John Delaney - President of the Olympic Council of Ireland?

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

I've long thought that Pat Hickey should hand over the baton to some new blood, but never envisaged John Delaney as a candidate. We're better off with him ruining the FAI than meddling with the OCI.

It may not have been as clear cut as he would have preferred, but Pat Hickey was duly appointed to the executive committee of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) this morning. Hickey received 57 votes in his favour, with 34 opposed to the Dubliner’s appointment.

Hickey was elected at a secret ballot of the IOC’s session in London’s Grosvenor House Hotel. Having been given a seat at the top table of the IOC - the executive board consists of the president Jaques Rogge, four vice-presidents and 10 other members - Hickey may now consider his position as president of the Olympic Council of Ireland (OCI).

Should he choose to vacate his position in the OCI, FAI chief executive John Delaney is among the favourites to replace him. Delaney is currently the second vice-president of the OCI.

Hickey had a shot at the top table before but it didn’t end the way he wanted. But in the intervening years he has inched further up the IOC ladder and is now president of the European Olympic Committees, an umbrella organisation within the IOC of all the European nations. He wears many hats in the movement but another is as a member of the commission for the co-ordination of the next Olympic Games in Rio.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/other/ ... 39953.html
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Re: John Delaney - President of the Olympic Council of Irela

Post by hugonaut »

deco wrote:I've long thought that Pat Hickey should hand over the baton to some new blood, but never envisaged John Delaney as a candidate. We're better off with him ruining the FAI than meddling with the OCI.

It may not have been as clear cut as he would have preferred, but Pat Hickey was duly appointed to the executive committee of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) this morning. Hickey received 57 votes in his favour, with 34 opposed to the Dubliner’s appointment.

Hickey was elected at a secret ballot of the IOC’s session in London’s Grosvenor House Hotel. Having been given a seat at the top table of the IOC - the executive board consists of the president Jaques Rogge, four vice-presidents and 10 other members - Hickey may now consider his position as president of the Olympic Council of Ireland (OCI).

Should he choose to vacate his position in the OCI, FAI chief executive John Delaney is among the favourites to replace him. Delaney is currently the second vice-president of the OCI.

Hickey had a shot at the top table before but it didn’t end the way he wanted. But in the intervening years he has inched further up the IOC ladder and is now president of the European Olympic Committees, an umbrella organisation within the IOC of all the European nations. He wears many hats in the movement but another is as a member of the commission for the co-ordination of the next Olympic Games in Rio.

I read this in this morning's IT. Surely, surely there's a better candidate than Delaney.
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

Replacing one useless c**t with another.OCI should be so lucky to get rid of Hickey
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
Leinster Exile
Mullet

Post by Leinster Exile »

hugonaut wrote:
deco wrote:I've long thought that Pat Hickey should hand over the baton to some new blood, but never envisaged John Delaney as a candidate. We're better off with him ruining the FAI than meddling with the OCI.

I read this in this morning's IT. Surely, surely there's a better candidate than Delaney.
It's Ireland, there probably is however he's not the "good friends" with the right people
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

hugonaut wrote:

CEO positions such as this are shared amongst the chosen few, it seems that if you have been on the DAA, FAI or Charity Director circuit - you will be appointed to one position or the other.
No doubt Fran Rooney is in line for the next election!!
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

A joke.. its always the same small circle of the same clowns.
Dont Panic!
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Dexter wrote:A joke.. its always the same small circle of the same clowns.
I appreciate that there's a certain skillset that applies to most CEO positions [i.e. it's as much about control and delegation of a significant workforce as it is about your particular industry/line of work], but with all the negative PR Delaney has generated over the last couple of months, you'd imagine that any sane organization would steer well, well clear of him.
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

hugonaut wrote:
deco wrote:I read this in this morning's IT. Surely, surely there's a better candidate than Delaney.
The real question is whether there is a worse candidate. Delaney is an embarrassing gombeen who reached his current position through a mixture of nepotism, cronyism and just being in the right place at the right time. Positions such as this one require people with proven records of success in senior management roles within the private sector. Under Delaney's watch, most of the clubs in the national league are de facto insolvent, the association has had to shed a load of staff and the national soccer team still don't have their own f***ing stadium. This has all occurred in the context of an organisation which has precious few overheads in view of the fact that they don't have to pay their players. In fact, probably their single most substantial outgoing is his wholly unmerited salary.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

tackle-bag wrote:
hugonaut wrote:
deco wrote:I read this in this morning's IT. Surely, surely there's a better candidate than Delaney.
The real question is whether there is a worse candidate. Delaney is an embarrassing gombeen who reached his current position through a mixture of nepotism, cronyism and just being in the right place at the right time. Positions such as this one require people with proven records of success in senior management roles within the private sector. Under Delaney's watch, most of the clubs in the national league are de facto insolvent, the association has had to shed a load of staff and the national soccer team still don't have their own f***ing stadium. This has all occurred in the context of an organisation which has precious few overheads in view of the fact that they don't have to pay their players. In fact, probably their single most substantial outgoing is his wholly unmerited salary.
Agree with almost all of this except that I think you will find that the National Soccer Team does have its own stadium. LR is as much the FAI's as it is the IRFU's now, although I am unsure as to the precise financial arrangements. I accept LR will always be the spiritual home of rugby in Ireland whereas Soccer only started turning up there in the early 1970s.
Four Stars
totalrandomer
Graduate

Post by totalrandomer »

Lar wrote: Agree with almost all of this except that I think you will find that the National Soccer Team does have its own stadium. LR is as much the FAI's as it is the IRFU's now, although I am unsure as to the precise financial arrangements. I accept LR will always be the spiritual home of rugby in Ireland whereas Soccer only started turning up there in the early 1970s.
IRFU own it when the current deal finishes. Fai are tenants.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

totalrandomer wrote:
Lar wrote: Agree with almost all of this except that I think you will find that the National Soccer Team does have its own stadium. LR is as much the FAI's as it is the IRFU's now, although I am unsure as to the precise financial arrangements. I accept LR will always be the spiritual home of rugby in Ireland whereas Soccer only started turning up there in the early 1970s.
no they aren't. For the next 30 years or however long is remaining, they OWN 50% of the stadium. They get 50% of the revenue and pay 50% of the costs
I have Bumbleflex
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

hugonaut wrote:
Dexter wrote:A joke.. its always the same small circle of the same clowns.
I appreciate that there's a certain skillset that applies to most CEO positions [i.e. it's as much about control and delegation of a significant workforce as it is about your particular industry/line of work], but with all the negative PR Delaney has generated over the last couple of months, you'd imagine that any sane organization would steer well, well clear of him.
Agree with your comments about skillset (although I would have big doubts over Delany possessing them). I would also propose that another function of the CEO is to act as representative of the organisation when required. Another problem area for Delany, given the negative publicity and perception that you mention.
Dont Panic!
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

Dave Cahill wrote:
totalrandomer wrote:
no they aren't. For the next 30 years or however long is remaining, they OWN 50% of the stadium. They get 50% of the revenue and pay 50% of the costs
The important thing is that when the deal runs it course, the property will be owned by the IRFU alone. The FAI are
partners in a company that owns and runs the stadium structure. That company is effectively a long term tenant on the land they built their stadium upon.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
Mauler
Seán Cronin

Post by Mauler »

I heard Pat Hickey on the radio a few days ago and he mentioned that his role with the OCI was a voluntary position and he was unpaid. So if the Chief Used Car Salesman is in line to replace Hickey on the OCI he would have forfit his 360k salary with the Used Car Salesmen (down from 400k last yr). Delaney as recently as last weeks AGM of the UCS mentioned that he actually had to take a pay cut when first appointed CEO of the UCS (@ circa 440k).
Personally I think he is doing a bang up job and has single handly helped grow our sport in the country.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DzEi74rhbw
As the song goes ... 'He used to be a w@nker, but he's alright now'
'VJ Singh hits more balls than Elton John's chin' - David Feherty
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

deco wrote:
The important thing is that when the deal runs it course, the property will be owned by the IRFU alone. The FAI are
partners in a company that owns and runs the stadium structure. That company is effectively a long term tenant on the land they built their stadium upon.
Yes, in, say, 30 years time, the IRFU will have a 30-odd year old stadium, and the FAI will have had the benefit of it for 30 years, at no cost to themselves, and will walk away free and clear. I'm not sure that that is necessarily a bad thing.
I have Bumbleflex
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Mauler wrote:I heard Pat Hickey on the radio a few days ago and he mentioned that his role with the OCI was a voluntary position and he was unpaid. So
Interesting, but does anyone know if Delaney's position is also voluntary? Or is he earning two salaries?
janeymac08
Mullet

Post by janeymac08 »

Dave Cahill wrote:
deco wrote:
Yes, in, say, 30 years time, the IRFU will have a 30-odd year old stadium, and the FAI will have had the benefit of it for 30 years, at no cost to themselves, and will walk away free and clear. I'm not sure that that is necessarily a bad thing.
The joint venture has a 60-year lease on the stadium; on expiry the stadium will return to the exclusive ownership of the IRFU. In the meantime the IRFU get about €1m a year for leasing the land.
Ulster's Best
Bookworm

Post by Ulster's Best »

Maeve Kyle would be perfect, though she's probably a bit too long in the tooth now. But if it's just a figurehead position then maybe age shouldn't be too big a factor.
brotheroffrank
Knowledgeable

Post by brotheroffrank »

:lol:
Dave Cahill wrote:
totalrandomer wrote:

"Or however long is remaining....." :lol: