Winter Olympics

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Winter Olympics

Post by Slipper1 »

Looking forward to this. Two weeks pretending to be an avid Luge & Skeleton fan and expert in all things snow.

For the record...here is the Irish team, congratulations on being the best in the country at what you do and the verey best of luck to them all.
The Olympic Council of Ireland wrote: Aoife Hoey
DOB 6/9/83

In the year 2000 she attended trials in Dublin held to select a women’s team to attend Bobsleigh school in Lillehammer Norway. At the trials she was selected as an alternate brake athlete as was too young to attend school or compete (she was only 16 years old).

In 2001-2002 she raced on the World Cup circuit as brake athlete for the Irish team.

Following the Winter Games in Salt Lake City, she was given the opportunity to train as sled pilot and has raced in European Cup , World Cup and World Championship events.

Aoife works as a sports administrator with Athletics Ireland
and her team are beneficiaries of Olympic Council of Ireland Olympic Scholarships and technical equipment funding.

Claire Bergin,
DOB: 1/2/85

Age 23, former Muckcross School pupil and has a science degree from DCU, currently doing post grad in Accountancy

Former100/200 metre sprinter, competed at the world juniors Kingston, Jamaica 2002 and Grosseto, Italy 2004, competed at World student games Ismere Turkey, 2005

Bobsleigh brakewomen for Aoife Hoey; her bobsleigh career started in 2008 and has competed in Europa Cups in Igls, Winterberg, and Altinberg

Targeting qualification for 2010 Vancouver

Leona Byrne,
DOB: 28/2/87

Age 21, former St Leos School Carlow pupil, currently final year DCU sports science and health degree student

Former multi-eventer and represented Ireland at the EYOF in Paris 2003

Bobsleigh breakwoman; her bobsleigh career started 2008 and has competed in Europa Cups in Igls, Winterberg, and Altinberg

Targeting qualification for 2010 Vancouver

Slalom Skiers:

Malahide skier Shane O'Connor has declared that he wants to compete for Ireland at the next Winter Olympic Games in 2010.

The experienced ski star is fresh from a fine performance at the world championships in France and will spend the next 10 months working towards his goal of making the Games.

'I intend to put a lot of effort in to the next year and see where it takes me. I'd love a go at the Olympics,' he stated.

The recent world finals saw him compete in the slalom and he competed in the qualifier, enjoying a top 50 placing. This has been heralded as the best result ever by an Irish male in slalom.

Then he went on to compete in two more high profile races in France in the following week and scored an 88 and a 79 in two races, again easily the best ever set of results for any Irish slalom skier.

That results has suddenly brought the Olympics into view but at the same time means the challenge is even greater to maintain the high standards.

His French results were well within B-standard qualification for the Olympic Games and as the current no. 1 male in his class, Shane has certainly put himself in the shop window for consideration.

'Nothing is guaranteed in this sport and I will be training for the next 10 months with the goal of representing Ireland at the 2010 Winter Olympics,' he stated.

But for that he's going to have to make some fairly big sacrifices in terms of training and finance.

Kirsty McGarry

Name: Kirsten Kate Llewellyn McGarry
Nickname: Kirsty
Born: 25/07/1985, Dublin, Ireland
Height: 172cm, Shoe: 40/41,
Glove size: ladies M / 7.5
Schools: Rathdown Dublin, Ecole Primaire de Chatel, Ecole Franco Irlandaise, Dublin.
Ski Clubs: The Kandahar, The Ladies Ski Club, Ski Club of Ireland.
Favourites:

Music: Eclectic mix as I appreciate lots of music styles. R & B for dancing, otherwise Pop-Rock and I enjoy classical and even country music. Irish musicians and singers touch on of all of these, though of course my sister is the best singer/songwriter of all.
Film: I tend to prefer light entertainment at the cinema such as romantic comedies or Harry Potter; but if based on a book I often prefer the book. T.V. The original series of Pride and Prejudice still appeals.
People: I admire people like Mohammed Ali, for his determination, raw talent and self belief. I like Aksel Lund Svindal because he’s always smiling (as well as being a brilliant skier). I’m lucky to have my family and some great friends who all mean a lot to me.
Books: The Da Vinci Code, Harry Potter, The Hitchhikers Guide, several Adriana Trigiani books.
Foods: Fruit-a-holic, Nutella and banana crepes, and Spaghetti Bolognese (spag. bol. was apparently my first solid food!).
First learned to ski: In Chatel before 2yrs old, with Mum, Dad and sister Tam.
Favourite ski area: Chatel, in the Portes Du Soleil, France is still my favourite ski area, it‘s so big and varied; but I also love New Zealand.

Funding: Benefits from an Olympic Council Scholarship

Skeleton Bobsleigh

Pat Shannon

Date of Birth: 10.04.1977
Height: 177 cm
Weight: 85 kg
Residence:
Year began competition: 2003
Year national team: 2003

Funding: Olympic Council of Ireland scholarship

Cross Country Skiing

Paul Griffin

Place of birth: Kerry.
A member of Muckross Rowing Club in Kerry, Paul rowed in his second Olympics in Beijing at the age of 29.
A world silver medallist in 2005, which added to the bronze he won in 2006, and he was a member of the Irish team that finished 6th in the Olympics in Athens and 10th at the Beijing Olympic Games.
Cross country skiing formed a significant part of Paul’s training for rowing. It became apparent that he had an aptitude for this wintersport. Paul; after much consideration, has decided to pursue the challenge of representing Ireland at the Vancouver Olympic Games in 2010.
Funding: Olympic Scholarship holder

PJ Barron, Cross Country Skier

Born in Aberdeen, 13/12/89 , represents the Huntly Nordic Ski Club

PJ started skiing when he was about 13years old. Friends kept invited him to open days at the local nordic centre in Huntly and his enjoyment of the sport has just grown from there. He began to take it seriously in 2007 when taking a Gap year and went to Canmore, Canada (the XC Venue for the Calgary Games) That year he raced across Canada and Europe racing in the 2008 World Junior Championships. He recieved his licence to compete for Ireland in December 2008.

Last season he began at University at The Robert Gordons University, Aberdeen and struggled with injury, however still raced at the World Junior Champs and the World Nordic Ski Champs. Training is about 15hours a week with a mix of Gym based strength training i.e. Weights, Rollerskiing in both classic and Skate, Running and a bit of cycling . Recently he's been studying for University exams and training before heading out for the World U23 Champs.
Get in the f%~king bag.
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Re: Winter Olympics

Post by Slipper1 »

Sorry - that may not be the exact team, but the OCI website is dire.
Get in the f%~king bag.
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

The official Winter Olympics site doens't list Leona Byrne or Paul Griffin.

It also says Aoife Hoey is 6'4"! (Tall women is my kryptonite.)
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

Apparently she is the tallest woman competing in the games! I am sure some ladies team could snap her up as a second row!
Skinfull
Mullet

Post by Skinfull »

Shocking lack of coverage on for this! Grrrr!

Sky is showing nothing, BBC has broken coverage. Gutted.
"Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!" - Kirk
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

Skinfull wrote:Shocking lack of coverage on for this! Grrrr!

Sky is showing nothing, BBC has broken coverage. Gutted.
Eurosport had loads on last night.
Get in the f%~king bag.
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

BBC Red button is your only man for coverage. Watched the Men's Speed Skating and Luge. No Irish people invovled yet though.
Pro 12 Champions 14!
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Not my cup of tea. But it looks stunning on Eurosport HD and BBC HD (Which are free to anyone with an NTL dvr box. Does mean getting a new box but no charge. BBC HD for 6N too! MMMMM!!)
shelly94
Knowledgeable

Post by shelly94 »

loving the bbc red button - watched the speed skating over the weekend and the luge..Which is a crazy sport
Skinfull
Mullet

Post by Skinfull »

I have UPC/Chorus/NTL (or whatever they are called) basic cover with Skysports...I dont think I have eurosport though! And I dont have "red button" well I do but it dont do anything!

No irish activites till I think the 15th at 12.30 Cros Country Skiiing... PJ FTW!!!

http://www.olympicsport.ie/Content.aspx?pageid=46 the provisional schedule of the "irish" events are here.
"Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!" - Kirk
shelly94
Knowledgeable

Post by shelly94 »

bbc have a highlight show on most nights at 8:30
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

As far as I know the only difference between the Luge and Skeleton is that the competitiors go head first in the Skeleton.

I see Ian O'Riordan ripped off a Jerry Seinfeld skit about the Luge for his piece in Saturday's IT.
Pro 12 Champions 14!
shelly94
Knowledgeable

Post by shelly94 »

Broken Wing wrote:As far as I know the only difference between the Luge and Skeleton is that the competitiors go head first in the Skeleton..
i think so either way i wouldnt fancy it..Think its a sport for nutters :D
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

johng wrote:Not my cup of tea. But it looks stunning on Eurosport HD and BBC HD (Which are free to anyone with an NTL dvr box. Does mean getting a new box but no charge. BBC HD for 6N too! MMMMM!!)
Hmm. I have an old skybox (cardless) that acts as a UK freeview box, so I get the red button etc.. Anyone know if i can tune in BBC HD to it?
A proud Winsome Fluter
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:Hmm. I have an old skybox (cardless) that acts as a UK freeview box, so I get the red button etc.. Anyone know if i can tune in BBC HD to it?
That's exactly the setup I have. Needs to be a HD box to get the HD channels though.
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

Broken Wing wrote:
Grumpy Old Man wrote:Hmm. I have an old skybox (cardless) that acts as a UK freeview box, so I get the red button etc.. Anyone know if i can tune in BBC HD to it?
That's exactly the setup I have. Needs to be a HD box to get the HD channels though.
Buggeration :(
A proud Winsome Fluter
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:
Broken Wing wrote:
Buggeration :(
It's a bit like "can I play dvds on my old cd player"
As I said in the original post HD is free on NTL if you already have their DVR (or Plus) box. But you do have to get another physical box. (Which has double the amount of space as well as being HD, and looking more attractive) The new box is also free. And no I don't work for NTL.

My missus was giving me grief for watching the "English" commentary. So I switched back to RTE, the difference was unbelievable. Generally women's perception of HD is a bit like men's perception of eeeeeh, curtains.
You get "yeah it's clearer, so what" With this direct comparison there was no argument. Turn it back! :D
bluedabadi
Knowledgeable

Post by bluedabadi »

There also seems to be decent streaming online coverage. There were 4 or 5 different viewing options on the official (I think) site. A lot of it is on pretty late though. Has the mens ice hockey started yet?
claire_m
Shane Jennings

Post by claire_m »

ice hockey started yesterday, I think.

http://www.vancouver2010.com/olympic-hockey/

loving the hockey and the games in general. Just wish there was a highlights package when I get in. I was going to have an early night last night as I was feeling poorly. Ended up watching the womens board cross and luge. 1am I got to bed :(
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

The women's downhill was excellent last night!