The Boxing Thread

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

blockhead
Rob Kearney

The Boxing Thread

Post by blockhead »

Marvelous Marvin Hagler dies at just 66.
One of the all time greats he fought in probably the greatest era of boxing. Along with Sugar Ray Leonard, Thomas "Hitman" Hearns and Roberto Duran. Four of the all-time greatest fighters.
RIP Marvin.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Re: The Boxing Thread

Post by Peg Leg »

blockhead wrote: March 14th, 2021, 11:10 am Marvelous Marvin Hagler dies at just 66.
One of the all time greats he fought in probably the greatest era of boxing. Along with Sugar Ray Leonard, Thomas "Hitman" Hearns and Roberto Duran. Four of the all-time greatest fighters.
RIP Marvin.
My dad stopped watching boxing when Tyson came on the scene, he only ever spoke about Marvelous Marv, Brown Bomber and Ali. I watched a heap of clips in the early days of YouTube, you could spend hours back then when it was like a library being filled with footage from the past. To me Hagler was tops (or certainly had the best highlight reels). Roy Jones jnr was a tribute act to Hagler.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

rip the marvellous one, he was a superb fighter, hard as nails with under rated skills

His fights with hearns and mugabi were all out wars, one of the all time great middleweights will be sadly missed
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

JB1973 wrote: March 16th, 2021, 3:23 pm rip the marvellous one, he was a superb fighter, hard as nails with under rated skills

His fights with hearns and mugabi were all out wars, one of the all time great middleweights will be sadly missed
I don’t box myself, but any of my mates that did rated Hagler as the best
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

I boxed and I was fairly useless I'm sorry to say :)

hagler is the best mniddle I've seen in my lifetime , sugar ray robinson and carlos monzon are generally the guys who are mentioned

The footage of both especially robinson isn't great so I wouldn't like to pick a winner all three must have been great fighters
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

JB1973 wrote: March 16th, 2021, 5:19 pm I boxed and I was fairly useless I'm sorry to say :)

hagler is the best mniddle I've seen in my lifetime , sugar ray robinson and carlos monzon are generally the guys who are mentioned

The footage of both especially robinson isn't great so I wouldn't like to pick a winner all three must have been great fighters
Where do you stand on the Hagler v Leonard fight?

Lots of people think Sugar Ray Leonard is the finest boxer of all time.
Hearns was my favourite though, just because he was always the underdog in these epic showdowns, except when he demolished Duran with bomb after bomb.
A golden era of a once great sport.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

I thought leonard edged it, hagler did very little in the first half of the fights and leonard was an expert at pinching rounds with later flurrys, he was a really canny fighter and like hagler an all time great.

I get that hagler was the champ and he should get the nod in tight rounds but I just don't think he was "busy enough" in the fight to get the decision

I read that he was overly keen to get leonard into the ring and made too many allowances (larger ring, 12 not 15 rounds etc and that proably all took the fight away from him , how did you score it?

Leonard refused to give him a rematch and he carried a lot of ill feeling to him for a few years afterwards

Hearns and holyfield are my two fave fighters ever and his face first ko of duran is one of the most brutal displays of punching ever, check out his body shots to ko james shuler (makes me wince just watching it!)

I still watch the big fights but I'm not as keen on the sport as I once was, too many fights on pay per view, too many great match up's not getting made, too much trash talking and wwe style behaviour not to mention the looming shadow of organised crime and it's hand in things
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

I watched the Michael conlon fight from the weekend last night , he got a majority verdict in a very close fight

He is now apparently the number 1 contender for the wbo title, I have to say I wasn't that impresses by him and I don't see him beating that fulton guy even if the bout is held in Belfast and there is a live crowd there

He lacks power and gets hit too often, he will get caught out if he moves up in class
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Even Hugh Cahill (no relation) couldn't ruin that!
I have Bumbleflex
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

That has got to be the best victory by any Irish amateur boxer ever. Never have I seen a more competitive, physically punishing, contest in amateur boxing. Both Kelli Harrington and her Brazilian opponent looked like they could knock-out their opponent and both frequently tried. Hooks, uppercuts and boom-boom combinations were superb and thrown with full body-weight and impeccable timing. What a contest and what a victory.
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

That Conlan vs Wood fight was a classic, good to see there have been no long term ill effects

Hopefully we see a rematch