New contracts for coaching ticket

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Post Reply
Topdawg
Beginner
Posts: 40
Joined: May 21st, 2013, 12:38 pm

Re: New contracts for coaching ticket

Post by Topdawg »

Can see Leo moving “upstairs” in the future but not for next season…he said as much back in March

Are the below changes most likely at this point

Felipe - Noel Mc
Leamy- Sean O’Brien

Don’t think it weakens the coaching ticket in any way.
User avatar
curates_egg
Rhys Ruddock
Posts: 2907
Joined: November 29th, 2011, 3:50 pm
Location: Brussels, Belgium

Re: New contracts for coaching ticket

Post by curates_egg »

Dave Cahill wrote: May 16th, 2022, 1:54 pm I think he's doing okay - I think people forget that as a loosehead, Porter is a novice. Without taking the scrum into account, having Porter and Furlong on the pitch at the same time is a huge plus for us - so there's an element of swings and roundabouts there when it comes to the scrum until Porter gets fully up to speed.
That's fair.
One tends to forget the Porter switch is so recent because it has, in general, been seamless. Or, rather, it has improved us in many ways by having the two of them on the pitch, as you say.
It's also fair that, in his first season, he will still be learning (and under pressure) against the top scrums.
The French commentary were making a big deal out of it (in the replay I watched): didn't seem to think Big Mike was under pressure.

For McBryde to have managed that (and brought through the two hookers) is of course a pretty important role.
Like, it was essentially a brand new Leinster front row for the second half, and even after 20 minutes.
User avatar
jezzer
Shane Jennings
Posts: 7282
Joined: February 1st, 2006, 11:41 am

Re: New contracts for coaching ticket

Post by jezzer »

curates_egg wrote: May 17th, 2022, 8:50 am
Dave Cahill wrote: May 16th, 2022, 1:54 pm I think he's doing okay - I think people forget that as a loosehead, Porter is a novice. Without taking the scrum into account, having Porter and Furlong on the pitch at the same time is a huge plus for us - so there's an element of swings and roundabouts there when it comes to the scrum until Porter gets fully up to speed.
That's fair.
One tends to forget the Porter switch is so recent because it has, in general, been seamless. Or, rather, it has improved us in many ways by having the two of them on the pitch, as you say.
It's also fair that, in his first season, he will still be learning (and under pressure) against the top scrums.
The French commentary were making a big deal out of it (in the replay I watched): didn't seem to think Big Mike was under pressure.

For McBryde to have managed that (and brought through the two hookers) is of course a pretty important role.
Like, it was essentially a brand new Leinster front row for the second half, and even after 20 minutes.
What ever about the fabled dark arts of the front row - strategies to destabilize and strategies to counter being attacked - i think that our scrum issues have generally come from the opposition locks and no8 getting more power into the shove than ours do. Most of the scrums where Leinster have been properly mangled are when you can see the oppo back 5 driving their front rows through ours.

Sure, Porter improving his tactics to handle the massive top-tier THPs, will always help. Sheehan putting on more muscle and accelerating his front row apprenticeship will too.

But we have locks who fly around the field, hit rucks at lightning speed, throw pullback passes like flyhalves, get up to disrupt lineouts, join backs on linebreaks..... It's a different physical profile that will always show up against the giant scrums but will be compensated in a ton of other areas.
mildlyinterested
Rob Kearney
Posts: 8291
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: New contracts for coaching ticket

Post by mildlyinterested »

Topdawg wrote: May 17th, 2022, 8:32 am Can see Leo moving “upstairs” in the future but not for next season…he said as much back in March

Are the below changes most likely at this point

Felipe - Noel Mc
Leamy- Sean O’Brien

Don’t think it weakens the coaching ticket in any way.
more and more, I think i'd rather see SOB start in the academy..
User avatar
cormac
Shane Jennings
Posts: 6647
Joined: May 24th, 2006, 2:05 pm

Re: New contracts for coaching ticket

Post by cormac »

curates_egg wrote: May 16th, 2022, 1:22 pm There's a Welsh hack on Twitter claiming that McBryde is the central element in Leinster's success this season.

I've no strong opinion on him. But our scrum and maul defence have clearly regressed under him.
That may not be his fault, but what is the added-value he is bringing?
Do any of those on here that are more au-fait with the dark arts think he is doing a good job?
The person who posted that on Twitter is a WUM. He doesn't actually believe it.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
FLIP
Rhys Ruddock
Posts: 2484
Joined: May 22nd, 2009, 1:00 am

Re: New contracts for coaching ticket

Post by FLIP »

cormac wrote: May 18th, 2022, 9:08 pm
curates_egg wrote: May 16th, 2022, 1:22 pm There's a Welsh hack on Twitter claiming that McBryde is the central element in Leinster's success this season.

I've no strong opinion on him. But our scrum and maul defence have clearly regressed under him.
That may not be his fault, but what is the added-value he is bringing?
Do any of those on here that are more au-fait with the dark arts think he is doing a good job?
The person who posted that on Twitter is a WUM. He doesn't actually believe it.
edjenks? Yes, he was the feckwit spreading the whole no tunnel narrative earlier this season
Anyone But New Zealand
User avatar
ronk
Cian Healy
Posts: 12917
Joined: April 9th, 2009, 12:42 am

Re: New contracts for coaching ticket

Post by ronk »

Speculative article, and probably not that unexpected.

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/other/le ... ar-AAXmKdv
User avatar
Serb
Enlightened
Posts: 799
Joined: March 27th, 2012, 3:27 pm

Re: New contracts for coaching ticket

Post by Serb »

Interesting thought. We’ve probably known Contepomi was on his way out for months at this point so you’d imagine whoever is replacing him is already deep in negotiations.

Would love to see Nacewa back but feels like it’s important for him to live near his family, so would be surprised to see him sign up.
User avatar
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner
Posts: 23928
Joined: January 24th, 2006, 3:32 pm
Location: None of your damn business
Contact:

Re: New contracts for coaching ticket

Post by Dave Cahill »

I'd say that whoever is replacing him is already signed and sealed - and (this is purely speculative on my part) is currently with a club so they're waiting until the season is over (for them ast least) to announce it
I have Bumbleflex
mildlyinterested
Rob Kearney
Posts: 8291
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: New contracts for coaching ticket

Post by mildlyinterested »

Noel McNamara be my bet.
wixfjord
Rob Kearney
Posts: 8434
Joined: April 13th, 2009, 1:00 pm

Re: New contracts for coaching ticket

Post by wixfjord »

If we can't get McNamara, who would seem the obvious and best choice, then a duo of Isa & SOB would be pretty cool.

Proper 'boot room' succession planning that.
User avatar
curates_egg
Rhys Ruddock
Posts: 2907
Joined: November 29th, 2011, 3:50 pm
Location: Brussels, Belgium

Re: New contracts for coaching ticket

Post by curates_egg »

I assumed it was McNamara. But would Sexton not be in the conversation?
mildlyinterested
Rob Kearney
Posts: 8291
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: New contracts for coaching ticket

Post by mildlyinterested »

curates_egg wrote: May 19th, 2022, 11:00 am I assumed it was McNamara. But would Sexton not be in the conversation?
He is still playing.
User avatar
Barry
Knowledgeable
Posts: 487
Joined: February 20th, 2009, 4:16 pm
Location: Dunsany

Re: New contracts for coaching ticket

Post by Barry »

curates_egg wrote:I assumed it was McNamara. But would Sexton not be in the conversation?
Heard an interview with Sexton on the radio yesterday, sounds like professional coaching is not on his radar.

Wants his weekends back.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

User avatar
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner
Posts: 23928
Joined: January 24th, 2006, 3:32 pm
Location: None of your damn business
Contact:

Re: New contracts for coaching ticket

Post by Dave Cahill »

I don't think Sexton has ever shown any inclination towards coaching - I don't think he's even done any of the courses
I have Bumbleflex
User avatar
LeRouxIsPHat
Cian Healy
Posts: 14546
Joined: January 22nd, 2009, 7:49 pm

Re: New contracts for coaching ticket

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Dave Cahill wrote: May 19th, 2022, 11:09 am I don't think Sexton has ever shown any inclination towards coaching - I don't think he's even done any of the courses
I've heard him say he's not interested a few times but then have heard from people who know him that he's so utterly obsessed with the game and dedicated to it that there's absolutely no way he won't be a coach. I'd say it might be like POC, dip his toe in a bit and he'll either get the bug or he won't.

As much as I'd love Isa to come back I don't think he's doing any coaching these days and I'm not sure he's done any since his hiatus with us. Might be wrong about that though.
User avatar
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin
Posts: 3685
Joined: April 27th, 2009, 11:23 am
Location: Dun Laoghaire

Re: New contracts for coaching ticket

Post by CiaranIrl »

I'm very sceptical about Sean O'Brien as a coach to be honest. Especially at academy level. I've heard too many stories over the years about unhinged moments. There was one that stands out about a training session where the academy lads were up against the starting team, and an academy second row stole a throw in a lineout that was meant for O'Brien (a rarity). He absolutely went for the lad and punched him around the place.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
mildlyinterested
Rob Kearney
Posts: 8291
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: New contracts for coaching ticket

Post by mildlyinterested »

CiaranIrl wrote: May 19th, 2022, 11:36 am I'm very sceptical about Sean O'Brien as a coach to be honest. Especially at academy level. I've heard too many stories over the years about unhinged moments. There was one that stands out about a training session where the academy lads were up against the starting team, and an academy second row stole a throw in a lineout that was meant for O'Brien (a rarity). He absolutely went for the lad and punched him around the place.
he has been coaching for a few years over in London, so surely he has learned to control himself when he isn't playing.

despite all these unhinged moments, he was a highly valued player while at leinster for his attitude/leadership etc.
wixfjord
Rob Kearney
Posts: 8434
Joined: April 13th, 2009, 1:00 pm

Re: New contracts for coaching ticket

Post by wixfjord »

CiaranIrl wrote: May 19th, 2022, 11:36 am I'm very sceptical about Sean O'Brien as a coach to be honest. Especially at academy level. I've heard too many stories over the years about unhinged moments. There was one that stands out about a training session where the academy lads were up against the starting team, and an academy second row stole a throw in a lineout that was meant for O'Brien (a rarity). He absolutely went for the lad and punched him around the place.
Do you remember some of the mad things Leo & Felipe did on a rugby pitch? (Or indeed Denis Leamy, Jerry Flannery, POC, Rowntree etc etc).

I think there's logic to wondering about SOB's experience, but his work ethic and leadership skills are top class. Very good communicator too.
User avatar
curates_egg
Rhys Ruddock
Posts: 2907
Joined: November 29th, 2011, 3:50 pm
Location: Brussels, Belgium

Re: New contracts for coaching ticket

Post by curates_egg »

mildlyinterested wrote: May 19th, 2022, 11:02 am
curates_egg wrote: May 19th, 2022, 11:00 am I assumed it was McNamara. But would Sexton not be in the conversation?
He is still playing.
But he will be a free agent after the world cup - in practice.

I know he has said he doesn't want to coach. But, as Le Roux says, he is obsessed and also clearly incredibly knowledgeable on attack and defence.
Post Reply