Cricket World Cup

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

dod
Knowledgeable

Re: Cricket World Cup

Post by dod »

Just watching the highlights on sky now..England dropping balls all over the place..Its better now that i can enjoy it rather than the nerves earlier..
dod
Knowledgeable

Post by dod »

How much will Kevin O'Brien be worth in the IPL when i starts again
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

dod wrote:Just watching the highlights on sky now..England dropping balls all over the place..

Word has it that Alan Gaffney took a few of their training sessions in the build-up to the match.
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
Leinster Exile
Mullet

Post by Leinster Exile »

Jesus we lost a wicket with the first ball!
claire_m
Shane Jennings

Post by claire_m »

Alan Lewis was doing some of the commentary. I had no idea he was a good cricketer.
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

claire_m wrote:Alan Lewis was doing some of the commentary. I had no idea he was a good cricketer.
Over 120 caps.
Get in the f%~king bag.
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

claire_m wrote:Alan Lewis was doing some of the commentary. I had no idea he was a good cricketer.
He was quite emotional at the end of the game. Even Boycott was full of praise for the way Ireland played.
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
West Brit
Mullet

Post by West Brit »

Hornet wrote:
He was quite emotional at the end of the game. Even Boycott was full of praise for the way Ireland played.
And he knows a good performance when he sees one. He's very frugal in giving out praise.
Caveats apply as it is entirely possible that the information contained in the above post is either an attempt at a wind-up, an attempt at a joke or just plain wrong.
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

IPL APPEALS TO KEVIN O'BRIEN

Ireland hero Kevin O'Brien would be willing to play in the Indian Premier League were a franchise to make a bid for him.

The 26-year-old woke up Wednesday morning a virtual unknown but went to bed a household name after smashing 113 to help Ireland surpass England's 327 in Bangalore.

He brought up his century in just 50 balls - the quickest in the tournament's history - and bamboozled England's attack with a brutal display of power hitting.

Bookmakers have already offered odds on England asking him to play for them, while some talk has also suggested he could now be on the radar of some IPL sides.

"Who wouldn't (want to play in the IPL)?" he said. "A lot of people have said that Twenty20 suits me, the way I swing the bat and hit a few sixes.

"If something comes of that, even better. If not, just concentrate on Sunday's game and see what happens."

O'Brien came to the crease with Ireland at 106 for four, when their chances of winning were rated at 400-1 by some.

The former Nottinghamshire man soon put paid to that, though, and was then happy to reflect on a "fantastic occasion" for Irish sport.

He said: "From a personal point of view, and I think I speak for a lot of Irish sports teams, not just cricket, beating England in any form of the game in any sport not only at a World Cup is always a fantastic occasion.

"I'm sure a lot of people watched that game, just like they watched the Bangladesh game (last Friday).

"We gave a lot of people something to smile about back home and a lot of people got behind us from then. It's great to put a smile of their faces and really showed what we've been threatening to do for a while now and really back-up the performance.

"We've had that belief for a long time now that we can do something like that and to actually go out there and do it is a different story to thinking you can do it.

"It's not just something that you can get overnight. We've had that belief for a couple of years now that we can beat anyone on our day and if we click in all departments of the game, which we know we have to in this tournament, then we can roll off results like this."

While Ireland have now announced themselves as a nation capable of holding their own at a world cup, they may well not be at the next one following the International Cricket Council's decision to reduce the number of participating teams to 10.

"The ICC have made a decision and it's out of our hands," said captain William Porterfield.

"It's pretty disappointing cutting the teams to 10. I personally think they need to be some kind of qualification. It wouldn't be a world cup if they are cutting out teams."
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

England were pretty sloppy in the field alright, they clearly thought they were going to stroll home after putting up such a big total. An incredible performance from Ireland!
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Sometimes you just have to admire Michael O'Leary

I have Bumbleflex
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

Dave Cahill wrote:Sometimes you just have to admire Michael O'Leary

I didn't know that Ryanair had started up new routes to India! :wink:
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I have Bumbleflex
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

Looks like Canada may have spurned the chance to cause an enormous upset against Pakistan. At the very least, however, today's game is yet further evidence that it would be lunacy to remove the associate nations from the World Cup.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
Sea_point
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sea_point »

dod wrote:How much will Kevin O'Brien be worth in the IPL when i starts again
Quite a lot if he can repeat the heroics, but currently they wont be breaking down his door io the basis of one knock. IPL is still a competition after all...
Only a man who knows what it is like to be defeated can reach down to the bottom of his soul and come up with the extra ounce of power it takes to win when the match is even. Muhammad Ali
claire_m
Shane Jennings

Post by claire_m »

Sea_point wrote:
dod wrote:How much will Kevin O'Brien be worth in the IPL when i starts again
Quite a lot if he can repeat the heroics, but currently they wont be breaking down his door io the basis of one knock. IPL is still a competition after all...
To add to that, yes, it was a great knock. On the other hand, he is now 27 (will be tomorrow!), was with Notts (on an extended trial) a couple of years ago but I can't see that he is contracted to a county at present.

Like Sea_point said, he may well get a contract out of this, but he needs more than one good knock against a woeful and exhausted England side. He managed 37 against Bangladesh and let's see what he can do for the rest of the tournament (along with Ireland) before we all get too carried away.
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

If anyone is thinking of heading out for the next game tickets are now sold out.

http://www.thehindu.com/sport/cricket/a ... 507409.ece
Amz
Mullet

Post by Amz »

Pfft! All those bandwagoners off to India to follow the cricket now that Munster are in the doldrums ...
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

Bangladesh all out for 58!

Windies need just 13 runs from 250 balls to win......
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

4 from 234 now... too close to call really......
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!