Exeter away

Forum to enable fans to provide help and tips on travel arrangements to away matches, as well as for opposition fans travelling to the Irish capital for matches.

Moderator: moderators

Donny B.
Devin Toner

Re: Exeter away

Post by Donny B. »

Wild Tooth wrote:
Donny B wrote: Cheers I have spies on the ground landing tomorrow (weather permitting) who are going to do a proper reccie on Sky Sports in the city centre.

Kinda remarkable that no one has it. Surely it would be a considerable competitive advantage to get it in?
A bit like you can't get it in the Laughin out I believe ?
Well Sky were looking for a pub license fee for something we'd only use twice a year.

English clubs get a reduced rate on Sky as part of a deal the RFU did with them.

But for a pub that's open every day and can show all the football, cricket as well, surely it would pay for itself, especially in a place where most other pubs don't have it.
Wild Tooth
Beginner

Post by Wild Tooth »

Sorry, I just don't think you will find it here, other than those venues already mentioned.

Have a safe journey, enjoy your lunch in town, and then head to the gound, and watch Sky Sports with your friends from Exeter Chiefs !
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Wild Tooth wrote:Sorry, I just don't think you will find it here, other than those venues already mentioned.

Have a safe journey, enjoy your lunch in town, and then head to the gound, and watch Sky Sports with your friends from Exeter Chiefs !
Thanks WT, we'll be in the ground early regardless. One last question though (I promise).

The Mount Radford is the one place that definitely has it, even though it's 15 minutes out of town. If we go there, would we pick up a taxi handy enough to take us to the ground afterwards? Or are taxis hard to get on match days in Exeter?
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

Report from the front.

Old Firehouse - student bar, loud, good beer. No sky sports.

Oddfellows - quieter, good beer, great bar. Good food offering. No sky sports
A proud Winsome Fluter
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:Report from the front.

Old Firehouse - student bar, loud, good beer. No sky sports.

Oddfellows - quieter, good beer, great bar. Good food offering. No sky sports
Cheers Grumps, sounds like enough to keep most people happy post WigWam.
finchamdl
Learner

Post by finchamdl »

just heard that BRISTOL AIRPORT IS CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE :cry:
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

finchamdl wrote:just heard that BRISTOL AIRPORT IS CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE :cry:
Yeah saw that both the Aer Lingus and Ryanair flights were "delayed" alright.

I wonder if the team were flying there or were going straight to Exeter with Flybe.

Good luck to anyone travelling today, could be a very long day.
finchamdl
Learner

Post by finchamdl »

Donny B. wrote:
finchamdl wrote:just heard that BRISTOL AIRPORT IS CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE :cry:

I wonder if the team were flying there or were going straight to Exeter with Flybe.

Yes well I'm supposed to travelling down from london tomorrow morning but looking at the trains at the moment it doesn't look likely I'll be able to get there. Just means that the people who can get there have to sing extra loud!
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

finchamdl wrote:
Donny B. wrote:

Yes well I'm supposed to travelling down from london tomorrow morning but looking at the trains at the moment it doesn't look likely I'll be able to get there. Just means that the people who can get there have to sing extra loud!
Like most people I'm going out tomorrow morning, not too hopeful even at this stage
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

Donny B. wrote:

Team flying to Exeter @ 15:00 ex Dublin with Cityjet.
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
finchamdl
Learner

Post by finchamdl »

Hornet wrote:
Donny B. wrote:

Team flying to Exeter @ 15:00 ex Dublin with Cityjet.
Well I suppose thats one bit of good news
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

finchamdl wrote:
Donny B. wrote:

No problems with First Great Western ex Paddington. South West Trains have Timetable Amendments ex Waterloo. Check National Rail website for further updates. I am flying to Heathrow later today, then Train ex Reading tomorrow morning. Do not envisage too many problems. Heathrow is operating normally at present.
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
finchamdl
Learner

Post by finchamdl »

Good luck to anyone travelling today, could be a very long day.[/quote]

Yes well I'm supposed to travelling down from london tomorrow morning but looking at the trains at the moment it doesn't look likely I'll be able to get there. Just means that the people who can get there have to sing extra loud![/quote]
No problems with First Great Western ex Paddington. South West Trains have Timetable Amendments ex Waterloo. Check National Rail website for further updates. I am flying to Heathrow later today, then Train ex Reading tomorrow morning. Do not envisage too many problems. Heathrow is operating normally at present.[/quote]

Well thats some good news but most of the snow London is going to fall this afternoon so I dont know whether the situation will be the same when I try to get down tomorrow. :cry:
Leinster Exile
Mullet

Post by Leinster Exile »

Aerlingus 0640 flight to Bristol cancelled . Airport still closed
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Hornet wrote: Team flying to Exeter @ 15:00 ex Dublin with Cityjet.
Good stuff. Hopefully we'll get a game at least. Grumpy better be in good form cause he may well be the only Leinster fan who makes it there at this stage... :(
Wild Tooth
Beginner

Post by Wild Tooth »

Live from Exeter.

Light wet snow here in Exeter itself. Road links in and out of the County affected by heavier snowfalls. E xeter Airport currently open with flights arriving and departing.

Local weather is expecting the snow falls to reduce during the morning and into early afternoon. No snow forcast for tomorrow.

As I mentioned yesterday the bigger problem at present today is with Bristol Airport however that should be OK for tomorrow.

Good luck and safe travels !
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Hope you're right WT!
Wild Tooth
Beginner

Post by Wild Tooth »

Donny B. wrote:
Wild Tooth wrote:Sorry, I just don't think you will find it here, other than those venues already mentioned.

Thanks WT, we'll be in the ground early regardless. One last question though (I promise).

The Mount Radford is the one place that definitely has it, even though it's 15 minutes out of town. If we go there, would we pick up a taxi handy enough to take us to the ground afterwards? Or are taxis hard to get on match days in Exeter?
Yes I think you will easily get a taxi from the Mount Radford, Magdalen Road, if you book in advance, either get the pub to book it or try Capital Taxis 01392 433 433 ( no, I don't work for them, just use them !) about 15 / 20 minutes direct into Sandy Park £ 15 - £20 for 4. Arrange your return with your driver, but they are not allowed to pick up in Sandy Park until 1 hour after the match finishes.

Weather update, still just wet snow here in Exeter.

WT
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

The Well House Tavern, beside the cathedral, has Sky Sports and I'm probably watching the Quins game there tonight before heading back to Oddfellows (5 minute walk). As WT says, wet and sleety here this morning.
A proud Winsome Fluter
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Wild Tooth wrote:
Yes I think you will easily get a taxi from the Mount Radford, Magdalen Road, if you book in advance, either get the pub to book it or try Capital Taxis 01392 433 433 ( no, I don't work for them, just use them !) about 15 / 20 minutes direct into Sandy Park £ 15 - £20 for 4. Arrange your return with your driver, but they are not allowed to pick up in Sandy Park until 1 hour after the match finishes.

Weather update, still just wet snow here in Exeter.

WT
Thanks again WT. Although the Well Tavern sounds like the spot.