Getting to Toulon ?.

Forum to enable fans to provide help and tips on travel arrangements to away matches, as well as for opposition fans travelling to the Irish capital for matches.

Moderator: moderators

awaaf
Bookworm

Re: Getting to Toulon ?.

Post by awaaf »

Flying into Nice Sat am and out late Monday evening. Any advice on whether to do both nights in Toulon or spend first in Nice. Are the trains plentiful (especially Sunday morning)? Any good suggestions re: hotels very welcome also. Cheers.
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

awaaf wrote:Flying into Nice Sat am and out late Monday evening. Any advice on whether to do both nights in Toulon or spend first in Nice. Are the trains plentiful (especially Sunday morning)? Any good suggestions re: hotels very welcome also. Cheers.
At this stage you won't get a hotel in Toulon on the Saturday night. The SCNF website has the train times.
Leoslovechild
Mullet

Post by Leoslovechild »

sheepshagger wrote:
awaaf wrote:Flying into Nice Sat am and out late Monday evening. Any advice on whether to do both nights in Toulon or spend first in Nice. Are the trains plentiful (especially Sunday morning)? Any good suggestions re: hotels very welcome also. Cheers.
At this stage you won't get a hotel in Toulon on the Saturday night. The SCNF website has the train times.
Is it advisable/cheaper to book the train in Advance or can you just roll up on the day?
awaaf
Bookworm

Post by awaaf »

Booked train to Toulon from Nice back and forth on the Sunday. As SS says above no hotels showing up in Toulon for Sat night although Airbnb have lots of stuff on offer. I have never used it (went close last night) but have heard good reports.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

awaaf wrote:Booked train to Toulon from Nice back and forth on the Sunday. As SS says above no hotels showing up in Toulon for Sat night although Airbnb have lots of stuff on offer. I have never used it (went close last night) but have heard good reports.
I've used Airbnb before in New York and San Fransisco - no problems and cheaper than a hotel - highly recommended.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

Relying on trains to get to Toulin - have people boked tickets in advance? Just wondering if the toulon boys can say if we need to get tickets in advance?
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
Toulon fan
Bookworm

Post by Toulon fan »

tones wrote:Relying on trains to get to Toulin - have people boked tickets in advance? Just wondering if the toulon boys can say if we need to get tickets in advance?
Maybe you don't really need to book it in advance, but you can especially for those returning on monday as there should be the usual workers on trains.
Plus you'll just have to jump on the train and won't have to deal with legendary french SNCF customer service or some possessed booking machine.
I don't think it's the big rush even on monday anyway. Not Paris underground at all.
I'm french. Please correct my english mistakes !
Muriel
Seán Cronin

Post by Muriel »

This has probably been asked before but how do I get from Nice airport to Nice train station? How long does it take? Is booking a train an hour after my flight has landed pushing it a bit?
When I pulled my hamstring, I went to a misogynist. - Brittany (Glee)
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Muriel wrote:This has probably been asked before but how do I get from Nice airport to Nice train station? How long does it take? Is booking a train an hour after my flight has landed pushing it a bit?
Possibly....

From the info on the link below, I think the bus is the cheapest option but don't think it leaves you at the train station. From what they said about taxis (very little of it complimentary) I wouldn't be relying on them either. Perhaps just buy your train ticket on the day in case you miss that particular train?

http://www.niceairport.org/getting-to-n ... -buses.htm
Muriel
Seán Cronin

Post by Muriel »

Yeah, I read that and wasn't impressed so figured I see if anyone else had ideas...
When I pulled my hamstring, I went to a misogynist. - Brittany (Glee)
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

20 mins on bus 98 or 99 that comes every 20 mins. 6 juros. It's about 7.5 K
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Donny B. wrote:but don't think it leaves you at the train station.
Sorry did not see this bit. Both buses go within a kM of the station. I think 99 goes within a half K

Would have to check. I was looking at getting to the pub to watch Munster when I checked.

An hour is tight I would guess. Prepare to have to write off the train fare or pay for a taxi.
Leoslovechild
Mullet

Post by Leoslovechild »

johng wrote:
Donny B. wrote:but don't think it leaves you at the train station.
Sorry did not see this bit. Both buses go within a kM of the station. I think 99 goes within a half K

Would have to check. I was looking at getting to the pub to watch Munster when I checked.

An hour is tight I would guess. Prepare to have to write off the train fare or pay for a taxi.
99 from either airport terminal which takes you right across the road from the main train stattion [Nice ville aka Gare Thiers] - 6 euros/person

or bus 23, only from terminal 1, which takes you to Thiers/gambetta stop, about 5 mins walk away- 1euro50/person
waterboy
Graduate

Post by waterboy »

also there's a train station about a 10 min walk from the airport, St Austin or something like that which will get you to the main station in Nice, Its about a 10 min train journey.
Toulon fan
Bookworm

Post by Toulon fan »

waterboy wrote:also there's a train station about a 10 min walk from the airport, St Austin or something like that which will get you to the main station in Nice, Its about a 10 min train journey.
Or... You straight book a ticket St-Augustin station - Toulon... :D
I'm french. Please correct my english mistakes !
-rct-
Beginner

Post by -rct- »

To book a train one hour after your arrival in nice is in my opinion too optimistic.

It is not necessary to book the train in advance.

See you in one week
glenageary
Mullet

Post by glenageary »

book the train online , I have
Leoslovechild
Mullet

Post by Leoslovechild »

glenageary wrote:book the train online , I have
Take out the comma and it could be Yoda talking!
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

Leoslovechild wrote:
glenageary wrote:book the train online , I have
Take out the comma and it could be Yoda talking!
:)
Flying wedge
vienne86
Beginner

Post by vienne86 »

Can't wait for this weekend. We're off early in the morning, so looking at packing now. Looks like next weekend will be nice and warm - should be a great occasion. C'MON LEINSTER!