Liverpool Thread

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Liverpool Thread

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I can only apologise for United winning yesterday. We were rubbish and didn't deserve to win in the slightest, it just papers over the cracks for us.

Thought Liverpool were good in the first half. You desperately missed Sturridge though.

I've been very critical of Toure and Sakho but both were very good, Sakho in particular was excellent.

I really don't see any progress being made by United. Hopefully Shaw will make a big difference next season but there isn't one unit in the team that I'm happy with going forward...and considering we spent all that money...
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Post by nelly the elephant »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I can only apologise for United winning yesterday. We were rubbish and didn't deserve to win in the slightest, it just papers over the cracks for us.

Thought Liverpool were good in the first half. You desperately missed Sturridge though.

I've been very critical of Toure and Sakho but both were very good, Sakho in particular was excellent.

I really don't see any progress being made by United. Hopefully Shaw will make a big difference next season but there isn't one unit in the team that I'm happy with going forward...and considering we spent all that money...
Still sick over it..... it beggars belief that Van Gaal is Played 4 won 4 against us.... :cry:
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I can only apologise for United winning yesterday. We were rubbish and didn't deserve to win in the slightest, it just papers over the cracks for us.

Incredibly generous of you.
I felt we were well on top in the first half but we didn't have the goalscorer to turn the chances in to goals.
Second half I felt that United had changed it at HT and were better. At around the 70 minute mark I felt we were going to lose for the first time as I didn't see us scoring and thought ye'd get a chance from one of our usual "mistake" and take it.

There's no point in talking about missing Sturridge. Any game he plays will have to be considered a bonus and it looks like Klopp has lost patience with him. Unfortunately we are stuck with him as what club would take a chance on him? Maybe one of the big two in Spain but can't see too many coming in for him that would pay him more than he is on for the next 4 years.

Sakho was very good yesterday. That's probably his best game in a Liverpool shirt.

You may not be happy with the way things are going but United have proved that they will spend money so there is the possibility of top class players coming in.
You have to be happy with the keeper surely?
Shaw did look excellent before injury alright. It looked a really nasty injury so hopefully he makes a good recovery.

Who do you think will be your next manager? Seems like LVG is a dead man walking as the media seem to have decided they don't like him now.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

nelly the elephant wrote:Still sick over it..... it beggars belief that Van Gaal is Played 4 won 4 against us.... :cry:
It says a lot about where we are at the moment. The worst Manchester United team for 30 odd years and they've done the double over us two seasons running.

Another stat I saw (and I've no idea if its true or not) was that they have had 4 shots on target against us this season resulting in 4 goals. :shock:
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Thought we were pretty good at OT in fairness but that was very much a blip in terms of having a decent attack!

Yeah I'm happy with De Gea alright, wouldn't swap him for anyone, but I was taking the defence as a unit. If, and it's a big if, Shaw comes back fine then there's still a big question mark over who plays with Smalling and who's at right back. I had really high hopes of Darmian at the start of the season but he has gone backwards at a rate of knots. His crossing was always poor at the start anyway but everything about his defence was top notch and he was really tough and aggressive, exactly what we needed. I'd have expected it to be the opposite way around and that he was starting to come good now, the fact that he isn't doesn't bode well. That's just one example but there are question marks all over the field.

I honestly have no idea who'll take over, Klopp is the man I wanted though. LVG has been awful IMO. Getting rid of Rafael and Welbeck still grates. They were flawed but they had pace and were able to stretch teams, something we were crying out for and something he's tried to buy in...why? Why not just keep them in the first place, even just as back up?

The most obvious example of his cluelessness is how he set up the attack at the start of the season. He spent all that money on Memphis and then played him in the number ten role in the first game of the season...he's useless there...and we haven't seen him there since, what kind of planning is that? Especially when we needed his pace on the wing. Then it got worse when he replaced him with Adnan for a couple of games, before sending him out on loan. By any standards that is just piss poor planning. All that time and money to plan for who he wanted behind the striker, and he hadnt a clue. Not good enough, and similar examples exist elsewhere.
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:He spent all that money on Memphis and then played him in the number ten role in the first game of the season...he's useless there...and we haven't seen him there since, what kind of planning is that? Especially when we needed his pace on the wing.
Hasn't "The Pie" piled on the weight since he signed though? I read somewhere that he has put on 6kg. Could be complete bollix but if true its the type of thing that would suggest the problem is Depay and not LVG.

Not defending LVG by the way... I agree he's been a terrible manager for ye and can understand why the fans are not happy.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I don't know about recently but no the problem then was definitely LVG buying a player he had no idea what to do with.

Memphis played on the wing in the champions league a few days later and was electric and scored a couple of crackers. To scout a player extensively and spend so much money on him, and then not know that he doesn't suit a position just boggles my mind. I could even understand if he did it as a project and thought that that's where he should be playing, but we haven't seem him there since! Dreadful.

He's looked sluggish recently though alright.
Leoslovechild
Mullet

Post by Leoslovechild »

Great home win last night
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

Calamitous game today but great result in the end, 3 -1 down to 4-3 up to 4 All & finished 5-4 great drama but defending was non existent
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Some ManUtd fans singing songs about Hillsborough last night and some Liverpool fans will probably sing that song about Munich in the return leg. Hard to fathom the mentality of these people.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Post by nelly the elephant »

Crazy, stunning result from Anfield tonight...... what were the odds at halftime of a Liverpool comeback?
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

Un-focking-believable.
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

Un real thought we could do it when we scored the 1st in the 2nd half but when they scored the 3rd I thought it was all over and no way back. Koop has us all believing!!
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

Bringing youngest son to Anfield this weekend. Any suggestions?
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

offshorerules wrote:Bringing youngest son to Anfield this weekend. Any suggestions?
If you are over the day before or day after, the stadium tour, museum and Boot-room Cafe are worth a visit.
The club shop gets very busy on match days so if you are doing the tour I'd leave the shop til then too as it'll be a lot less stressful.
Transport to and from the ground is not good. I usually get a taxi or bus out from town and hang around for a while to let the crowd disperse a bit but that's not really an option when you've got a kid with you.
My little lad is 6 now so might look in to bringing him next season if he's interested.
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

It took 27 years but finally JFT96 has been achieved.
Fair play to all involved who never gave up despite insurmountable odds.
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

Avenger wrote:
offshorerules wrote:Bringing youngest son to Anfield this weekend. Any suggestions?
If you are over the day before or day after, the stadium tour, museum and Boot-room Cafe are worth a visit.
The club shop gets very busy on match days so if you are doing the tour I'd leave the shop til then too as it'll be a lot less stressful.
Transport to and from the ground is not good. I usually get a taxi or bus out from town and hang around for a while to let the crowd disperse a bit but that's not really an option when you've got a kid with you.
My little lad is 6 now so might look in to bringing him next season if he's interested.
Thanks, did the tour and got taxi organised for after the match so we were sorted. The atmosphere for YNWA pre-match was unbelieveable. I'll die a happy man now. Got to go back though.
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

Avenger wrote:It took 27 years but finally JFT96 has been achieved.
Fair play to all involved who never gave up despite insurmountable odds.
And still no copies of the Sun anywhere to be seen.
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

The story of the season so far that was.
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

Starting to get excited now...