Racing in Le Harve

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Re: Racing in Le Harve

Post by curates_egg »

Healy's red overturned! Free for selection for this weekend.
Weird one.
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

I thought Healy’s was a clear red, really strange call to rescinde. I also think Lowe’s was a red; he led with the forearm and it looked like separation from the body.
Good result for Leinster to have the two players available but not great for player protection in rugby.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

I thought the red was harsh. He was low attempting a legit tackle and there was a significant change of direction.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

It’s been discussed ad nauseum on the match thread. What’s relevant for this thread is his availability.

I wouldn’t select him ahead of Byrne, based on what we’ve seen this season.
If Furlong is injured, I wonder will we see him as the tighthead sub?
I thought that experiment was a failure but we returned to it this season. Clarkson also doesn’t look ready at this level.
Either way, we would be hoping for a big shift from Big Mike.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

curates_egg wrote: December 8th, 2022, 6:09 am It’s been discussed ad nauseum on the match thread. What’s relevant for this thread is his availability.

I thought that experiment was a failure but we returned to it this season. Clarkson also doesn’t look ready at this level.
So select the 'world class' Conan ahead of the in form Baird but select the in form (?) Ed Byrne ahead of the 'world class' Healy?
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

wixfjord wrote: December 8th, 2022, 10:10 am
curates_egg wrote: December 8th, 2022, 6:09 am It’s been discussed ad nauseum on the match thread. What’s relevant for this thread is his availability.

So select the 'world class' Conan ahead of the in form Baird but select the in form (?) Ed Byrne ahead of the 'world class' Healy?
I didn't say I would select Conan. Never.
I said I would understand if the coaches selected him. And I would totally understand if the coaches selected Healy for exactly the same reason.
If you had bothered to read any of my posts, rather than knee-jerk negatively reacting on what you thought you read, it might help you.

I actually knew you would jump on this. It's so predictable. I almost didn't post it as a result.
I don't what I ever did to justify your constant sniping. But I know it's not a reflection of me. I hope you are ok.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

curates_egg wrote: December 8th, 2022, 10:13 am
wixfjord wrote: December 8th, 2022, 10:10 am

I didn't say I would select Conan. Never.
I said I would understand if the coaches selected him. And I would totally understand if the coaches selected Healy for exactly the same reason.
If you had bothered to read any of my posts, rather than knee-jerk negatively reacting on what you thought you read, it might help you.

I actually knew you would jump on this. It's so predictable. I almost didn't post it as a result.
I don't what I ever did to justify your constant sniping. But I know it's not a reflection of me. I hope you are ok.
For someone with such strong self righteous opinions, you really don't like being disagreed with and challenged do you?

Would you call the current iteration of Cian Healy 'world class' based on your definition of 'demonstrated the potential to be among the world's best players'?
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

We have a couple of distinct ways we play. We love to bully the Scottish, Welsh and fellow Irish URC teams because we have a better pack and we can. We seem to throw it around more against the Saffa teams although the evidence is limited. Do we do A or B this week or maybe a bit of both? It is obviously a challenge to bully a Top 14 pack but I believe that we have the cattle to do so.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

the spoofer wrote: December 8th, 2022, 10:47 am We have a couple of distinct ways we play. We love to bully the Scottish, Welsh and fellow Irish URC teams because we have a better pack and we can. We seem to throw it around more against the Saffa teams although the evidence is limited. Do we do A or B this week or maybe a bit of both? It is obviously a challenge to bully a Top 14 pack but I believe that we have the cattle to do so.

Away to French teams we have traditionally relied on our pack - not to bully teams, but to take them through multiple sets of multiple structured phases, something that you don't really see in Top14 Rugby, using footwork and body position in the carry and precision in the ruck to take the opposition to places they're uncomfortable with. It relies massively on the half backs too - the 9 to see weak points and direct his forwards to them, and the 10 to see that one player wider out who might have moved a step in the wrong direction leaving a weakness in the defensive line.
I have Bumbleflex
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Dave Cahill wrote: December 8th, 2022, 11:03 am
the spoofer wrote: December 8th, 2022, 10:47 am We have a couple of distinct ways we play. We love to bully the Scottish, Welsh and fellow Irish URC teams because we have a better pack and we can. We seem to throw it around more against the Saffa teams although the evidence is limited. Do we do A or B this week or maybe a bit of both? It is obviously a challenge to bully a Top 14 pack but I believe that we have the cattle to do so.

Away to French teams we have traditionally relied on our pack - not to bully teams, but to take them through multiple sets of multiple structured phases, something that you don't really see in Top14 Rugby, using footwork and body position in the carry and precision in the ruck to take the opposition to places they're uncomfortable with. It relies massively on the half backs too - the 9 to see weak points and direct his forwards to them, and the 10 to see that one player wider out who might have moved a step in the wrong direction leaving a weakness in the defensive line.
Very true. Racing have been talking up their ability to play multi phase play this week but I wonder is that a smoke screen.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

As mentioned previously, I watched the Toulon v Racing 92 game on Viaplus and thought almost the entire game was an abomination until the final 10 minutes. I was also fortunate to be in Bayonne, when Racing, with a full side, played Bayonne on Sat afternoon in 30C sunshine. Racing are exciting but not extraordinary. Their half-backs & mid-field are where they set the style pattern. Le Garrac & Russell both believe their media profiles and are very confident players.

However, their back three are not at the standards of previous years, although Imhoff is still a superb finisher.

Up front, they are more Castres than Toulouse, La Rochelle or Saracens. They provided enough ball in earlier games to beat Montpelier & Clermont but they don't murder other packs and are a mobile group who look fit enough to go for 80 minutes.

We will have our hands full on Saturday and will certainly have to be in the right frame of mind for this game. The pitch will be unfamiliar to both teams but it will be a noisy home crowd in a very acoustic stadium - (who are the Officials?).

With J10 we should win by +7-10 pts. Without him, it will be very tight.
TMC
Knowledgeable

Post by TMC »

curates_egg wrote: December 7th, 2022, 11:22 am
hugonaut wrote: December 6th, 2022, 4:55 pm
wixfjord wrote: December 6th, 2022, 4:36 pm

Including the coaching team?

Rhys is a cracking and much loved player. For whatever reason he doesn't seem in favour or in the conversation for our first 23 at the moment.
I think they are making an investment in Ryan Baird which is completely worthwhile. If they want him to be a No6 [which I think is a great position for him] then they are going to have to play him at No6. We have no 'A' matches, and it would be the next thing to pointless playing him in those anyway, he's way above that standard no matter the number on his back.

The coaches have done a really good job of spreading the minutes around. Rhys should have 55-60 more minutes; he came off injured after 4 minutes against the Sharks.

1. Josh van der Flier 319 mins [4+0]
2. Ryan Baird 305mins [4+1]
3. Max Deegan 293 mins [4+0]
4. Scott Penny 284 mins [4+0]
5. Rhys Ruddock 209 mins [4+0]
6. Jack Conan 196 mins [3+1]
7. Caelan Doris 188 mins [3+1]
8. Will Connors 172mins [1+3]
9. Martin Moloney 130 mins [0+3]

Backrow is an injury factory, so there are always going to be chances to play once you are not one of the injured parties.
The top five players on that list have all performed very well and consistently this season (as has Doris).
Rhys's shift against Munster was one of his typically understated/unseen massive shifts. Marred by a couple of knock-ons. But I, and others, praised him on the thread - and also included him in my list of those who could be picked up above.

For those with short memories: he came on for Doris in the final just six months ago and, in his fourteen minutes, ended up making twice the amount of tackles Doris did in the whole game. Yes, we were defending relentlessly in that period, but by god he delivered.
Just as Baird brings something different to the side at 6, we absolutely lose something when we don't pick Ruddock.

Baird replaced him against La Rochelle in 2021 (after Ruddock got injured in the first half), even though we also had Fardy on the bench. We all know how that worked out.

But we are now two years on. And I also like what I have seen from Baird this season. We won't know if he really has the top-level dog needed until he gets tested at this level.
Does that need to be in our Euro opener, away in France? I'm not sure.
We will find out soon enough what the coaches think anyway.

Was thinking the same thing re the heresy of the non believers & Rhys as I read the thread. The Semi v La Rochelle 2021 changed immediately when he went off injured. In the spring of 2021 Baird just didn’t have the nous or the presence to replicate what he brings to the team, don’t think 2022 Baird has it yet tbh. The old dog for the hard road. Away games in France with crowds are a very different challenge, even if it is Le Harve instead of Paris.

Does Conan on current form have the ability to change a game in the way Deegan or Baird could of the bench? Both of their carrying and footwork would look to be superior to his at the moment. Its been a while since he had an impact in a game that made you sit up and go wow. Its about what players can deliver this Saturday, not what happened in the past. For me Deegan shades it in terms of his carrying over Baird but it’s a close run thing. Deegan has worked hard to rediscover his form and has seen himself drop down the pecking order while injured. It takes real mental fortitude to claw your way back in post injury. (Porridge will need to show if he has what it takes too over the next few months) You need that kind of resilience and attitude away in France as chances are you will be under the pump for stretches of the game.

Personally would start Rhys at 6 with Deegan on the bench. Doubt the brains trust will go that way however.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

It's a serious headache to figure out the third back row starter and the lock/BR on the bench. If Baird is in the 23, do you need Ross M. on the bench? Do you need both of Conan and Deegan in the 23 given Doris covers 6/8 as well?
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Ruckedtobits wrote: December 8th, 2022, 11:14 am
We will have our hands full on Saturday and will certainly have to be in the right frame of mind for this game. The pitch will be unfamiliar to both teams but it will be a noisy home crowd in a very acoustic stadium - (who are the Officials?).
Referee: Luke Pearse
AR1: Henry Walbaum
AR2: John Meredith
TMO: Andrew Jackson
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Xanthippe wrote: December 8th, 2022, 5:17 pm
Ruckedtobits wrote: December 8th, 2022, 11:14 am
Referee: Luke Pearse
AR1: Henry Walbaum
AR2: John Meredith
TMO: Andrew Jackson
Cheers Xan. Much appreciated.

Pearse is a little bit of a 'wild card' but largely impervious to 'crowd pressure'.
Last edited by Ruckedtobits on December 9th, 2022, 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

I think he's one of the better refs out there.
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

riocard911 wrote: December 8th, 2022, 6:49 pm I think he's one of the better refs out there.
+1
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Yeesh, no J10 or Furlong.

Healy benching as TH really shows we don't trust Vakh/Clarkson yet.

Other than that side looks great. Bench impact takes a little bit of a hit but still loads of experience there too.

Ngatai being available is a big plus.

Baird gets the nod at 6.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »