Cricket 2010

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

West Brit
Mullet

Re: Cricket 2010

Post by West Brit »

Stirling is pretty handy for a 19 year old. He certainly got the place rocking. He has beautiful timing and bowled a decent spell too.
Caveats apply as it is entirely possible that the information contained in the above post is either an attempt at a wind-up, an attempt at a joke or just plain wrong.
SCG
Bookworm

Post by SCG »

Great win for Ireland in the final of the ICC World Cricket League! They won all their group matches, and have now had a resoundonding win over Scotland in the final. Set to get 233, a 162 run partnership between Kevin O'Brien (98 not out) and White (79) made it safe after a slight wobble at 53/3. Ireland won by 6 wickets with 31 balls to spare
:happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper:
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

SCG wrote:Great win for Ireland in the final of the ICC World Cricket League! They won all their group matches, and have now had a resoundonding win over Scotland in the final. Set to get 233, a 162 run partnership between Kevin O'Brien (98 not out) and White (79) made it safe after a slight wobble at 53/3. Ireland won by 6 wickets with 31 balls to spare
:happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper:
This just confirms, as if it were necessary, the we remain the number 1 associate nation in cricket. Fair play to Ricky Ponting for coming out a couple of weeks back and suggesting that we should be granted full test status. If we had Joyce and Morgan at the moment, I really believe that we could mount a credible challenge to any of the test nations, and we would probably beat Bangladesh and Zimbabwe.

People complain that we don't have the structures in place at present to maintain a suitable level of consistency at the highest level. This is probably true, but it is no argument against our elevation to test status since it is a problem that could be solved quite easily. The correct approach would be the IRFU model of centrally contracted players competing for provincial sides. In this case, it would probably just be Ulster, Leinster and Munster with about 20 fully contracted players each. Undoubtedly, this would be an expensive exercise but would be covered in the most part by the vast increases in revenue that come with test status, by way of TV rights, sponsorship etc.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
wombatloko
Beginner

Post by wombatloko »

Sadly, cricket will never get critical mass here to make us test players.
The day I see a bunch of Finglas kids playing cricket on the street I'll eat Jackie Healy-Rae's hat while streaking through the procathedral.
This game has been correctly defined as 'organised sunbathing'.
Not suited to the Celtic ethos.
Of disorganised anarchy.
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

wombatloko wrote:Sadly, cricket will never get critical mass here to make us test players.
The day I see a bunch of Finglas kids playing cricket on the street I'll eat Jackie Healy-Rae's hat while streaking through the procathedral.
Of disorganised anarchy.
You really haven't got a clue, do you?

That POV is so far removed from reality, its scary
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
wombatloko
Beginner

Post by wombatloko »

Darce wrote:
wombatloko wrote:Sadly, cricket will never get critical mass here to make us test players.
Of disorganised anarchy.
You really haven't got a clue, do you?

That POV is so far removed from reality, its scary
you really are a bit simple aren't you?

that post is so precious, it's scary

:lol: :lol: :lol:
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/n ... cket-match

Phillip Hughes dies after being hit by bouncer in game 2 days ago. Terribly sad news. I've never heard of this before in cricket.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
The Anathemata
Knowledgeable

Post by The Anathemata »

blockhead wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/n ... cket-match

Phillip Hughes dies after being hit by bouncer in game 2 days ago. Terribly sad news. I've never heard of this before in cricket.
Terrible, terrible news. RIP. Brought back memories of Nevin Spence for some reason. Hughes was a fantastic front foot batsman and came across as a lovely bloke.

Serious injuries and deaths were actually reasonably regular occurances up to the advent of helmets. How anyone could have faced the likes of Michael Holden without a helmet beggars belief!!!
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Post by nelly the elephant »

The Anathemata wrote:
blockhead wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/n ... cket-match

Terrible, terrible news. RIP. Brought back memories of Nevin Spence for some reason. Hughes was a fantastic front foot batsman and came across as a lovely bloke.

Serious injuries and deaths were actually reasonably regular occurances up to the advent of helmets. How anyone could have faced the likes of Michael Holden without a helmet beggars belief!!!
The late, great Cuala & Dublin Hurler and Footballer extraordinaire?? :wink: I think you mean Michael Holding, former West Inidian fast bowler? :)
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Shane Warne RIP. 52. That's sh!t.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

We can add the Windies to the list of giants downed by Ireland.
Paul Stirling smashed a glittering half-century as Ireland eliminated twice champions West Indies from the T20 World Cup and advanced to the Super 12 phase with a nine-wicket thrashing in Hobart on Friday.
The burly redhead's unbeaten 66 from 48 balls helped Ireland mow down a modest total of 146 for five with more than two overs to spare on a cloudy afternoon at Bellerive Oval.
Bob Marley, can you hear me Bob Marley? Your boys took one helluva beating.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Old but always gold when relevant
Anyone But New Zealand
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Another great day for Irish cricket - it doesn't get much better that beating England in the T20 World Cup at the biggest Cricket Ground in the World, the Melbourne Cricket (MCG).

Great start & great finish.

Well done to all
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Ruckedtobits wrote: October 26th, 2022, 12:26 pm Another great day for Irish cricket - it doesn't get much better that beating England in the T20 World Cup at the biggest Cricket Ground in the World, the Melbourne Cricket (MCG).

Great start & great finish.

Well done to all
Bualadh bos!
Showbiz
Beginner

Post by Showbiz »

First ever test match win today. Another big step forward :happy clapper: