Cheltenham 2010

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

Comer Toes
Graduate

Cheltenham 2010

Post by Comer Toes »

Alright, anyone with any tips? Please share...

Anyone taking on the trio of Dunguib, Masterminded, Kauto?

Quantitative easing looks decent odds in the Neptune. Go Native in the champion hurdle I think...
Comer Toes
Graduate

Re: Cheltenham 2010

Post by Comer Toes »

I'm so ronery... so ronery...

God I'm suprised no one else is into horse-racing? I thought the support base had moved to an all-leinster contingent... but where are the Carlow, Kilkenny, Meath and Wexford men and women that are so passionate about national hunt racing??

A quick glance at the schools' cup thread suggests the support base has not changed in any significant manner :D
Fitzybobs
Bookworm

Post by Fitzybobs »

Just so you don't feel that you talking/posting to yourself! :wink: ...

Agree with you for Go Native in the champion - 7/2 this morning.

A quadruple/yankee/Lucky 15 on dunguib, masterminded, big bucks and Kauto might be an option?

Wollcombe Folly (if he runs on Tuesday) could be a nice each way (currently at 25/1 from 33)

Should be a great week of racing looking forward to it!
future international
Enlightened

Post by future international »

Dunguib hovering around 20/21 and sometimes evens on betfair. Huge bet at evens.

Summit Meeting is my outsider fancy for the festival in the novice hurdle on paddys day
silly punt
Enlightened

Post by silly punt »

Tomorrow could be a big day for the Irish.

Dunguib is the Irish banker and should win the first.
Captain CeeBee is fav in the second at 5/2 and if he jumps a clear round could prove to be real value.
The Champion Hurdle will see another Irish horse Go Native go off fav, I dont think he will stay up the hill. There is a rumour that Solwit another Irish horse trained by Charles Byrnes is flying and that the story last week of him being sick was just to get an enhanced price (allegedly). But I think Punjabi who won the race last year looks great value at 7/1 and thats who I will be backing.
The next race is a horrible handicap and should be avoided in my opinion.
The penultimate race of the day is the Banks race which has become the Enda Bolger trust fund. he has the top 2 in the betting. Garde Champetre won it last year but I think Lami can turn the tables on him this year he is 5lbs better off in the handicap than last year and is the class steeplechaser in the race, if he can produce that form over the banks at 7/2 I for one will be happy.
Finally the Lucky Last, my banker of the meeting goes in this, Quevega trained by Willie Mullins and ridden by Ruby Walsh. She won this race last year and is currently trading at 7/4, she would be money on but for the fact that tomorrow will be her first run this season. She was supposed to be very impressive at the Leopardstown racecourse gallop and all of the reports I have heard have been good.

This time tomorrow evening there could be tremendous Irish celebrations in Cheltenham but if it goes pear shaped some could be getting an early boat home. Bring it on this is the Olympics of National Hunt racing and I for one am really looking forward to the next four days.
Experience is the name everyone gives to their failures
aisling7
Rhys Ruddock

Post by aisling7 »

Tips for the week - got these in an email yesterday:

Tuesday

Dunguib - Supreme Novices Hurdle

Sizing Europe – Arkle Chase

Bensalem – William Hill Handicap Chase

Go Native – Champion Hurdle

Wednesday

Rite Of Passage – Neptune Investment Hurdle

Big Zeb – Queen Mother Champion Chase

Sanctuaire – Fred Winter Hurdle

Drumbaloo – Bumper

Thursday

China Rock – Jewson Chase

Tranquil Sea – Ryanair Chase

War Of Attrition – World Hurdle

Prince Taime – Byrne Group Plate

Friday

Carlito Brigante – Triumph Hurdle

Noble Prince – County Hurdle

Enterprise Park – Albert Bartlett Hurdle

Imperial Commander – Gold Cup

Meath All Star – Martin Pipe Hurdle

You’re The Top – Grand Annual Chase
ror
Graduate

Post by ror »

Day 1

SUPREME NOVICES - This whole races centres around one horse, Dunquib, thought this would go off odds on but looking as if the enemy (bookies) want to take him on, if there is evs or better available on the day I will be day I'm lumping on, however for those who like to have a small interest I fancy Dan Breen at 25/1. Some bookies will have a market without Dunquib I would think he'd be about 12/1 in that market. Paddy Power have a special running that they will refund win single only if Dunquib wins

Dunquib to win evs or better, Dan Breen 25/1 ew

ARKLE - Have 3 fancies in the race and finding it very hard to chose one. Captain Cee Bee is the favourite but I'm worried about his jumping, has fallen once, and clattered a few others in his races, in a race like the arkle you've got to jump them all well. My 3 fancies are Sizing Europe, Somersby and Riverside Theatre, I've fancied Somersby since I saw him win in December but after reading the form and the fact that he has only run in 4 runner affairs I'm starting to side against him, in saying that he was third in the supreme last year and good form at Cheltenham is vital. I may change my mind before the off (always a bad move when racing) and back Somersby but at the moment I'm with Sizing Europe and Riverside Theatre. Sizing Europe is currently 11/2 and Riverside Theatre 8/1 at present I can't decide

Sizing Europe 11/2 win , Riverside Theatre 8/1 ew

William Hill Handicap - Still having nightmares about last year's race, backed the second Malijmar at 16/1 still can't believe McCoy won, like a lot of the handicaps quiet a few horses have a few entries, so if these 2 don't run on Tuesday, watch the other races they may turn up there. Have heard that Alan King thinks Bensalem is his best chance of a winner at the festival, I'm not convinced, the two I like are the The Package and Exmoor Ranger

The Package 6/1 win , Exmoor Ranger 14/1 ew

CHAMPION HURDLE - The first day's highlight and has a fairly open market to it. I've had my mind made up for some time and its with the current favourite, Go Native 7/2, if he wins this connections will get a million pound bonus. I'm a back fan of Solwhit and if you fancy him don't let me put you off, but he's never ran at Cheltenham and I think Go Native will have to much speed for him. The horse that I am worried about is Kyber Kim available at 8/1

Go Native 7/2 win, Khyber Kim 8/1 ew

Cross Country - This race has centred around one man, Enda Bolger , who I believe has won it since it was introduced about 5 years ago, once again Enda dominates the market with Garde Champetre and

L'ami. I would normally back Garde Champetre without hesitation but ever year he wins the more weight he has to carry and as we all know weight will stop most things, didn't stop the over 30's hammering the unders 30's though!! I still think he'll win but not half as confident. The one with a bit of value is Silver Birch who won the grand national 2 years ago, Silver won't get into this years National so this is his national

Garde Champetre 9/4 win, Silver Birch 20/1 ew

Mares Hurdle - Was sick I backed United last year instead of Quevega in this, should have know anything called United would be a pig! This year the race is centred around QueVega and Voler la Vedette, concerned over QueVega as she has drifted alarmingly in the last few days however if Willie Mullins is not happy with her he won't run, so based on her running I'm backing her to win, i think a good outside bet is Zarinava at 14/1

Que Vega 2/1 win, Zarinava 14/1 ew

Day 2

Haven't gone through the first race on Wednesday but I've been told to have a few quid on Mobaasher 16/1 from a very good judge

Neptune Novice - Rite of Passage is currently favourite for this but I don't think he's raced against anything this year, won't be having a penny on him, horse I will be backing is Quel Esprit which the way things are going may go off favourite, currently 4/1 but I think this could shorten, 2 outsiders I fancy in the race are Summit Meeting 16/1 and Manyriverstocross 25/1.

Quel Esprit 4/1 win, Summit Meeting 16/1ew or Manyriverstocross 25/1 ew

RSA Chase - The third favourite Weird Al was ruled out yesterday so I think this is down between Long Run and Punchestown, both from Nicky Hendersons's yard. I think Long Run could be the next superstar in racing but my only worry is the jockey, Sam Whaley Cohen, whose father owns the horse, Sam is an amateur and Cheltenham is tough enough without having to worry about an amateur jockey. I'm going to do 2 each way long shots in this, Citizen Vic at 16/1 and Chasing Cars at 80/1 whose trainer Jessica Harrington had a 66/1 second in this last year

Citizen Vic 16/1 ew, Chasing Cars 80/1 ew

Queen Mother - This race all revolves around Master Minded, the defending champion for the last 2 years, was at a preview night, where the guy who bought Master Minded advised all those there to have their mortgage on him and anything else they can sell!, as he's back to his best, if this is the case he will romp to victory. Once again if he's a decent price either evs or 10/11 I will be lumping on, I think he's only challenge will be Kalahari King and at 5/1 i think he's a free bet ew, can't see him out of the first 3, so may do the forecast, Master Minded to beat Kalahari King

Master Minded 10/11 win, Kalahari King 5/1 ew, Master Minded to beat Kalahari King forecast

Coral Cup - Another handicap but this time over hurdles, hard to know what is going to run in this, I asked Patrick Mullins whether Hampshire Express will be taking his chance and he said probably not and will be going to Fairyhouse, however its not unlike the mullins's to change their minds, if they do I think this could be a cracking bet at 25/1. If he doesn't turn up the 2 I like are James De Vassy 16/1 and Wishfull Thinking 14/1

Hampshire Express 25/1 ew if he turns up, James De Vassy 16/1ew, Wishfull Thinking 14/1 ew

Fred Winter -Same applies as above, at the moment I would fancy the favourite if he turns up, Notus De La Tour 6/1 if he doesn't have a look at his stablemate Hunterview. The other horse I like in this is Son A

Mix 12/1 ew for Tom Cooper

Notus De La Tour 6/1 win, Son Amix 12/1 ew

Bumper - An Irish banker, won this so many times, Willie Mullins has a great record in this but I don't think his bumper horses are as good as previous years. Two outsiders I fancy are Frawley 20/1 and MegaStar 25/1 trained by Gary Moore, If the Moores fancy their horses they put the money down, so if there's a big move for Megastar on Wednesday they really fancy it. The 2 Dermot Weld horses look very good but Weld's record at the festival is shocking so I'll give them a miss

Frawley 20/1 ew, Megastar 25/1 ew

DAY 3

Jewson - This will be a last minute decision for Tomsy as I fancy about 6 in this, Paul Nicholls believes that Rivaliste 7/1 is a good thing, I think he's got a great chance but I also like the The Hollinwell 8/1, Hey Big Spender 12/1, Copper Bleu 16/1, Dave's Dream 16/1 and Jered 16/1. I'm hoping that 1 or 2 run elsewhere but if they all turn up together I'm currently with Rivaliste and Copper Bleu subject to change

Rivaliste 7/1 win, Copper Bleu 16/1 ew

Pertemps Final - Looks as if there will be a massive gamble on Alfie Sherrin 7/2, he may win but in a 20 plus handicap the price will be way to short. The two I fancy in this are Ainama 8/1 and Smoking Aces 12/1

Ainama 8/1 ew, Smoking Aces 12/1 ew

Ryanair Chase - The 2 favourites in this will go off short enough, Poquelin 4/1 and Traquil Sea 4/1 of the two I'm favouring towards Poquelin, but I really like the chances of Planet of Sound 14/1, who I think would be favourite only for a fall in his last race

Poquelin 4/1 win, Planet of Sound 14/1 ew

World Hurdle - Race revolves around Big Bucks who will go off the shortest price favourite at the festival currently 8/13, my 2 each way bets are Katchit 25/1 and Power Station 33/1

Katchit 25/1 ew, Power Station 33/1 ew

Haven't looked at the last 2 races yet, but I've been advised to have a few quid on Shillingstone 10/1, there are a few horses that I like in the Jewson entered in the Festival plate so watch out for Hey Big Spender 14/1 and Copper Bleu 20/1

DAY 4

Triumph Hurdle - I did an accumulator before xmas of Dunquib, Master Minded, Big Bucks and Alavian. Alavian was subsequently beaten by Carlito Brigante but has come out since and won easily at Fairyhouse, he is currently favourite at 4/1 which I think is quite short however if they other 3 win I'll be sweating on Friday. The other horse I fancy in this is Westlin Winds 14/1

Alavian 4/1 win, Westlin Winds 14/1 ew

County Hurdle - Qaspal won the Imperial Cup on Saturday and is now favourite for this, if he wins connections will get a €75K bonus, not as if JP needs it. The 2 I fancy in this are Noble Prince 12/1 ew and Eradicate 12/1 ew

Noble Prince 12/1 ew, Eradicate 12/1 ew

Albert Bartlett - Think we'll win this again, I think the favourite will hate the faster ground, really fancy Enterprise Park 6/1 but very wary of Shinrock Paddy 8/1

Enterprise Park 6/1 win, Shinrock Paddy 8/1 ew

GOLD CUP - All the pundits think this revolves around Kauto Star and Denman and to a great extent it does, I couldn't back against Kauto but at current odds of 7/10 I think I'll give it a miss. However I wouldn't be surprised to see Denman run a huge race especially if the forecast rain arrives on Wednesday For 2 against the field I think Cooldine 9/1 and Tricky Trickster 16/1 will run big races. Tricky Trickster is currently 10/1 for the Grand National if he runs well in the Gold Cup he'll end up favourite at about 5/1, if you fancy Tricky Trickster for the National back him now at 10/1

Cooldine 9/1 ew, Tricky Trickster 16/1 ew

Haven't looked at the Foxhunter Chase or the Conditional race in much detail, been told whatever finishes in front of Baby Run 11/2 will win the Foxhunters. In the Conditional I see Hampshire Express 14/1 is also entered so if he turns up here instead of the Coral Cup, I'll back him

Grand Annual - Last race of the festival and hopefully not get out stakes, I like Oiseau de Nuit 12/1 in this but I'm also very conscious that Nicky Henderson really targets this race as its named after his father and its not unusual for him to win with an unfaniced horse, Greenhope 3 years ago at 20/1 got us out of trouble. So looking at the entries Nicky has 4 entered with 2 lurking towards the bottom of the handicap which means they may not get in, but if they do I'll be having a few quid on both of them Your the Top 16/1 ew and Pepsyrock 25/1 ew

Oiseau de Nuit 12/1 ew, and one of Henderson Your the Top 16/1 ew and Pepsyrock 25/1 ew

Finally my Nap of the festival is Go Native 7/2. My each way bet is Frawley. If you want a small bet to potenially pay very big, have an €1 each way lucky 15 (will cost 30 euros, if unsure what at lucky 15 is just ask somebody in the bookies) on the following Frawley ,Copper Bleu in the Jewson, Planet of Sound and Exmoor Ranger, if all 4 win at current odds on Paddy Power you'll win a little over €58,000K , if any of them win or place you'll get something back, best of luck to all and lets hope the bookies get hammered!!!
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

Jumbo Rio in the 3:20 as a e/w is a good punt
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
Fitzybobs
Bookworm

Post by Fitzybobs »

Ouch. Bad day at the office.

Down but not out (yet).
aisling7
Rhys Ruddock

Post by aisling7 »

Get in Big Zeb - got this at 9/1 this morning.

Got Sanctuaire at 6/1 this morning.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

aisling7 wrote:Get in Big Zeb - got this at 9/1 this morning.
Much obliged. :D
Fitzybobs
Bookworm

Post by Fitzybobs »

are you JP McManus in disguise ?! :D
aisling7
Rhys Ruddock

Post by aisling7 »

Fitzybobs wrote:are you JP McManus in disguise ?! :D
:lol: Eh no - I'm way too young!!
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

A pox on both your houses!!!! :evil:
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

Right - 40 quid ready to spend on the nags. someone tell me what to spend it on.
Get in the f%~king bag.
aisling7
Rhys Ruddock

Post by aisling7 »

Donny B. wrote:

A pox on both your houses!!!! :evil:
:lol: Bad day at the office then Donny. I did all my bets for today from what I won yesterday and I'm still up 8)
aisling7
Rhys Ruddock

Post by aisling7 »

Slipper1 wrote:Right - 40 quid ready to spend on the nags. someone tell me what to spend it on.

Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

aisling7 wrote:
Slipper1 wrote:Right - 40 quid ready to spend on the nags. someone tell me what to spend it on.

God Help you if you're wrong! Slipper will never let you forget it!
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

Donny B. wrote:
aisling7 wrote:

God Help you if you're wrong! Slipper will never let you forget it!
She got 4th in the first - I'm only lashing the cash on now.
Get in the f%~king bag.
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

OK - 40quid scattered across the track on a number of horses. come on baby.
Get in the f%~king bag.