Stanley cup

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

All the way back logue
Graduate

Stanley cup

Post by All the way back logue »

Anyone watching this (ESPN)? Vancouver took a 2-0 lead after 2 home games. Game 3 in Boston was tied until the following "attack" (best word for it) on a Bruins player http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXi7TM7moP4. Boston went on to win that game 8-1 and won game 4 by 4-0 to tie the series 2-2 (best of 7). Well worth a look in.
aisling7
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Stanley cup

Post by aisling7 »

Yep... watched the Canucks v Boston game on ESPN america the other night - hilarious is all I can say!!
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

Yea- I've sort of kind of discovered it.

I'm tempted to go watch some real life ice hockey in Glasgow but am afraid I'll like it too much and will have to choose between it and rugby!
Vamos los azules
Mullet

Post by Vamos los azules »

kermischocolate wrote:Yea- I've sort of kind of discovered it.

I'm tempted to go watch some real life ice hockey in Glasgow but am afraid I'll like it too much and will have to choose between it and rugby!
Ice hockey is great - I highly recommend going to a match. But yes, you do run the risk of liking it too much - I was completely addicted while living in Canada so the lack of an ice rink/hockey arena in Dublin is Leinster rugby's financial gain because I would definitely want to go to both otherwise. Very different viewing experiences though so you might find a nice balance between the two.
"You can’t defend like the boss one week and the cookie man the next".
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Would Ice Hockey ever go and f%~k off and stop taking up time that should be used for showing the Mets.

(actually, quite like it)
I have Bumbleflex
John23
Enlightened

Post by John23 »

Vamos los azules wrote:
kermischocolate wrote:Yea- I've sort of kind of discovered it.

Ice hockey is great - I highly recommend going to a match. But yes, you do run the risk of liking it too much - I was completely addicted while living in Canada so the lack of an ice rink/hockey arena in Dublin is Leinster rugby's financial gain because I would definitely want to go to both otherwise. Very different viewing experiences though so you might find a nice balance between the two.
+ 1. Went to a New York Rangers game in Madison Square Gardens last November. Great atmosphere, crowd get really involved. The speed at which these guys move around is really frightening.
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
All the way back logue
Graduate

Post by All the way back logue »

Boston won last night to set up a game 7 in vancouver on wednesday night. Vancouver 'goalie' Luongo having a nightmare in games in Boston but then plays brilliantly in Vancouver. Well set up for a cracking final game.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

It's a real home ice series but you gotta feel momentum is with the Bruins. I'm amazed how they have responded following last season's earth-shuddering collapse. If they win on Wednesday, ask any Bruin if they care about the 3-0 t0 3-4 loss to the Flyers. Tim Thomas will win the SC for the Bruins
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

I've never been a big Ice Hockey fan, but I'm a general supporter of sports teams from Boston. Phenomenal start from the Bruins in the first period last night, they really dominated the early exchanges.

On a more general note, I think Boston really does punch above its weight in terms of sports in the US. It's only the 22nd largest city by population, yet it is home to arguably the strongest franchise in each of the four major US sports:-

- The Red Sox look unstoppable at the moment, and have picked up two World Series in the last 7 years. If they keep playing the way they are, a third looks inevitable in October.
- The Celtics ran away with their division of the NBA this season, but sadly let their form drop in the conference semi-finals against the Heat. Nonetheless, they won the Championship just 3 years ago for a record 17th time and are in a strong position for the years ahead.
- The Patriots are undoubtedly the strongest NFL team of the past decade, having won 3 championships and made 8 playoff appearances in that period. In 2008, they were denied what would have been the second perfect season in modern history by a mere 3 points.
- The Bruins aren't the strongest franchise in NHL history, but few would be able to doubt their status in the modern game if they can complete this great comeback on Wednesday. In any event, they still lie fourth in all-time Stanley Cup appearances, and second of the teams based in the US (as opposed to Canada).

I suppose my question is how is it that a relatively small city can sustain such excellence in all four sports? There's no doubt but that people in Boston are sports-mad, and that there is wealth in the city to support the business side of things. However, the same could be said of Chicago, Houston, Philadelphia, San Diego and others. Each of those cities has had their successes, but none has enjoyed across the board success on the same level as Boston.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

tackle-bag wrote:- The Red Sox look unstoppable at the moment, and have picked up two World Series in the last 7 years. If they keep playing the way they are, a third looks inevitable in October.
I wouldn't bet on that. A lot of ball to be played before they start handing out rings.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

Avenger wrote:
tackle-bag wrote:- The Red Sox look unstoppable at the moment, and have picked up two World Series in the last 7 years. If they keep playing the way they are, a third looks inevitable in October.
I wouldn't bet on that. A lot of ball to be played before they start handing out rings.
agreed.

tackle-bag you forgot to factor in the sox's remarkable ability to choke in the play-offs. Hell, look what being pre-season favorites did to them in the opening 12 games
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

tate wrote:
Avenger wrote:
agreed.

tackle-bag you forgot to factor in the sox's remarkable ability to choke in the play-offs. Hell, look what being pre-season favorites did to them in the opening 12 games
Hence the first part of the sentence - "if they keep playing the way they are...". Of course the Red Sox won't win the world series if their form goes to cr@p, or if they choke in the playoffs. What I meant was that there is no has been no other team, in all of MLB, playing as well as them over the past few weeks.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

Now I've finally got into this whole playoff thing why does the deciding game have to be in the middle of the night in the middle of the week??

Haven't the NHL ever heard of the weekend?!
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

All over now....

Bruins end their long wait. Thrashed the Canucks again. Their form at home and in the decider was too good. Tim Thomas again was an inspired man.
waterboy
Graduate

Post by waterboy »

Looks like they took the defeat well!

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0616/vancouver.html
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

waterboy wrote:Looks like they took the defeat well!

Ah the traditional Ice Hockey riot!
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Quality photo of the couple making out on the street, seemingly in no man's land.

Boston Globe saying the victory is for all the hockey mom and dads in New England, who wake up at 6am every Sunday to driver their kids to the local ice rink in the freezing cold. Of course, the fact that the Bruins are almost entirely made up of Canadians hasn't dampened anything for the club. Hockey is peculiar - I have an American friend who is a staunch New Jersey Devils fan. She was supporting Canada over the US in the Olympic Final because most of her team are Canadian. Imagine if most of our boys played in the Aviva Prem and we supported Engerland in the RWC
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Donny B. wrote:
waterboy wrote:Looks like they took the defeat well!

Ah the traditional Ice Hockey riot!
Who knew Canadians could be so violent

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/bre ... ing25.html

I'd figure a riot in Boston win or loose but Candaians???
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

holy jesus

there must be an ulterior motive behind that rioting. I really find it difficult to believe anyone's reaction to losing a cup final would be destroying their own city.
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.