Rainbow Cup Rd 1: Saturday, 24 April: Leinster v Munster – KO 7.35pm, RDS Arena

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

elephantman
Knowledgeable

Re: Rainbow Cup Rd 1: Saturday, 24 April: Leinster v Munster – KO 7.35pm, RDS Arena

Post by elephantman »

cormac wrote: April 19th, 2021, 3:49 pm
elephantman wrote: April 19th, 2021, 3:28 pm Delighted Tommy O’Brien is fully fit again.

He sustained that ankle injury against Ospreys on November 8 so he’s been out for 5 months.

He was one of our best players before he got injured. Looks a terrific player and can do a job on the wing if required.
He suffered a hamstring injury in training some time in February just as he was coming back from that ankle injury.

https://m.facebook.com/leinsterrugby/ph ... &source=57
I’d forgotten about that hamstring injury. Tommy has been extremely unlucky with injuries this season.

Very good player. Gonna be a very important player for us.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Re: Rainbow Cup Rd 1: Saturday, 24 April: Leinster v Munster – KO 7.35pm, RDS Arena

Post by mildlyinterested »

Hope to see Sheehan, Penny, HB, Frawley and TOB on saturday.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Based on that injury news today, I'd like to see something like:

Byrne, Tracy, Porter, Ryan, Baird, Murphy, Penny, Doris, JGP, HB, DK, Frawley, Ringer, TOB, Larmour
Sheahen, Dooley, Bent, Molony, Connors, Luke, RB, ROL

Not sure JGP will make it, if not I assume we'll have to start Luke, but would give HOS 30 mins at least.

That team would be devoid of any cohesion, but the result here matters little imo.

Of course Leo/Stu could just as easily go full bore with the likes of Doris, Ryan, Ringer starting.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

mildlyinterested wrote: April 19th, 2021, 3:55 pm
elephantman wrote: April 19th, 2021, 3:28 pm Delighted Tommy O’Brien is fully fit again.

He sustained that ankle injury against Ospreys on November 8 so he’s been out for 5 months.

He was one of our best players before he got injured. Looks a terrific player and can do a job on the wing if required.
think Tommy has a huge future on the wing for Leinster if he can stay injury free
I hope so, the kid has a fantastic attitude.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

wixfjord wrote: April 19th, 2021, 8:46 pm Based on that injury news today, I'd like to see something like:

Byrne, Tracy, Porter, Ryan, Baird, Murphy, Penny, Doris, JGP, HB, DK, Frawley, Ringer, TOB, Larmour

Not sure JGP will make it, if not I assume we'll have to start Luke, but would give HOS 30 mins at least.

That team would be devoid of any cohesion, but the result here matters little imo.

Of course Leo/Stu could just as easily go full bore with the likes of Doris, Ryan, Ringer starting.
That looks very funny
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Lock9541
Graduate

Post by Lock9541 »

Byrne
Sheehan
Porter
Molony
Baird
Murphy
Penny
Doris
HOS
Harry
Lowe
ROL
Ringrose
Kearney
Larmour
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

wixfjord wrote: April 19th, 2021, 8:46 pm Based on that injury news today, I'd like to see something like:

If we went with this team would the outcry of disrespecting the fixture (or indeed the competition) not be deafening? It wouldn't be the first time :shock:

For this reason alone I think we'll go with a near enough full team.

I'd imagine Munster will go full on as they have no reason not to. Can't see them taking the opportunity to blood some younger guys.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

I can't imagine Leo et al would be too worried about disrespecting a fixture they are playing for the 5th time in ten months, in a mickey mouse competition (where it's likelihood of finishing is still up in the air), when they have a Heineken Cup SF the following week.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

LeinsterLeader wrote: April 20th, 2021, 11:24 am

If we went with this team would the outcry of disrespecting the fixture (or indeed the competition) not be deafening? It wouldn't be the first time :shock:

I'd imagine Munster will go full on as they have no reason not to. Can't see them taking the opportunity to blood some younger guys.
Ah feck that!
If our coaches were going to choose a side for this game based on a potential media outcry of not selecting a full 23 then they wouldn't be in those positions!

We should be picking here based on a mix of getting guys up to speed, winning the game and preparing/protecting for next week.

If it's decided that a full side will do that best then that'll be done. But how people outside the group might react shouldn't and won't be a factor.

This is a pretty meaningless warmup game. We shouldn't be drawn into a scrap because Munster have nothing else to fight for and an axe to grind.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Lock9541 wrote: April 20th, 2021, 11:05 am Byrne
Sheehan
Porter
Molony
Baird
Murphy
Penny
Doris
HOS
Harry
Lowe
ROL
Ringrose
Kearney
Larmour
Ryan has to start, as does Tracy imo (if it's not Kelleher). Sheehan won't be benching in the SF so need to get JT gametime imo.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

wixfjord wrote: April 20th, 2021, 11:44 am
LeinsterLeader wrote: April 20th, 2021, 11:24 am

Ah feck that!
If our coaches were going to choose a side for this game based on a potential media outcry of not selecting a full 23 then they wouldn't be in those positions!

We should be picking here based on a mix of getting guys up to speed, winning the game and preparing/protecting for next week.

If it's decided that a full side will do that best then that'll be done. But how people outside the group might react shouldn't and won't be a factor.

This is a pretty meaningless warmup game. We shouldn't be drawn into a scrap because Munster have nothing else to fight for and an axe to grind.
I couldn't agree more. I just have a feeling. And look what your saying about their position is true to a degree, but I think if the IRFU were to give Leinster a nudge for either the sake of the competition (less likely now the SA's aren't coming) or for the sake of the "Rivalry" brand, then Leinster might bend!

Purely guess work by me and probably b*%&!x though :D
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

I think we’ll go pretty strong for this. We have a couple of players coming back that need game time, and we haven’t played a whole lot of rugby in general over the last month. We’ve good cover almost everywhere and can risk the unlikely event of an injury. I’d only be worried if Ross Byrne, Henshaw or Luke McGrath went down in that game.

van Graan has talked about wholesale rotation for this competition, but there’s no way he’s going with anything other than the strongest possible team. He desperately needs the win here. The narrative of being close to Leinster crumbles with each successive loss, losing seven on the trot is inconceivable irregardless of the competition and would put his personal win rate at 1/12, which is surely the worst of any Munster coach in history.

I think there’ll be bite here.
Lock9541
Graduate

Post by Lock9541 »

I’d say rest Luke McGrath for this game and give HOS a chance starting with Cormac Foley on the bench.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Priorities for the coaching staff will be 1. maintaining momentum - by winning -, 2. avoiding injuries, particularly in crucial positions, and 3. giving those players, who need it in preparation for a possible appearance vs LAR, game time. A difficult balancing act, but I have every confidence in Leo et al to make the right choices.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4OfHNW ... terRugbyTV

sounds like there will be a good bit of rotation for this.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

When asked yesterday in the presser re the availability of Ringer, JR, Dorris, Connors and JGP, Leo replied, that of those five named players "some will be playing at the weekend" (or words to that effect).
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

dont expect to see JGP or Connors.

maybe the other three.
Lock9541
Graduate

Post by Lock9541 »

mildlyinterested wrote: April 20th, 2021, 3:23 pm dont expect to see JGP or Connors.

maybe the other three.
HOS will be starting with Cormac Foley on the bench
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Lock9541 wrote: April 20th, 2021, 4:22 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: April 20th, 2021, 3:23 pm dont expect to see JGP or Connors.

maybe the other three.
HOS will be starting with Cormac Foley on the bench
should be ehhhhh.... interesting to watch if true... :shock:
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

maybe the other three.
Ringrose & Ryan would be huge for the semi.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ