for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

artaneboy
Shane Horgan

A whiff of Cordite

Post by artaneboy »

suisse wrote:
artaneboy wrote: June 5th, 2024, 7:36 pm
suisse wrote:Banning alcohol is stupid at your seat. There are other avenues to explore that work elsewhere instead of an outright ban. If they are unsuccessful then make that call. The system is so outdated at the Aviva. Everyone queueing up for the same half dozen selection. Options limited in the sense of where and what to buy.
How about ordering beers at your seat and someone delivers?
How about workers going up and down the stands with kegs on their bags?
Or workers going up and down the steps with cans?
Or selling pints with f%~king lids on them so they're easier to carry and won't spill?
How about granting a license to various independent breweries so there's a better selection?

Irish rugby should be comfortable with people drinking from their seats with cans or pints delivered to their seats. It isn't difficult
Why on earth should we “be comfortable” with something that is clearly neither comfortable for those who just want to match the match they’ve paid their seat for, nor necessary for any one who wants to drink? Isn’t watching the match the primary think that we all pay the ticket cost for? But you are more interested in new systems to privilege the secondary activity.

All your suggestions involve continuing that interference with why we are all there- other than your unrelated concern on the range and quality of beverages. That’s what’s “stupid”-to reuse your bizarre judgement.

Drink in the pub or stay in the concourse, if you’re that desperate for a drink. It’s really simple and much more considerate.
Lol. Yes, we're all alcoholics because we enjoy having a beer at a game. I like drinking, and I love having a pint at a game. As things currently stand, that option is still available in rugby and it is nice. I don't want to drink in the concourse. I don't want to drink in the pub. I want to drink in my seat. If they change the rules then so be it. But it is comforting to see how much it bothers you that all these desperate alcos are ruining your day. :x :x :x :x

And, the suggestions I provided absolutely do work. I'm guessing you're unfamiliar with how other countries approach alcohol being sold so you wanna lash out and act all grumpy again. There's a massive difference between bringing up cans to your seat as opposed to standing up continually to order 2 pints. A massive difference.
Jeez- that’s really “praise from Caesar”from you on grumpiness! Image You’ve raised the bar on crankiness on so much: the RDS experience generally, the Christmas Munster derby, to name but two. Image

And- heh, I’m fully aware that I can’t dictate to people who choose not to have the common courtesy not to unnecessarily be a nuisance to their fellow fans. And I’ve no faith that this will change anytime soon, while the Aviva commercial franchises and the RDS hospitality rights remain as they do.
Last edited by artaneboy on June 10th, 2024, 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

A whiff of Cordite

Post by artaneboy »

suisse wrote:
artaneboy wrote: June 4th, 2024, 11:41 pm
FtD wrote:
I can't see it - they're never going to want to forego the income, and aside from the irritation some fans experience of people going past them to the bar/jacks etc, "unruly fan behaviour" hasn't even been an issue.
Well that’s bullshit: “hasn’t been an issue…” It’s been an issue forever. It’s more than just irritating, it’s provoking. And there will eventually be incidents as a result.

It’s really simple, if you want to drink at the Aviva, stay out in the concourse and watch it on the bloody TVs. If you want to watch the match live, don’t drink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's really simple indeed. As things currently stand, you can drink at your seat. You don't have to stay in the concourse. You don't have to watch it on the bloody tvs. And if you want to watch the game, you can drink. You're right. It is very simple.

They're the current rules. If they change, then we'll all accept it. You won't see people bringing pints to their seats. But sadly for you, you can't dictate what people do or don't do at the games. I'm not sure for how long but you'll have to suck it up. Or maybe there'll be an incident.
Oh I’ll suck it up. Don’t you worry your contrary little head: there’ll be no incident- with me anyway.

That’s me done on this… for a while anyway.

Good luck… Image
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
sydneyexpat
Beginner

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Post by sydneyexpat »

The global etiquette from my experience is that it is bad form to disturb those around you during a game by getting up to go to/from the concession stands. You bring sufficient food and drink to your seats at the start of the first and second half. And do what you want before the game or at half time.

In Australia most grounds have "alcohol-free" zones to avoid this too but you would always expect heckling from those around you if you disturbed them to go to the bar or concession stand during a game.

The only exception if you're at an aisle seat of course.

I imagine it is more of an issue in Ireland as being allowed to drink at your seats is a novelty given that it is banned in GAA and League of Ireland/international football.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

artaneboy wrote: June 10th, 2024, 12:13 am
suisse wrote:
artaneboy wrote: June 4th, 2024, 11:41 pm
Well that’s bullshit: “hasn’t been an issue…” It’s been an issue forever. It’s more than just irritating, it’s provoking. And there will eventually be incidents as a result.

It’s really simple, if you want to drink at the Aviva, stay out in the concourse and watch it on the bloody TVs. If you want to watch the match live, don’t drink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's really simple indeed. As things currently stand, you can drink at your seat. You don't have to stay in the concourse. You don't have to watch it on the bloody tvs. And if you want to watch the game, you can drink. You're right. It is very simple.

They're the current rules. If they change, then we'll all accept it. You won't see people bringing pints to their seats. But sadly for you, you can't dictate what people do or don't do at the games. I'm not sure for how long but you'll have to suck it up. Or maybe there'll be an incident.
Oh I’ll suck it up. Don’t you worry your contrary little head: there’ll be no incident- with me anyway.

That’s me done on this… for a while anyway.

Good luck… Image
That's a pity. You're such a joyous individual most of the time.
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

I'm old enough to have experienced the fabled Lansdowne Roar and Molly Malone being sung to rub it in on the Welsh. Almost without exception everyone in the stadium was there with the sole purpose to see the match. Half the crowd, maybe more, were on the terraces ( no nipping out to the jacks or to get a tray of IPAs ). No online booking or season/debenture tickets so you would rarely get to sit with a load of mates, if you got a stand ticket. People concentrated 100% on the match and were not distracted by wondering whose round is next and will the bladder make it to half time. There was very little, well not as much, pre-match drinking, in order to avoid said bladder issues, hip flasks saw regular action and there was much much more post match drinking than today.

Things have now changed and the game is incredibly expensive to run ( 45 in the Leinster contingent travelling to SA, for example ) so the reality is that every financial nook and cranny has to be searched to generate revenue. It is a pain in the arse to be up and down all day while those with little interest in whats happening on the pitch go in and out but its a necessary pain in the arse to finance the quality of our Leinster and Ireland teams. Equally, financial requirements have resulted in greater access to match tickets for those whose interest is in being at an event that they can brag about afterwards.

I do miss the raw thrill of the Lansdowne Roar and of watching the match unimpeded by aisle shufflers but as B*witched wisely told us, c'est la vie.
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

Funnily enough I remember people going to the toilet in the 1980's. Wasn't a problem then. Wonder what's changed? Levels of entitlement?
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

offshorerules wrote: June 10th, 2024, 3:42 pm Funnily enough I remember people going to the toilet in the 1980's. Wasn't a problem then. Wonder what's changed? Levels of entitlement?
Yeah, I remember the north terrace in LR where the toilet was the terrace. I saw a drunk Scot get sparked out for pissing down a lads leg. Those complaining about having to stand up for 5 seconds and reminiscing about when there was no drinking in the stadium never had to pass people (normally girls/women) who had passed out from the crush on the terraces. It was a kip.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

offshorerules wrote: June 10th, 2024, 3:42 pm Funnily enough I remember people going to the toilet in the 1980's. Wasn't a problem then. Wonder what's changed? Levels of entitlement?
Social media elevates negative engagements. Complainers are more widely amplified and harder to ignore. If you have something you want to moan about enough here, everyone else is forced to read you. I have strong opinions about other subjects.

People were late for games way back, they drank and used bathrooms too. They also stood up way more during moments of action. It's much easier to have a few pints during a game (prices are relatively competitive with local pubs and the quality has improved a huge amount) and the stadium empties and fills far faster.

Drinks at seats are more disruptive and forcing someone to stand imposes a limit on how much they can drink both in terms of the time they lose and the fact they have to remain capable of walking. It's fixing a problem by making it worse.
curates_egg
Shane Horgan

Post by curates_egg »

sydneyexpat wrote: June 10th, 2024, 12:23 am

In Australia most grounds have "alcohol-free" zones to avoid this too but you would always expect heckling from those around you if you disturbed them to go to the bar or concession stand during a game.
That sounds like a perfect and reasonable solution. People who enjoy spending €80 entrance to then pay excessive prices for plastic cups of beer can continue to do so. Those who aren’t bothered by the small minority of aggressive drunks can sit with them.

But people on here seem to believe it is akin to fascism to suggest a section might be reserved for people who want to watch the game without the drunks.

In France, where I regularly attend, alcohol is banned in some competitions. I can understand how that goes too far for some people. Why anyone would oppose dry sections is beyond me.
dougie the flanker
Bookworm

Post by dougie the flanker »

These are basically the same arguments people had against the smoking ban. Now when we look back on it the thought of our pubs, airplanes, shops etc being full of people smoking and bothering non smokers seems unimaginable.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Would people accept a rise in ticket prices to offset the revenue lost due to loss in alcohol sales?
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

curates_egg wrote: June 10th, 2024, 5:29 pm
sydneyexpat wrote: June 10th, 2024, 12:23 am

That sounds like a perfect and reasonable solution. People who enjoy spending €80 entrance to then pay excessive prices for plastic cups of beer can continue to do so. Those who aren’t bothered by the small minority of aggressive drunks can sit with them.

But people on here seem to believe it is akin to fascism to suggest a section might be reserved for people who want to watch the game without the drunks.

In France, where I regularly attend, alcohol is banned in some competitions. I can understand how that goes too far for some people. Why anyone would oppose dry sections is beyond me.
I haven't seen one reaction like you suggest. Most agree that a non drinking section is a suitable compromise.
curates_egg
Shane Horgan

Post by curates_egg »

blockhead wrote: June 11th, 2024, 10:10 am Would people accept a rise in ticket prices to offset the revenue lost due to loss in alcohol sales?
Whataboutery. Would the drunks, who cannot control their behaviour, accept that they are liable to provide compensation to those of us who don't want to sit near them?

A dry section does not imply any loss in revenue. The drunks can drink as much as they like.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

curates_egg wrote: June 11th, 2024, 10:16 am
blockhead wrote: June 11th, 2024, 10:10 am Would people accept a rise in ticket prices to offset the revenue lost due to loss in alcohol sales?
Whataboutery. Would the drunks, who cannot control their behaviour, accept that they are liable to provide compensation to those of us who don't want to sit near them?

A dry section does not imply any loss in revenue. The drunks can drink as much as they like.
A FFS, give it a rest with the "drunks" and "abusive drunks" cr@p. I've been going to LR for over 45 years and you could count the violent or abusive incidents on the fingers of one hand of your man from the The Banshees of Inisheerin.
Observingprop123
Mullet

Post by Observingprop123 »

dougie the flanker wrote: June 11th, 2024, 9:58 am These are basically the same arguments people had against the smoking ban. Now when we look back on it the thought of our pubs, airplanes, shops etc being full of people smoking and bothering non smokers seems unimaginable.
I'm not sure something that gives you cancer can be compared of having to stand up ffs.
dougie the flanker
Bookworm

Post by dougie the flanker »

Observingprop123 wrote: June 11th, 2024, 10:40 am
dougie the flanker wrote: June 11th, 2024, 9:58 am These are basically the same arguments people had against the smoking ban. Now when we look back on it the thought of our pubs, airplanes, shops etc being full of people smoking and bothering non smokers seems unimaginable.
I'm not sure something that gives you cancer can be compared of having to stand up ffs.
Thats true but the response here is proportional. Nobody is suggesting that alcohol is banned from everywhere. Merely that at matches an area be designed alcohol free which is a very common approach in other areas.

When I was mentioning the smoking ban difference in pubs I wasn't actually even thinking about the health benefits. Even just the lack of smoke and smell in restaurants and workplaces etc.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

It's hard to be seen as anything other than the bad guy when you're talking about murdering people because they get up and down from their seats too often for your liking.

I'd take a little inconvenience from people enjoying themselves over having to sit around such extreme negativity so I wouldn't particularly mind them being sent to a different section of the ground. But maintaining sections of the ground for various curmudgeon creates overhead and I'm not particularly disposed to having to accommodate their inflexibility.

A family section where you can only go if you're accompanying kids would be higher on my list if we were to stratify fan groups. Every area should be a family friendly area, but somewhere even better for younger kids would be cool.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Where I am alcohol can only be drank at the bars behind the stands - there are TVs there so you can still watch the game.
The exception is that light beer (3.5%) can be brought to your seats. However at the ice-hockey you can not go back in (from the bar, toilet, whatever) until there is a break in play. That's something that could be trialed - wait until the ball goes out of play or a penalty is awarded to allow people back to their seats. The disruption would be reduced a bit (granted play might have restarted by the team everyone is back at their seats) and I'd imagine people would probably go to the bar during the game that bit less.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

ronk wrote: June 11th, 2024, 11:04 am It's hard to be seen as anything other than the bad guy when you're talking about murdering people because they get up and down from their seats too often for your liking.

I'd take a little inconvenience from people enjoying themselves over having to sit around such extreme negativity so I wouldn't particularly mind them being sent to a different section of the ground. But maintaining sections of the ground for various curmudgeon creates overhead and I'm not particularly disposed to having to accommodate their inflexibility.

A family section where you can only go if you're accompanying kids would be higher on my list if we were to stratify fan groups. Every area should be a family friendly area, but somewhere even better for younger kids would be cool.
The same gobchytes would probably object to having kids near their seats.
kff15
Knowledgeable

Post by kff15 »

johng wrote: June 11th, 2024, 12:19 pm
ronk wrote: June 11th, 2024, 11:04 am It's hard to be seen as anything other than the bad guy when you're talking about murdering people because they get up and down from their seats too often for your liking.

The same gobchytes would probably object to having kids near their seats.
Got that, thanks - the gobchyte is the guy who wants to sit in his seat and watch rugby