2012 Qualifiers

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

suisse
Shane Jennings

Re: 2012 Qualifiers

Post by suisse »

I thought Robbie Keane was very, very poor again. He may have 40 something goals but he is just like the problems the national rugby team faced in 2007. Some guys are untouchable. He's not playing for his club, he's missing easy chances and is resorting to diving more than ever before.

Slovakia looked like scoring on every corner. They have guys who can cross a ball. Late on Gibson lines up a free, but aimlessly plays it back and Dunne just hoafs it forward. Rubbish football.

England 0-0 Montenegro is just hilarious. Despite this abject draw and performance, some England fans never learn. This time Paul Merson. Straight after the game; "if we go 1 nil up, we can beat anybody, ANYBODY" Sorry Paul, not tonight
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

suisse wrote:I thought Robbie Keane was very, very poor again. He may have 40 something goals but he is just like the problems the national rugby team faced in 2007. Some guys are untouchable. He's not playing for his club, he's missing easy chances and is resorting to diving more than ever before.
Nor is Given. Could that be part of the reason for the 4 goals conceded? Maybe Trap should be helping Keane move to Italy with Shay (if the rumours are to be believed).
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

suisse wrote:I thought Robbie Keane was very, very poor again. He may have 40 something goals but he is just like the problems the national rugby team faced in 2007. Some guys are untouchable. He's not playing for his club, he's missing easy chances and is resorting to diving more than ever before.

Slovakia looked like scoring on every corner. They have guys who can cross a ball. Late on Gibson lines up a free, but aimlessly plays it back and Dunne just hoafs it forward. Rubbish football.

England 0-0 Montenegro is just hilarious. Despite this abject draw and performance, some England fans never learn. This time Paul Merson. Straight after the game; "if we go 1 nil up, we can beat anybody, ANYBODY" Sorry Paul, not tonight
Was absolutely awful stuff. The sad thing was it was that it was all so predictable, you just knew Slovakia would equalise at some stage from sloppy Irish defending, we've seen it time and time again. I also had a bad feeling about the penalty before Keane took it. Unless Ireland score with the last kick of the game, the team can't close a game out. It's like looking at the same game over and over again. It's become unwatchable for me.
I know it's not lack of effort, but it's a poor reflection on the Premiership. None of Scotland, NI, Wales or England managed a win either.
Dont Panic!
Mauler
Seán Cronin

Post by Mauler »

It was warming to see that the Ring Leader of the Used Car Salesmen was redistributing some of his €420,000 p/a wealth with the Shake-a-shamrock-for-de-Re-Pub-A-Lick-A-Oir-Land supporters last night. According to Newstalk this morning he spent €5,000 on a round of drinks in Slovakia. Recession ... What recession?
'VJ Singh hits more balls than Elton John's chin' - David Feherty
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Broken Wing wrote:
Nor is Given. Could that be part of the reason for the 4 goals conceded? Maybe Trap should be helping Keane move to Italy with Shay (if the rumours are to be believed).
Given is still playing quite well, and there was nothing he could do for the 4 goals conceded over the two games. There is also a lack of options in replacing him.

Last night proved there was an alternative to Keane, and that's Shane Long. I've never been impressed with Long, but for the next fixture he should keep his place (provided he maintains his League form) ahead of Keane, who is showing nothing for club nor country. The likes of Cillian Sheridan, banging in the goals for CSKA, should get a run. It won't happen of course, and Ireland and Norway will play out a drab 0-0
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

Mauler wrote:It was warming to see that the Ring Leader of the Used Car Salesmen was redistributing some of his €420,000 p/a wealth with the Shake-a-shamrock-for-de-Re-Pub-A-Lick-A-Oir-Land supporters last night. According to Newstalk this morning he spent €5,000 on a round of drinks in Slovakia. Recession ... What recession?

I'm just waiting for him to be exposed claiming back the €5k in expenses in a few months time when he thinks it's forgotten about.
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Armenia 0-0 Russia a FT score

That's a big result for us to see Russia dropping 2 pts. Really need to win tonight (not that we didn't need to anyway) to take full advantage.

Come on Ireland
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
Amz
Mullet

Post by Amz »

I don't know what the hell happened there.

I need sleep!
Last edited by Amz on March 26th, 2011, 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Amz wrote:I just don't know if a new coach, without provincial links, is going to be the panacea for all of Ireland's rugby ills.

Plus you'll have the few who'll find out that new coach "X" had a great grandaunt who lived in Mullingar, so that's why he's picking the Leinster players etc.
I'm hugely confused Ted :? :lol:
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Amz
Mullet

Post by Amz »

Sowee! Had two tabs open and was replying to another thread! Wondered why post wasnt appearing in it!
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Post by nelly the elephant »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:We will put at least 3/4 on Andorra Tuesday which would be a good start to the campaign. I've a sneaky feeling the Armenians may take points of the Russians in Yerevan.
Jaysus SB.....quite prophetic.......I hope you put a few quid on this!
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

2-1 up at HT

It was all going too smoothly. In fairness, very well taken goal by the Macedonian on the stroke of HT.

Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

Not pretty, but huge three points
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Great result from the lads last night :clap:

Key game to look out for is the Slovakia-Russia match. A draw in that game and Ireland have their faith in their own hands.

Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Degz wrote:Not pretty, but huge three points
You can recycle that comment for last night!
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Very frustrating 0-0 draw there. Slovakia were better but Keane and Dunne missed 2 headers (absoloute sitters) to win it for us. Realistically, we've now got to win in Moscow to have any chance of topping the group.

Frustrating as hell to watch!

nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Cianostays wrote:Very frustrating 0-0 draw there. Slovakia were better but Keane and Dunne missed 2 headers (absoloute sitters) to win it for us. Realistically, we've now got to win in Moscow to have any chance of topping the group.

Frustrating as hell to watch!
No argument here.....
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Not really sure how to feel about that draw :?

We got absoloutley destroyed and never looked like scoring but thanks to Shay and Richard Dunne (Paul McGrath 2.0) we managed to get a point. Heroic stuff in defence but completely toothless in attack.

nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Hold onto your hats lads.......Armenia have just taken the lead in Slovakia(second half).......interesting! :D
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

nelly the elephant wrote:Hold onto your hats lads.......Armenia have just taken the lead in Slovakia(second half).......interesting! :D

Now 2-0 up.................this has thrown the cat rightly among t'pidgeons! :shock: