Glasgow Warriors v Leinster Friday 7.35 Premier/TG4

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Re: Glasgow Warriors v Leinster Friday 7.35 Premier/TG4

Post by the spoofer »

D4surfer wrote: October 21st, 2021, 12:52 pm Bookies have it Glasgow 9/2, Leinster 1/5 and the handicap is 15 points.
We look like we are going to put them into the meat grinder but that's a decent Glasgow pack.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

was hoping for a bit more rotation..

significant lack of game time for some players so far.. and others have quite a lot.. JOB for Keenan, Osborne or COB or TOB for Ringrose, Penny for JVDF..
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

curates_egg wrote: October 21st, 2021, 12:30 pm Is the selection of Ruddock and VDF on the bench a precaution because of the injury-prone players in the team or purely tactical?
I'd imagine it's the latter, specifically for Leavy, as it was the same in his last game and his first couple of games last season.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Going to be a great battle between the second rows. Despite his performance against Dragons, I think Ryan Baird has really come on this season so far - putting in the hard work to add to the more extravagant parts of his game. Molony has been one of our best players over the last 12 months and has lifted his game even further this campaign. Looking forward to it
I have Bumbleflex
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Dave Cahill wrote: October 21st, 2021, 1:31 pm Going to be a great battle between the second rows. Despite his performance against Dragons, I think Ryan Baird has really come on this season so far - putting in the hard work to add to the more extravagant parts of his game. Molony has been one of our best players over the last 12 months and has lifted his game even further this campaign. Looking forward to it

Ditto! Any chance of Blues Talk returning, Daithí? For all you know, there could be people out there missing the incisive wit and in-depth analysis yourself, John and Jason have served up in previous seasons.....
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

riocard911 wrote: October 21st, 2021, 1:36 pm
Dave Cahill wrote: October 21st, 2021, 1:31 pm Going to be a great battle between the second rows. Despite his performance against Dragons, I think Ryan Baird has really come on this season so far - putting in the hard work to add to the more extravagant parts of his game. Molony has been one of our best players over the last 12 months and has lifted his game even further this campaign. Looking forward to it

Ditto! Any chance of Blues Talk returning, Daithí? For all you know, there could be people out there missing the incisive wit and in-depth analysis yourself, John and Jason have served up in previous seasons.....
+1

It was like Top Gear for Leinster fans. Guess which one is Clarkson? :lol:
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Match Preview

Leinster play their final match before a five week break away to old foes Glasgow.

Under the new competition structures there will be no games played during the Autumn internationals although there are games scheduled for the rest weekends during the Six Nations. It's given Leinster head coach Leo Cullen something of a headache.

Read more...
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

This is probably the area in the team which concerns me most, given the opposition. I think Toner should have started instead of either and use the lighter, more explosive and more effective player to close out the last 25 / 30 minutes with real impact.

I have concerns about Molony and Baird in both our scrum and maul contests against the Warriors second-row.

James Lowe could do with a strong defensive performance and our mid-field will need to respond alertly to their 'rush defence' . With Carolan as their attack Coach, expect a number of training field moves from set pieces.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Ruckedtobits wrote: October 21st, 2021, 2:27 pm
This is probably the area in the team which concerns me most, given the opposition. I think Toner should have started instead of either and use the lighter, more explosive and more effective player to close out the last 25 / 30 minutes with real impact.

I have concerns about Molony and Baird in both our scrum and maul contests against the Warriors second-row.

James Lowe could do with a strong defensive performance and our mid-field will need to respond alertly to their 'rush defence' . With Carolan as their attack Coach, expect a number of training field moves from set pieces.
It's not often that I'd disagree with you but in the case of RM I must. His mauling has been top notch for 12+ months as is the rest of his game. He has considerable bulk and if I were choosing an Irish panel, he'd be in it ahead of Dillane.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

the spoofer wrote: October 21st, 2021, 3:35 pm

It's not often that I'd disagree with you but in the case of RM I must. His mauling has been top notch for 12+ months as is the rest of his game. He has considerable bulk and if I were choosing an Irish panel, he'd be in it ahead of Dillane.
Mine too!
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

He looked the biggest(in terms of bulk) player on the pitch last weekend. On this subject, Sheahan looks more like backrow than a frontrow.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

I’ve always tended to use Glasgow as a yardstick for Molony. He seems to play against them often and it’s generally against a Gray. Johnny Gray is his era, but was always a bit taller, a bit heavier, a bit faster. He was fairly precocious athletically and a bit of a superstar from a young age. But...I always felt Molony was a bit shrewder and was able to perform very well against him. I rate Gray myself, so took that as a reasonable sign of Molony’s potential as a future second row for when the day would come when he filled out that bit more. Well, he’s 27 now and those days are here. He’s entering a stage of his career 28-35 where I’m personally very interested to see what player emerges. There are so many athletic freaks about these days, I think it’s a credit to the lad himself and to the way Leinster have handled him to see the trajectory of his career. The floor now is an exceptional interprovincial player and squad leader. I want to see just what his ceiling is.

Glasgow have a strong second row in Richie Gray and Harley, so I’m really looking forward to this contest. Glasgow should have beaten Ulster in Ravenhill and I think it was the Sharks they played off the park, but the scores have dried up a bit since then and do think Leinster will put them away.
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

paddyor wrote: October 21st, 2021, 5:27 pm

He looked the biggest(in terms of bulk) player on the pitch last weekend. On this subject, Sheahan looks more like backrow than a frontrow.
Sheehan originally was. No8 switched to the hooker position. Beast of a man
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Theleinsterlad wrote: October 21st, 2021, 10:27 pm
paddyor wrote: October 21st, 2021, 5:27 pm

Sheehan originally was. No8 switched to the hooker position. Beast of a man
Must have been very young as he was a fixture at hooker in school for clongowes.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Forecast is for dry, grey day in Glasgow which should suit us. Highest temp will be c. 10C.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

mildlyinterested wrote: October 21st, 2021, 1:03 pm was hoping for a bit more rotation..

significant lack of game time for some players so far.. and others have quite a lot.. JOB for Keenan, Osborne or COB or TOB for Ringrose, Penny for JVDF..
Think rotation was set by the needs of the international team to keep players fresh.

Selections have generally followed the international pecking order aside from resting a few who don't need a run out and giving vdF a day off the bench.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

How long will it take for the Glasgow fans to start booing?
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

No players wearing tights for the artificial surface
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Bloody hell Kelleher
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

Some try, Leavy brilliant.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English