Leinster vs Benetton, Feb 17th, 2024

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: Leinster vs Benetton, Feb 17th, 2024

Post by wixfjord »

I wonder might they release Larmour or Frawley to play given our lack of back three options and their need for game time? Might be a good test run if Keenan is out for Wales.

Byrne, McKee, Mike, Molony, Jenkins, Deegan, Penny, Culhane, McGrath, Ross/Sam, Russell, Brownlee, Turner, TOB, Larmour?

Barron, Boyle/Milne, Clarkson, Deeny, Connors, Murphy, Sam/Tector, Andrew Osborne.

Could do with one of Osborne/Ngatai/JOB coming back in as that backline is a little bit lame looking.

If Larmour/Frawley aren't released and Cosgrave is injured, I wonder will they throw McErlean or someone in for their debut. Nobody else in that 23 really plays full back.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Observingprop123 wrote: February 12th, 2024, 9:17 am If Keenan is out for Wales I'll doubt we will get Frawley back. Benneton are missing a load of players so probably a good time to play the academy lads.
I'd expect to get back Harry Byrne and/or Prendergast.

Frawley back has become unlikely unless Keenan is clearly ready to go.
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

Dave Cahill wrote: February 11th, 2024, 11:52 pm
Serb wrote: February 11th, 2024, 11:46 pm
D4surfer wrote:Will we get anyone back that has had limited time with Ireland?
Who would be in that category? Only Frawley hasn’t featured, but did make a match day squad. We’ll get Prendergast back, but that’s it I’d say.
Frawley came on for Nash in the 79th minute in Marseilles!
Ah, missed his one minute cameo (and also relied on Ultimate Rugby to give me correct information about the subs :lol:)
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

They usually announce who's being released back to their provinces in advance. Does this happen tomorrow or Wednesday normally?
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Jamie Osborne and Ross Byrne have stepped up their return to training. Reading between the lines this game may come a week too early though.

No update on Moloney, Soroka, Ngatai, Foley or Jimmy O'Brien.

https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/2024/02/12 ... etton-tie/
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

So if Cosgrave can't get a look in here then he's probably done?
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Excellent news that both of those are back into contention.

Frawley also training which is interesting and may mean Keenan isn't too bad or may mean he is bad and they want Frawley at 15.

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

paddyor wrote: February 12th, 2024, 2:03 pm So if Cosgrave can't get a look in here then he's probably done?
He's injured right?
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

wixfjord wrote: February 12th, 2024, 10:46 am I wonder might they release Larmour or Frawley to play given our lack of back three options and their need for game time? Might be a good test run if Keenan is out for Wales.

Byrne, McKee, Mike, Molony, Jenkins, Deegan, Penny, Culhane, McGrath, Ross/Sam, Russell, Brownlee, Turner, TOB, Larmour?

Barron, Boyle/Milne, Clarkson, Deeny, Connors, Murphy, Sam/Tector, Andrew Osborne.

Could do with one of Osborne/Ngatai/JOB coming back in as that backline is a little bit lame looking.

If Larmour/Frawley aren't released and Cosgrave is injured, I wonder will they throw McErlean or someone in for their debut. Nobody else in that 23 really plays full back.
Cosgrave isn't mentioned in the injury updates.

Given the injuries Ireland have in the back 3 I don't think we'll be getting any of them back. Do you really learn anything playing Frawley or Larmour at 15 vs Bennetton you wou'd already know?
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Colmodon
Bookworm

Post by Colmodon »

paddyor wrote: February 12th, 2024, 2:07 pm
wixfjord wrote: February 12th, 2024, 10:46 am I wonder might they release Larmour or Frawley to play given our lack of back three options and their need for game time? Might be a good test run if Keenan is out for Wales.

Cosgrave isn't mentioned in the injury updates.

Given the injuries Ireland have in the back 3 I don't think we'll be getting any of them back. Do you really learn anything playing Frawley or Larmour at 15 vs Bennetton you wou'd already know?
I don't think Leinster typically include academy players in injury updates?
FtD
Enlightened

Post by FtD »

Yeah, they don't mention them. Cosgrave got a bad injury, probably a season ender, in the game between Leinster Development and Ireland U20s in first week of Jan.

In a piece with Joe McCarthy in the IT over the weekend it revealed Paddy McCarthy was injured since October as well with a shoulder injury, which is just more evidence of how Leinster don't update on academy players.

Same piece also revealed Joe McCarthy is currently at 125kgs and Paddy McCarthy around 115kgs. Paddy looks to have a frame where he could easily put more on because as bizarre as it sounds they both look relatively slim for their listed weights.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

I don't think we'll get anybody back bar Sam Prendergast. Ireland are pretty thin in the back three and, just like Leinster at outhalf, it's not clear to the outside world if Farrell wants to see Frawley or Harry as his back-up to Crowley. So I'd imagine that all of Larmour, Frawley and Harry will remain with Ireland.

I'd see us going with a 6/2 split in this one. We've loads of quality in the squad in the pack, not as much in the backs ... and we have more injuries in the backs to contend with than we have in the forwards. I'd get Rhys in on the bench, he'd be a great sub to bring on. Tommy O'Brien covers all the three-quarter positions and could do a job as a fullback if required, he's a smashing tackler.

To be frank though, no idea who we are going to put out at fullback – Hugo with Ireland [and injured], Jimmy injured, Cosgrave injured. I suppose McErlean is the next man up. My memory of Treviso is that it is a boggy pitch. It's going to be tough to change direction on, which will severely impact his game.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

hugonaut wrote: February 12th, 2024, 2:29 pm

I don't think we'll get anybody back bar Sam Prendergast. Ireland are pretty thin in the back three and, just like Leinster at outhalf, it's not clear to the outside world if Farrell wants to see Frawley or Harry as his back-up to Crowley. So I'd imagine that all of Larmour, Frawley and Harry will remain with Ireland.

I'd see us going with a 6/2 split in this one. We've loads of quality in the squad in the pack, not as much in the backs ... and we have more injuries in the backs to contend with than we have in the forwards. I'd get Rhys in on the bench, he'd be a great sub to bring on. Tommy O'Brien covers all the three-quarter positions and could do a job as a fullback if required, he's a smashing tackler.

To be frank though, no idea who we are going to put out at fullback – Hugo with Ireland [and injured], Jimmy injured, Cosgrave injured. I suppose McErlean is the next man up. My memory of Treviso is that it is a boggy pitch. It's going to be tough to change direction on, which will severely impact his game.
Frawley is back with Leinster and not sure the state of the pitch in Treviso will have much impact this weekend.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

It's at the RDS Hugo.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

desperado wrote: February 12th, 2024, 2:38 pm

It's at the RDS Hugo.
Thank Jaysis.

I stand by my comments on the state of Treviso's pitch, however!
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

cormac wrote: February 12th, 2024, 2:32 pm

Frawley is back with Leinster and not sure the state of the pitch in Treviso will have much impact this weekend.
Thank Jaysis x2.

Frawley at fullback then, the perfect man for the job. That makes the team look a lot stronger on paper. We'll have two out halves and goal kickers on the pitch to start with, won't need to carry one on the bench.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

The top of table clash will be between the 2 teams missing the most players during the 6N.

Funny how it works out.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Ross B doing deadlifts with a reasonable amount of weight would indicate that he's not far off.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Will Connors is essential in our back-row for this game. Also he has earned a call.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Ruckedtobits wrote: February 12th, 2024, 5:13 pm Will Connors is essential in our back-row for this game. Also he has earned a call.
Why is he ‘essential’?