for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Re: The Olympics Thread

Post by mikey »

Cianostays wrote:Katie Taylor you absoloute hero :clap: :clap: :clap:

Well done and thank you for today :D

Totally - brilliant stuff - second gold medlaist for Irish Boxing after my cousin Michael Carruth in Barcelona. superb.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Pure class from Katie in her interview with Billo, totally respectful and gracious towards her opponent
I have Bumbleflex
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

mikey wrote: second gold medlaist for Irish Boxing after my cousin Michael Carruth in Barcelona. superb.
Ah well do I remember bunking off work to go to his (and Wayne McCs) homecoming on Dawson Street
I have Bumbleflex
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

Dave Cahill wrote:Pure class from Katie in her interview with Billo, totally respectful and gracious towards her opponent
Something that is particularly impressive given that the Russian sour-puss apparently continued her trend of spouting horsesh!t conspiracy theories about Taylor after the fight. I could understand once, twice, but three times... not a lady.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Post by mikey »

Dave Cahill wrote:
mikey wrote: second gold medlaist for Irish Boxing after my cousin Michael Carruth in Barcelona. superb.
Ah well do I remember bunking off work to go to his (and Wayne McCs) homecoming on Dawson Street

will you be bunking off to see her in Bray??!!

hope we get to see her make an appearance at a Leinster game!
ror
Graduate

Post by ror »

I find it very hard to get excited by ladies boxing. Fair play and all that but Bolt and Rudisha achievements yesterday dwarf Katies. There are also several femal Double gold medalists which barely got a line in the Irish papers. Great medal but lets not ruin it by talking about it for the next 20 years as if its our only gold medal. I would put it a long way behind Ronnie Delaneys..
Mickado
Knowledgeable

Post by Mickado »

ror wrote:I find it very hard to get excited by ladies boxing. Fair play and all that but Bolt and Rudisha achievements yesterday dwarf Katies. There are also several femal Double gold medalists which barely got a line in the Irish papers. Great medal but lets not ruin it by talking about it for the next 20 years as if its our only gold medal. I would put it a long way behind Ronnie Delaneys..

It only happened yesterday, and you're saying:

Let's not talk about it for the next 20 years
AND
I would put it a long way behind Ronnie Delaneys

In the same post. Can you not see the irony in that, given that Delaney won his medal 56 years ago?
Can I raise a practical question at this point? Are we gonna do "Stonehenge" tomorrow?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I would doubt it.
I have Bumbleflex
ror
Graduate

Post by ror »

Mickado wrote:
ror wrote:I find it very hard to get excited by ladies boxing. Fair play and all that but Bolt and Rudisha achievements yesterday dwarf Katies. There are also several femal Double gold medalists which barely got a line in the Irish papers. Great medal but lets not ruin it by talking about it for the next 20 years as if its our only gold medal. I would put it a long way behind Ronnie Delaneys..

It only happened yesterday, and you're saying:

Let's not talk about it for the next 20 years
AND
I would put it a long way behind Ronnie Delaneys

In the same post. Can you not see the irony in that, given that Delaney won his medal 56 years ago?
My ref to Delaney was to put into context the individual achievement. For me Delaneys was a far far higher one than Katies. Never the less fair play to her but I think we have gone over the top. Like Charlotte Dujardin won here second gold in horsey stuff yesterday and it has not taken over the UK air waves.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

mikey wrote:
Cianostays wrote:Katie Taylor you absoloute hero :clap: :clap: :clap:

Well done and thank you for today :D

Totally - brilliant stuff - second gold medlaist for Irish Boxing after my cousin Michael Carruth in Barcelona. superb.
Is he your cousin? He's from the same area as me, used to play football with his brother Fergal many moons ago.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Agree, let's forget about it and focus on something we're hopeless at...
Dont Panic!
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

This arrogant tosser Mick Dowling who keeps referring to himself as an "expert" on RTÉ, despite having no discernible boxing achievements (as far as I can see), has just embarrassed himself by being unable to explain what a "countback" means. Can someone on here do a better job? My understanding was that it was related to the number of punches thrown, in which case Barnes ought to have won by a landslide.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
Hacker G
Knowledgeable

Post by Hacker G »

ror wrote: Like Charlotte Dujardin won here second gold in horsey stuff yesterday and it has not taken over the UK air waves.
In fairness, that's one of 25 golds for GB in these Olympics alone - it's our first legitimate one in 20 years!
Also, dancing horses is just a bit silly... :D
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Points are scored if 3 of 5 judges push the appropriately coloured button within one second if they feel a punch has scored.

For a countback, the scores of all 5 judges are counted (44-45 in this case).

Edit - remember its not total punches thrown, its the total number of punches the judges feel were scoring punches.
I have Bumbleflex
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Hacker G wrote:
ror wrote: Like Charlotte Dujardin won here second gold in horsey stuff yesterday and it has not taken over the UK air waves.
In fairness, that's one of 25 golds for GB in these Olympics alone - it's our first legitimate one in 20 years!
Also, dancing horses is just a bit silly... :D
Good point, I was making it only yesterday when they kept on referring to '96 as our last gold. Technically true of course, but nobody really claims them. That explains the extraordinary outpouring of pride and joy. Plus, as someone was pointing out, there hasn't been an economist interviewed on the radio in a day. Which is full of win.
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

Dave Cahill wrote:Points are scored if 3 of 5 judges push the appropriately coloured button within one second if they feel a punch has scored.

Edit - remember its not total punches thrown, its the total number of punches the judges feel were scoring punches.
Thanks for that. Still astounded that Barnes lost, because you would assume that the fighter who throws 3 or 4 times as many punches would be adjudged to have recorded more scores across the 5 judges.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Lovely fight from John Joe Nevin, tactically it was precisely the right fight to beat the cuban. Minimised the effect of his left hook almost entirely
I have Bumbleflex
dod
Knowledgeable

Post by dod »

Dave Cahill wrote:Points are scored if 3 of 5 judges push the appropriately coloured button within one second if they feel a punch has scored.

That's what i came on to find out.. Dowling had me confused..
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

Dave Cahill wrote:Lovely fight from John Joe Nevin, tactically it was precisely the right fight to beat the cuban. Minimised the effect of his left hook almost entirely
Superb performance, and great to see an Irish competitor with such confidence in the ultra-pressurised environment of an Olympic semi-final.

Maybe it's the lawyer in me coming out, but I really think that if an appeal facility exists, it should be utilised. Barnes' result seems like a total shaft and the lads in the studio were agreed on that. In this case, the questionable decision has probably proven to be the difference between bronze and gold. Why wouldn't he just throw in an appeal and see what happens?
Last edited by tackle-bag on August 10th, 2012, 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I must admit that I thought that on countback that Zou had it, he was simply more precise, and threw more punches that could be considered to be scoring punches by one or more judges. Barnes certainly threw a lot more punches, but Zou had more precision - more punches were aimed at the scoring zones in my opinion. I felt that Barnes won the 2nd which the judges scored a draw, but once it went to the countback, that was it I thought.
I have Bumbleflex