World Cup Thread

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Re: World Cup Thread

Post by Slipper1 »

Xanthippe wrote:
Guardian Newspaper wrote: a Fifa spokesman declares that similar legislation is in place in New Zealand ready for next year's Rugby World Cup.
mean you could technically be in trouble for wearing an Ireland jersey with Irish Permanent advertising rather than O2 advertising?
Dont think so, it is to protect the tournament sponsors so if there was an official mobile provider (other than o2) then an o2 logo on your supporters jersey would be in contravention - or the same with a bank and your IP jersey.

Technically, under the specific law at the Football WC - I think that anyone wearing a Nike jersey into a stadium, could be arrested., as Adidas are "official"
Get in the f%~king bag.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Slipper1 wrote:
Xanthippe wrote:
Guardian Newspaper wrote: a Fifa spokesman declares that similar legislation is in place in New Zealand ready for next year's Rugby World Cup.
mean you could technically be in trouble for wearing an Ireland jersey with Irish Permanent advertising rather than O2 advertising?
Dont think so, it is to protect the tournament sponsors so if there was an official mobile provider (other than o2) then an o2 logo on your supporters jersey would be in contravention - or the same with a bank and your IP jersey.

Technically, under the specific law at the Football WC - I think that anyone wearing a Nike jersey into a stadium, could be arrested., as Adidas are "official"
What a serious load of corporate mebollix!!
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

France and South Africa out!
And the best bit..... France lost. Surely Ireland could have done better than 1 draw out of 3 games? (Like maybe 2 draws)
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Au revoir France!

We'll miss le soap opera!!!

:lol:
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Was a wonderful way to exit.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Cheerio, cheerio, cheerio.....
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

Me happy
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

Fire up the PS3 Patrice :lol: :D :D
:lol: :lol: :lol:
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

THe most read stories on the IT website in the past 24hrs................

Most Read Most Emailed
1.Domenech snubs Parreira over alleged Ireland quip.
2.France's nightmare World Cup finally ends with inglorious exit
3.Farcical French crash and burn4
4.France 'laughing stock of world'

Ye we're totally over it!!!
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Karma is a b*tch!! :lol:

Domenech snubs Parreira over alleged Ireland quip
France concluded a disastrous World Cup campaign with one more controversy yesterday when coach Raymond Domenech refused to shake hands with opposite number Carlos Alberto Parreira over a quote he alleges the Brazilian made over France's involvement in the tournament.

The result sent both countries out of the World Cup in what was each coach's last game in the national hot seat, after Mexico and Uruguay sealed the last 16 spots from Group A.

Domenech, however, reserved all his remaining good will for his players and countrymen and none for Bafana Bafana coach Parreira.

The Frenchman, who greeted members of his beleaguered squad with a handshake after the match, refused to give a reason for snubbing Parreira. The Brazilian was more forthcoming, if a little bemused.

“(Domenech said to me) I don't want to talk to you because you make bad words against my national team... For the life of me I can't remember what I have said,” the 67-year-old told reporters.

Parreira said a French assistant told him he “made a comment to the effect that France perhaps shouldn't have been here" after Thierry Henry's infamous handball in Paris last November.

“I do not remember to quote something like this,” said Parreira, who won the World Cup with Brazil in 1994.

When asked if any of the players refused to play against South Africa at the Free State stadium, Domenech said: “Refuse? No. Eric Abidal wasn't in a state to be able to play and he came and told me that so I preferred he sat on the bench."

However, defender Patrice Evra, who was dropped to the bench and replaced as captain for the match said the players' reasons will be made clear soon enough.

“It's time for us to apologise. It hurts even more because that could have been done yesterday (Monday). I could have done it as the team captain but the coach would not let me,” Evra told reporters.

“I promise to tell the truth about every minute of what I went through. French people need to know the truth because the France team belongs to them and nobody else.”

Despite his recent plight, Domenech's reflection on his national tenure remained positive: "Good luck to my successor and the French team.

“I am France's first new fan. I have had six exceptional years, both good times and bad, I really hope the French team succeed, it has been an honour,” he said.

“I'm not concerned about myself but for the French team's future. I believe the team has a future and that they will also be able to get to the next World Cup,” he added before confirming they will depart for Paris tomorrow.
ribs
Mullet

Post by ribs »

Slipper1 wrote:
Xanthippe wrote:

Arrested? as in committing a seriously criminal offense? since when did commercial law have criminal sanctions? I have a serious problem with this if true.
...a beautiful weighted pass...it is 3 on 2...it is 3 on 1...Hickie!...Magnificent!
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

ribs wrote: Arrested? as in committing a seriously criminal offense? since when did commercial law have criminal sanctions? I have a serious problem with this if true.
Specific laws passed for the FIFA WC.

The UK Govt passed laws last year outlawing the use of the word "London" amongst other things, in adverts without permission of the 2012 organising committee.
Get in the f%~king bag.
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

glory glory ingerland stumble through the group stage finishing behind the usa. But to be fair, that's all they have to do. Die Bundesrepublik most like up next
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Slipper1 wrote:
ribs wrote: Arrested? as in committing a seriously criminal offense? since when did commercial law have criminal sanctions? I have a serious problem with this if true.

The UK Govt passed laws last year outlawing the use of the word "London" amongst other things, in adverts without permission of the 2012 organising committee.

During the Ryder Cup at the K Club, the government signed the tournament zone over to UK law for the duration as their laws were more sponsor friendly and we couldn't get our act together in time to pass similar legislation
I have Bumbleflex
AidanSloan
Knowledgeable

Post by AidanSloan »

Slipper1 wrote:

Interesting. So what does that mean for a registered trade mark? Pepe Jeans london springs to mind
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Was driving on the M50 this afternoon and BOTH of my German flags snapped off and flew away - really thought it was some kind of an omen for tonight. I miss my flags :cry:
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Project Scorpio
Bookworm

Post by Project Scorpio »

BBC v RTE on England game

Hansen: “Once England got the goal the confidence levels surged, they were excellent.”

Eamon Dunphy: “They just didn’t grow in confidence at all after the goal.”

Lineker: “The goal really settled them, didn’t it? They pushed on from there.”

Ronnie Whelan: “You’d think they’d have kicked on from when they scored, but they actually got worse.”

Roy: “England’s crossing has been absolutely outstanding.”

Giles: “Some of the crossing was just awful.”

Shearer: “Rooney looks more confident, he’s getting around the pitch a lot better.”

Dunphy: “It’s shocking to see Rooney so subdued, he’s been reduced to a shivering wreck.”

Shearer: “They look much more comfortable on the ball, they’re passing it with a purpose, with pace, they’re closing down – a much better performance, it’s encouraging.”

Giles: “They’re much better than they have been, but they couldn’t have been worse.”

No arguments, then. Second half. England held on. Full-time. Ready?

Lee Dixon: “A great performance.”

Dunphy: “Shocking . . . absolutely incredibly bad . . . pretty awful stuff.”

Hansen: “The commitment was there, the spirit was there, the enterprise was there, the creativity was there, they passed it better – they could have scored five or six quite easily. Capello will obviously be delighted with the performance.”

Giles: “If that’s the shackles off what’ll they be like when the shackles are back on?”

’Arry Redknapp: “We played with pace, we got after them, we pressed them, there wasn’t a weakness in the team.”

Dunphy: “They were astonishingly poor.”

Lineker: “He looked more like the Rooney we know.”

Ronnie: “Rooney is a major worry, his form, his body language, his demeanour, everything.”

Dixon: “Gerrard was outstanding.”

Dunphy: “I can’t believe how bad Gerrard was today.”

’Arry: “Across midfield we were top drawer.”

Giles: “Barry got worse as the game went on, Milner, Gerrard and Lampard the same.”

’Arry: “Bring it on! Whoever we play we’ll be difficult to beat.”

Ronnie: “If they don’t improve they’ll go straight out, it was a very, very inept performance.”

The consensus ended, though, when Capello appeared on our screens for a chat with Gabby Logan.

The BBC was euphoric about Fabio’s euphoria, but Giles reckoned he was just spoofin’. “It wasn’t exactly the most probing interview,” said Darragh Moloney. “Well she seems a very attractive girl – maybe that’s why she’s doing the interview, she was doing a good bit of creeping there,” said Gilesie. Next time he meets his former Leeds team-mate Terry Yorath – that’d be Gabby’s Da – he should bring a gumshield.
Hank Scorpio: Homer, on your way out, if you want to kill somebody, it would help me a lot.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Right. Office prediction competition. I need to settle on a result of the Engerland - Crazy German Pixies game. Haven't a notion how it's going to go, esp with Schweinsteiger a doubt.

Sensible suggestions welcome (bananas suggestions also accepted)
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

Germany on penalties
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

Bye Bye Italy 0-2 down WITH 20 TO GO