Any thoughts on the quickest route from Holyhead to Twickers

Forum to enable fans to provide help and tips on travel arrangements to away matches, as well as for opposition fans travelling to the Irish capital for matches.

Moderator: moderators

Ches

Any thoughts on the quickest route from Holyhead to Twickers

Post by Ches »

4 of us are driving from Holyhead to the game on Saturday morning. We are staying beside Heathrow airport and plan to leave the car there and get a cab to the ground. I've heard the route the AA recommend through Wales is terrible and you are better off heading east toward Liverpool and down the M6/M40. Anyone any experience or ideas ?
Barry
Enlightened

Re: Any thoughts on the quickest route from Holyhead to Twic

Post by Barry »

don't go through Wales - feels like a 3 hour drive around the Sally Gap.
Leezer
Enlightened

Post by Leezer »

get a flight from liverpool
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” - Frank Sinatra

Stalk me on ye olde Tweet Machine!!!!!!!
jordanracer
Knowledgeable

Post by jordanracer »

Drive across North wales towards Chester and join up with the M6 much faster than going across the mountains.
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

Ches wrote:4 of us are driving from Holyhead to the game on Saturday morning. We are staying beside Heathrow airport and plan to leave the car there and get a cab to the ground. I've heard the route the AA recommend through Wales is terrible and you are better off heading east toward Liverpool and down the M6/M40. Anyone any experience or ideas ?
http://forum.leinsterfans.com/viewtopic ... 1&start=20
Some ideas on this thread.
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

Ches wrote:4 of us are driving from Holyhead to the game on Saturday morning. We are staying beside Heathrow airport and plan to leave the car there and get a cab to the ground. I've heard the route the AA recommend through Wales is terrible and you are better off heading east toward Liverpool and down the M6/M40. Anyone any experience or ideas ?
We're planning on going this way:

Driving in on the M40 instead of the M1…better road, less traffic. When going around Birmingham take the road to Solihull instead of M6. M40 means less travel on the M25 when we get to London as well.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
ellandleinster
Enlightened

Post by ellandleinster »

deco wrote:

Driving in on the M40 instead of the M1…better road, less traffic. When going around Birmingham take the road to Solihull instead of M6. M40 means less travel on the M25 when we get to London as well.
Would agree with this.

But I think the question relates to the first part of the journey. I do the drive quite regularly and on balance I would go the A4 through Wales. Its a bit of a lottery though as to which is best. Its all traffic dependant though so keep an ear open for traffic reports.

What time are you setting off at? I hope its very early.
berniemac67
Mullet

Post by berniemac67 »

ellandleinster wrote:
deco wrote:

Would agree with this.

But I think the question relates to the first part of the journey. I do the drive quite regularly and on balance I would go the A4 through Wales. Its a bit of a lottery though as to which is best. Its all traffic dependant though so keep an ear open for traffic reports.

What time are you setting off at? I hope its very early.
the A4 can be very frustrating if you have a deadline. lower speed limit and large stretches where overtaking can be tricky

i'd take the M56 (i think) east and stay on motorways all the way if you want a hassle free journey in about the same time. having said that i did once sit on the motorway near keele services for guts of 2 hours while they cleared cows that had got out of a field and into the road :o

i fully recommend the M42/M40 route around brum and toward london. depending where you are going you can avoid the M25 altogether by taking the A404 toward high wycombe and hopping on the M4 from there if you need reading or points west.
Declan Kidney is a incompetent, inept, provincially biased rugby dinosaur who is unfit to coach the Irish team.

(c) 2012 Dave Cahill
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

A55 from holyhead to Chester, M56 to M6, M6 down to Brum (the M6 toll is always worth it in my opinion) and then the M42 around Brum, onto the M40 to London, then the M25 to Twickers.

You're looking at around 4 hours.
berniemac67
Mullet

Post by berniemac67 »

Degz wrote:A55 from holyhead to Chester, M56 to M6, M6 down to Brum (the M6 toll is always worth it in my opinion) and then the M42 around Brum, onto the M40 to London, then the M25 to Twickers.

You're looking at around 4 hours.
4 hours?? from holyhead?? to twickenham??

good luck with that
Declan Kidney is a incompetent, inept, provincially biased rugby dinosaur who is unfit to coach the Irish team.

(c) 2012 Dave Cahill
ellandleinster
Enlightened

Post by ellandleinster »

without a doubt. there is no way in hell you will make it in 4 hours.

the other thread gives 6 hours as a journey time and even that is a tad optimistic based on my most recent trips. More like 7 and can be worse. I won't scare you by saying how long it took me Easter Monday after the qf.

So with the game kicking off at 5, if it was me I would want to be leaving Holyhead around 8 and defo no later than 9, which I don't think is possible if you are travelling from Dublin that day.
berniemac67
Mullet

Post by berniemac67 »

i made it from holyhead to just outside reading in less than 6 hours on the tuesday after easter

this was via the A4 through wales and included a 30+ minute food break with kids

i'd say that under 6 is doable via the M6 so long as you don't have any major delays

but you need to keep breaks to an absolute minimum ... no sightseeing and toilet breaks optional :lol:

(c) 2012 Dave Cahill
ellandleinster
Enlightened

Post by ellandleinster »

berniemac67 wrote:i made it from holyhead to just outside reading in less than 6 hours on the tuesday after easter

this was via the A4 through wales and included a 30+ minute food break with kids

i'd say that under 6 is doable via the M6 so long as you don't have any major delays

but you need to keep breaks to an absolute minimum ... no sightseeing and toilet breaks optional :lol:
aha so you agree A4 is best. :wink:

changing subject but just looking at your avatar, and Drico's shoulder is actually bigger than his head!!! How weird must that be and imagine the problems it poses.
berniemac67
Mullet

Post by berniemac67 »

ellandleinster wrote:
berniemac67 wrote:i made it from holyhead to just outside reading in less than 6 hours on the tuesday after easter

aha so you agree A4 is best. :wink:

changing subject but just looking at your avatar, and Drico's shoulder is actually bigger than his head!!! How weird must that be and imagine the problems it poses.
i prefer the A4 as it is a little more relaxing and pleasant to drive on

if i were driving against the clock there is no way i'd go that route

lets hope his abnormally large shoulder causes some probems for cave and his pals on saturday :)

(c) 2012 Dave Cahill
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

wtf? I do Liverpool to centre of London in 3 and a quarter, leaving at ten at night admittedly.

I do Liverpool to Holyhead in an hour and a quarter. Thats four and a half hours before the overlap.

You people must drive like grannies.
ellandleinster
Enlightened

Post by ellandleinster »

Degz wrote:wtf? I do Liverpool to centre of London in 3 and a quarter, leaving at ten at night admittedly.

I do Liverpool to Holyhead in an hour and a quarter. Thats four and a half hours before the overlap.

You people must drive like grannies.
sexist ageist pig :wink:

On my last trip I ripped along at 70mph all the way till the bridge in Anlgesea and then barely (using the motorway route not a4) got over 20 till I left the m40 at Beaconsfield. It was an absolute mare :evil:

BTW I believe there are jubilee celebrations in Windsor tomorrow and heavy traffic is forecast so will affect m4/a4 if anyone is using them.
Ches

Post by Ches »

we have 6 hours and I think we can do it in just under 5 if the traffic is ok. Going to head for liverpool and down the M6 takingthe M6 toll around birmingham. I spoke to a couple guys from London yesterday and they said its the best option. Fingers crossed.
Ches

Post by Ches »

Made it in loads of time. We went the A55 and M6/M1/M25. 4 hours 20 mins with a quick break to change drivers. Had traffic coming into London with road works too.
berniemac67
Mullet

Post by berniemac67 »

Ches wrote:Made it in loads of time. We went the A55 and M6/M1/M25. 4 hours 20 mins with a quick break to change drivers. Had traffic coming into London with road works too.
good work. what speed were you doing? :o

(c) 2012 Dave Cahill
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

Hope those who used the A4 got to Twickenham and didn't end up in the Memorial Stadium, Brizzle! I came back up the A5 last night from West London in 4hrs 15mins. (Great ride through North Wales in ideal conditions).
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".