 18 Mar 1996:

At times during this season's competition, Blackrock seemed inhibited by a conservative approach, perhaps burdened by the expectation of emulating their predecessors. But they reserved the best until last. They decorated yesterday's triumph with a superb display of all purpose rugby. Unfortunately for Newbridge, they just had no answer, however hard they tried in the task of containment. The performance given by Blackrock was as good as I have seen at schools level, while their tactical appreciation was as perceptive as it was productive.
Blackrock had the game won by the interval, by which time they had built a 20-0 lead. Following [Neil O'Donovan]'s penalty, the opening try came three minutes later when David Johnson touched down after a very good movement. O'Donovan converted. Blackrock stood 10 points clear and were on their way. O'Donovan added a try in the 24th minute and [Shane Kelly] a third just on half time. That third try was a real killer for Newbridge.

TRADITION dies hard in schools rugby and it reasserted itself yet again, at Lansdowne Road yesterday, when Blackrock College, the most successful and potent force on the schools scene, retained the Leinster Senior Cup. They captured their 62nd title by defeating Newbridge, 37-3.

Not since the first year of this century, when Blackrock defeated Corrig School 63-0, has there been a more comprehensive victory in the final. Ironically, exactly 50 years ago, Blackrock defeated Newbridge 28-3. That had been the most decisive victory in the last 50 years until yesterday.

Through the years Blackrock College has sent out some very accomplished asides. After this excellent display, the current team can also be put in the quality bracket. Newbridge, for all their full hearted resolution, just could not match their combination of power, flair and opportunism.

At times during this season's competition, Blackrock seemed inhibited by a conservative approach, perhaps burdened by the expectation of emulating their predecessors. But they reserved the best until last. They decorated yesterday's triumph with a superb display of all purpose rugby. Unfortunately for Newbridge, they just had no answer, however hard they tried in the task of containment. The performance given by Blackrock was as good as I have seen at schools level, while their tactical appreciation was as perceptive as it was productive.

Playing with an appreciable wind in the first half, Blackrock took 13 minutes before registering the first score a penalty by out half Neil O'Donovan. He took over the kicking duties when centre David Quinlan, their frontline kicker, was carried from the field after just four minutes. If O'Donovan is not as accomplished in the art of place kicking as Quinlan, his play in the out half position was extremely good. He read his brief in an accomplished manner, while he enjoyed, a quality service from his half back partner, Ciaran Scally.

Blackrock's backs were all proficient and Shane Kelly proved a most able deputy for Quinlan.

Mind you, they got a great service from a tremendous pack. There was quality in every facet of the Blackrock pack's play. Their line out work was excellent, with Robert Casey and Leo Cullen dominant, and their rucking and mauling was of the highest calibre. The manner in which Blackrock recycled the ball bore the quality stamp.

One left the scene with profound sympathy for Newbridge. They tried their utmost to stem the tide up front Brian Flanagan, Eric Behan and Cathal Whelehan did their best to try and contain Blackrock. Their half backs, Jim Ferris and Geordan Murphy, never got the platform on which they might have been able to trouble their rivals.

Blackrock had the game won by the interval, by which time they had built a 20-0 lead. Following O'Donovan's penalty, the opening try came three minutes later when David Johnson touched down after a very good movement. O'Donovan converted. Blackrock stood 10 points clear and were on their way. O'Donovan added a try in the 24th minute and Kelly a third just on half time. That third try was a real killer for Newbridge.

Murphy kicked a penalty for Newbridge three minutes into the second half. With the wind at their backs and their forwards striving to match the Blackrock pack, they held their opponents scoreless for 23 minutes. But they could never seriously trouble the winners.

Blackrock finished the match as they had the first half, with a three try blitz in the closing 12 minutes. Michael Price, Woods and Cullen got the touchdowns, one of which O'Donovan converted. A six try tally was telling testimony to Blackrock's quality and supremacy.