European Cup Final 2020

Forum to enable fans to provide help and tips on travel arrangements to away matches, as well as for opposition fans travelling to the Irish capital for matches.

Moderator: moderators

Mackeroo
Beginner

European Cup Final 2020

Post by Mackeroo »

I was talking to a very high up member of EPCR at the semi final, and I asked him when the host city for the 2020 final would be announced. He said there was a board meeting coming up in June, that it had been narrowed down to 3 candidates (apologies I'd had a few drinks and can't remember 2 of them), but he said the final is looking likely to be in Marseille.

I've searched online and there were 18 applications originally, but I can't see it reported anywhere about it having been narrowed down to 3.
nc6000
Mullet

Re: European Cup Final 2020

Post by nc6000 »

Footrush is going to love this. :shock:
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

Only time I ever felt unsafe around a rugby match was after the Marseille SF. Think it was locals looking for trouble rather than Toulon fans but not pleasant.
A proud Winsome Fluter
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

nc6000 wrote:Footrush is going to love this. :shock:
Bad atmosphere at that ground , the security were a gang of heavies expecting soccer thugs and there we quite a few ill disciplined local teenagers looking for any excuse to be disruptive !. Probably one of my least favourite grounds to attend !.
Flying wedge
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

footrush wrote:
nc6000 wrote:Footrush is going to love this. :shock:
Bad atmosphere at that ground , the security were a gang of heavies expecting soccer thugs and there we quite a few ill disciplined local teenagers looking for any excuse to be disruptive !. Probably one of my least favourite grounds to attend !.
agree - combination of the locals, the result and a very bad hangover made it a ground I want to forget....
Scooby Shaggy Swerve
Learner

Post by Scooby Shaggy Swerve »

I had a better experience there last year for the Top14 demifinal weekend, matches on Friday and Saturday, great atmosphere, not threat, no trouble, lots of sunshine.

I think the authorities and locals are getting to realise that rugby is not soccer and have learnt to manage differently

Had a ball drinking pre and post match around the old harbour

Infinitely improved experience from the time with Leinster v Toulon in 2015
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

Grumpy Old Man wrote: May 2nd, 2018, 6:07 pm Only time I ever felt unsafe around a rugby match was after the Marseille SF. Think it was locals looking for trouble rather than Toulon fans but not pleasant.
Hope it’s different this time but don’t have many happy memories of the last visit to Marseille and not just the result ….
Flying wedge