Getting to Gatwick need advice/help

Forum to enable fans to provide help and tips on travel arrangements to away matches, as well as for opposition fans travelling to the Irish capital for matches.

Moderator: moderators

footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

Only found out about the OLSC bus after the Qunis game yesterday (totally my fault, been busy work etc), unfortunately its now full, posting this for 2 reasons (1) if any one is in the same boat and needs a bus to make the 21hrs aerlingus flight can you please get in touch with the OLSC as there is not enough demand for another bus at the moment. (2) Anyone any advice as to the best way to get to Gatwick from the Stoop (other than taxi) also what are my chances of getting to Gatwick for 9 in the evening if the game starts at 3 without having to leave the game early if at all possible?.
Flying wedge
dave13
Bookworm

Re: Getting to Gatwick need advice/help

Post by dave13 »

Train and bus from Twickenham station will get you there for 19.40. Use thetrainline.com

Departing Arriving Travel By Train Company Duration
18:11 Twickenham 18:24 Barnes Station Train South West Trains 00h 13
18:30 Barnes Station 18:59 Clapham Junction Bus South West Trains 00h 29
19:12 Clapham Junction 19:38 Gatwick Airport Train Southern 00h 26
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

dave13 wrote:Train and bus from Twickenham station will get you there for 19.40. Use thetrainline.com

Departing Arriving Travel By Train Company Duration
18:11 Twickenham 18:24 Barnes Station Train South West Trains 00h 13
18:30 Barnes Station 18:59 Clapham Junction Bus South West Trains 00h 29
19:12 Clapham Junction 19:38 Gatwick Airport Train Southern 00h 26
Cheers Dave appreciate that thanks.
Flying wedge
mikerob
Mullet

Post by mikerob »

Unfortunately there are engineering works on that weekend so there is a bus replacement service between Barnes and Clapham Junction rather than being able to get the train directly from Twickenham to Clapham Junction.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Getting from the Stoop to Gatwick in 4 hours was never going to be an issue with the rail system in London. I only booked the bus so I wouldn't have to think about it. In fact I was considering staying on for a few pints and taking a chance on it. Perhaps the bus will not rush straight off after the game?
Sionnach
Bookworm

Post by Sionnach »

An Uber cab from Clapham Junction to Twickenham is estimated to cost around £15-20. I can give you a referral code which will give you a tenner off the journey, so it might be as little as a fiver. All the way from Gatwick is more likely to be £50-55.

http://www.uber.com/invite/oqnlj

NB. Uber also give me a few quid if you sign up on that link, just to be transparent. If you're not happy with that, look around and you'll find discount codes for the same amount elsewhere.
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

There are direct trains from Twickenham to Clapham Junction for onward connections to Gatwick (17:30 and 18:00 ex Twickenham). Link to revised South West Trains Timetable for the 7th December, which takes into account the Barnes Blockade:-

http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/upload ... stontw.pdf

Unfortunately thetrainline.com has a blind spot with regard to South West London Railway Geography. The Kingston loop has been around for 150 years!
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

Thanks everyone really appreciate all the advice and encouragment as ever. :clap:
Flying wedge
Leoslovechild
Mullet

Post by Leoslovechild »

Hornet wrote:There are direct trains from Twickenham to Clapham Junction for onward connections to Gatwick (17:30 and 18:00 ex Twickenham). Link to revised South West Trains Timetable for the 7th December, which takes into account the Barnes Blockade:-

Unfortunately thetrainline.com has a blind spot with regard to South West London Railway Geography. The Kingston loop has been around for 150 years!
If I have already booked my return tickets from Twickenham to Hampshire via Clapham junction will we now depart train aty Barnes and bus to Clapham J and back onto train there to Southampton?
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

Leoslovechild wrote:
Hornet wrote:There are direct trains from Twickenham to Clapham Junction for onward connections to Gatwick (17:30 and 18:00 ex Twickenham). Link to revised South West Trains Timetable for the 7th December, which takes into account the Barnes Blockade:-

If I have already booked my return tickets from Twickenham to Hampshire via Clapham junction will we now depart train aty Barnes and bus to Clapham J and back onto train there to Southampton?
No. You have two options. You can catch the 17:30 or 18:00 Twickenham to Clapham Junction Train (via Kingston and Wimbledon, takes 28 minutes). Sunday 7th Service Details as shown below (Taken from South West Trains emergency timetable regarding the Barnes Blockade Engineering Works):-

Twickenham Dep 17:30 18:00
Clapham Junction Arr 17:58 18:28
Clapham Junction Dep 18:03 18:42
Southampton Arr 19:34 20:00

Alternatively the following journey can be made:-

Twickenham Dep 17:19
Feltham Arr 17:25
Feltham Dep 17:40
Woking Arr 18:18
Woking Dep 18:34
Southampton Arr 19:34

For Gatwick Airport the following journeys can be made.

Twickenham Dep 17:30 18:00
Clapham Junction Arr 17:58 18:28
Clapham Junction Dep 18:08 18:40
Gatwick Airport Arr 18:45 19:10
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

Seems like there may be a possibility of a second bus if the demand is there, so if anyone still needs this service please contact the OLSC as soon as possible. (Second bus has been sorted :happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper: ) Thanks everyone involved.
Flying wedge