Glasgow Warriors v Leinster Friday 7.35 Premier/TG4

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Glasgow Warriors v Leinster Friday 7.35 Premier/TG4

Post by ronk »

Bad handling hasn't been a massive feature of his game.

A load of errors in a short space could be down to a minor hand injury, bedding in new techniques or just a dose of the yips. Usually it's temporary.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Players often lose a bit of coordination after putting on bulk, he’ll be grand in a few weeks
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

Ruckedtobits wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 9:02 am If you are a Leinster supporters or just a fan of good rugby, give yourself a treat and find a recording of this, with or without commentary.

For starters, Glasgow are a decent team and will win many matches in this league and, possibly, make the top four. Leinster's performance was skillful and up-tempo. They have talent across every position and their execution of passing, supporting, footwork, off-loading, tackling and clearing-out at pace was a joy to behold. Even without the ball they attack and on numerous occasions their defensive pace and ferocity drove Warriors backwards until they inevitably knocked on or kicked the ball back to us.

Every Leinster player contributed and no doubt every poster will be emphasising what their own favorite contributed but, be assured, every comment is valid because this was a great team performance.

I've been fortunate enough to see a bit of Top 14 this season, including last week's Lyon v Toulouse game. Nobody in Europe is playing better than Leinster last night. Toulouse, Harlequins, Bordeaux and Saints are all playing 15-man attacking rugby at present but none of them, as yet, have reached the same non-stop tempo as Leinster in both attack and defence.

Well done Leo and all the Squad and Coaches. A great way to sign-off this opening sector of the Season.
To those looking for a rewatch: https://ok.ru/video/3040234900057
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

I thought it was a really excellent performance from us, and another example of how the league has changed. I didn't realise quite how big the effect of not playing league games during international windows would have on selections outside those windows.

With the exceptions of the injured James Ryan, Robbie Henshaw, Jonny Sexton and the rested Andrew Porter, that was as strong a matchday 23 as we could field ... so really only one player rotated out for rest.

I felt our two wingers put in really professional performances which showed that high concentration levels and excellent knowledge of their responsibilities. Not necessarily what I think of first when I think of James Lowe and AB+, but AB+ in particular looked very composed and polished and was essentially flawless. Keenan was our best back in attack and again, essentially a flawless performance from him.

Can't say enough about Dan Leavy, just a natural rugby player. And then Josh was outstanding when he came on too! The 6-2 split can work really well for us because we have exceptional depth in the backrow and a quality 10/12/15/goalkicker in Frawley.

Obviously we're very strong at hooker as well, another outstanding 1-2 combination from Kelleher and Sheehan. I thought the contrast in the second row between Molony and Baird was telling. Molony is far steadier and mistake-free than Baird, who is more explosive but a lot more raw.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

ronk wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 3:48 pm Bad handling hasn't been a massive feature of his game.

A load of errors in a short space could be down to a minor hand injury, bedding in new techniques or just a dose of the yips. Usually it's temporary.
A notable feature of the Dragons play was the number of attempted and successful rips which led to a number of knock ons by Leinster players.
Dragons aren't the only team doing this but if teams are playing a "looser" game opportunities to rip will increase.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

hugonaut wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 5:59 pm I thought it was a really excellent performance from us, and another example of how the league has changed. I didn't realise quite how big the effect of not playing league games during international windows would have on selections outside those windows.

With the exceptions of the injured James Ryan, Robbie Henshaw, Jonny Sexton and the rested Andrew Porter, that was as strong a matchday 23 as we could field ... so really only one player rotated out for rest.

I felt our two wingers put in really professional performances which showed that high concentration levels and excellent knowledge of their responsibilities. Not necessarily what I think of first when I think of James Lowe and AB+, but AB+ in particular looked very composed and polished and was essentially flawless. Keenan was our best back in attack and again, essentially a flawless performance from him.

Can't say enough about Dan Leavy, just a natural rugby player. And then Josh was outstanding when he came on too! The 6-2 split can work really well for us because we have exceptional depth in the backrow and a quality 10/12/15/goalkicker in Frawley.

Obviously we're very strong at hooker as well, another outstanding 1-2 combination from Kelleher and Sheehan. I thought the contrast in the second row between Molony and Baird was telling. Molony is far steadier and mistake-free than Baird, who is more explosive but a lot more raw.
The unusual preseason was also significant. Normally Leinster do a dirt trackers start and then integrate the internationals shortly before the HC.

This season it was immediate rotation with a focus on the internationals. Normally they wouldn't have been available at that stage of the season. Yesterday was the first day since the opener when our game really clicked.

It's at least 10 years we're been doing it that way so this was brand new for coaches, players and fans.

It suited Faz to have the internationals play, so they played. Even resting Porter makes sense given the need to give Healy loosehead minutes and vdF has played enough that a sub appearance keeps him warm. We might see more/different rotation at different stages of the season or in later seasons.

I liked the balance of the 6-2 split. But it's only possible when you can leave a halfback out. Frawley gives you that, but so does the fact that Ross Byrne is an 80 minute guy. Frawley is progressing really well. His international callup is I think a recognition of what he offers and the switch he's made. He's now a very important player in the long-term for Leinster and he's the clear 12 who's younger and deeper than Henshaw. If Aki fades the Ireland depth chart was looking bad. Frawley changes a lot, especially if he can be 3rd choice outhalf for the RWC (depends mostly on the durability of those selected at outhalf). That and he offers a different game-plan.
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

FLIP wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 9:19 am
backrower8 wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 9:04 am Ruddock, Molony and Luke are all good at Club level.
Ruddock who has either a very high or perfect win rate as Ireland captain is only good at club level? In any timeline where Ireland weren't as cursed with POM being selected regardless of form Ruddock would be Ireland captain with Sexton VC.

Leavy is a very good lead by example player but hasn't even captained Leinster, and hasn't shown the ability to manage the game in terms of strategic choices. He'd need to prove that first.
# 7 should never be captain end of… they are masters of the dark arts by nature and untrusted by Referees, in the same measure that #9’s are disliked by them :!:
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

alanair wrote: October 24th, 2021, 12:14 am
backrower8 wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 9:04 am Ruddock, Molony and Luke are all good at Club level.
Ruddock who has either a very high or perfect win rate as Ireland captain is only good at club level? In any timeline where Ireland weren't as cursed with POM being selected regardless of form Ruddock would be Ireland captain with Sexton VC.

Leavy is a very good lead by example player but hasn't even captained Leinster, and hasn't shown the ability to manage the game in terms of strategic choices. He'd need to prove that first.
# 7 should never be captain end of… they are masters of the dark arts by nature and untrusted by Referees, in the same measure that #9’s are disliked by them :!:
Eh Richie McCaw did alright, but then the All Brand never do anything wrong, ever.
Anyone But New Zealand
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

FLIP wrote: October 24th, 2021, 12:17 am
alanair wrote: October 24th, 2021, 12:14 am

Eh Richie McCaw did alright, but then the All Brand never do anything wrong, ever.
Mmm..you can only name one that did though … and yes granted he was the biggest cheat ever in world rugby and referees seemed disinclined to sanction him.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

alanair wrote: October 24th, 2021, 12:26 amMmm..you can only name one that did though … and yes granted he was the biggest cheat ever in world rugby and referees seemed disinclined to sanction him.
Warburton.

Refs are probably less likely to yellow card the captain, so I would argue it's a good idea to make captain the player who has to play on the edge.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

leinsterforever wrote: October 24th, 2021, 2:50 am
alanair wrote: October 24th, 2021, 12:26 amMmm..you can only name one that did though … and yes granted he was the biggest cheat ever in world rugby and referees seemed disinclined to sanction him.
Warburton.

Refs are probably less likely to yellow card the captain, so I would argue it's a good idea to make captain the player who has to play on the edge.
Hooper.
Kolisi.
Dusautoir.

Not all of them wore No7, but they are/were all opensides and captains.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

You can certainly include two gentlemen from an earlier era:

Fergus Slattery & Jean Pierre Rives.

Both were out and out No 7's who lived offside but, as Captains, both could always enter discussions with the Ref.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Alanair's "never make a 7 captain" hypothesis is looking shaky at this stage.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

blockhead wrote: October 24th, 2021, 11:10 am Alanair's "never make a 7 captain" hypothesis is looking shaky at this stage.
You make an hypothesis and then you have it analysed and torn to shreds.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

blockhead wrote: October 24th, 2021, 11:10 am Alanair's "never make a 7 captain" hypothesis is looking shaky at this stage.
Nice turn of phrase though
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

I stand by my hypothesis ... (as a former ref ) ... I would have # 7 & 9 written in pencil against YC , before taking the field :D :D
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Ruckedtobits wrote: October 24th, 2021, 10:35 am You can certainly include two gentlemen from an earlier era:

Fergus Slattery & Jean Pierre Rives.

Both were out and out No 7's who lived offside but, as Captains, both could always enter discussions with the Ref.
Met Jean Pierre Rives in '80 by chance, when he was captain of the French team. The George Hook coached Old B U19 team I played for had just beaten Bayonne that afternoon and a small group of us were on the lash in a bar in Biarritz, sipping beers at an outside table on the promenade. The then-sexiest man in world rugby happens to be strolling past, his blond mane being blown lightly by the Atlantic breeze, notices us making a racket, clicks that we're traveling rugby minnows, sits down beside us, asks us where we're from as well as the details of our mini-tour and then proceeds to regale us with stories of his Test visits to Dublin. He even bought us a round (we got him a drink in return). After about forty minutes he takes his leave, wishes us the best of luck for our remaining matches and heads off. To say we were totally blown away would be an understatement. What an ambassador for French rugby! I'll never forget it.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Who do you think is the "sexiest man in world rugby" now?
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

blockhead wrote: October 24th, 2021, 2:02 pm Who do you think is the "sexiest man in world rugby" now?
I reckon Romain Ntamack would probably be the rugby dude, who currently gets the female fans' pulses racing the fastest.
bronxbull
Knowledgeable

Post by bronxbull »

Watching that back.
The first Glasgow penalty, Kelleher is tackling and Furlong is trying to rip the ball,Ref says tackler release.
The Glasgow player is still standing up at this time, 2 boys release him clearly and he falls to the ground with no Leinster player touching him.
Leavy alone gets over ball and he blows for not releasing player....
Leavy didn't tackle him! Baffling stuff.