Finally, an objective view on football.

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

gleesonisgod
Mullet

Finally, an objective view on football.

Post by gleesonisgod »

Wonderful. As much as I wish I did, I didn't write this.

I take more pleasure in seeing Chelsea lose than I do in seeing QPR win at the moment.

I sat through so many matches when we were absolute dogs**t under the likes of Ray Harford and with people like Paul Bruce, Matthew Brazier and Mark Perry in the squad and I never felt like this.

The club isn't ours anymore but moreso than that - football is just properly gash these days.

I mean really gash.

football generally.

I hate nearly everything about it these days....

I hate the Prem and the myth that it is exciting this year. Man City breaking into the top four isn't exciting. They spent loads of money. It's no more exciting that Nameless C*** getting to number 1 in the charts after winning the X-Factor.

I hate the myth of Arsene's kids. Buying some French kid when he's 17, playing him in the League Cup and then selling him when he's 20 after about 3 appearances in the league is NOTHING SPECIAL.

I hate hearing about Liverpool/Man Utd's debt but nothing ever happening about it. A club needs to go to the wall for the money thing to change but it doesn't happen. Why the **** are Charlton, Leeds and Southampton still in business?

I hate Frank Lampard's stupid f'ing face. I hate that Joe Cole's tongue is never in his mouth, the downsy spacker. I hate John Terry being England captain when he's CLEARLY AN OAF.

I hate the England team.

I hate young exciting wingers who have nothing but pace. Tony Scully had nothing but pace.

I hate the FA Cup. There may be little shocks like last night but for the most part you know who's going to win it. Unless a team throws away all their financial security to win it a la Pompey.

I hate Harry f'ing Redknapp. And Jamie Redknapp. And Louise Redknapp. And the Wii.

I hate James Nesbitt, Eammon Holmes and f***ing everyone.

I hate Gary Lineker and Alan Shearer.

I hate Garth Crooks.

I hate Garth Brooks for that matter.

I hate Sky Sports.

I hate that when a lower league player beats 10 players and chips the keeper it doesn't matter but if Rooney scores from more than 20 yards it's amazing.

I hate that everything football related has to have 'Club Foot' playing behind it.

I hate that female sports journos are now mandatory.

I hate Mark Lawrensen for not coming out. 'I do like a big man at the back'. I bet you do.

I hate any advert that portrays football to be about anything other than pain and disappointment.

I hate any advert that mentions pies at football.

I hate Lee Hughes and the fact that he makes a living from the game. I hate Marlon King and any team that signs him when he gets out. I hate that it'll probably be us.

I hate Phil Brown.

I hate 'well the ball is a lot lighter now and will cause goalkeepers real problems this summer' before EVERY F'ING TOURNAMENT.

I hate that Kieron Dyer earned more in the time I took to write this post than I'll earn this month.

I hate Adrian Durham, Ian Wright and Alan Brazil.

I hate Gazza. Either die or shut up. Stop f'ing lingering.

I hate hearing about Hillsborough more than I hear about Heysel or Bradford.

I hate that a comeback from 4-0 down at half time (TWICE) means nothing because we aren't f'ing scouse.

I hate Leeds.

I hate Roy Keane.

I hate grown men wearing football shirts of their team whilst shopping on a saturday when their team is playing at home.

I hate that I don't hate Roy Hodgson.

I hate Jermaine Beckford and any player who has neck tattoos.

I hate songs being inappropriately taken as club anthems and then sung in a manly way. 'I'm forever blowing bubbles....'. Gaylords.

I hate Danny Dyer and anyone he's ever interviewed.

I hate the book 'Cass' by Cass Pennant. It is honestly the stupidest thing I've ever read. Chapter 1: Millwall. 'Yeah we took 50 to Millwall. They had 1000 in their mob but we ran 'em up and down the street'. Chapter 2: Liverpool. 'Yeah we took 50 to Liverpool. They had 2000 in their mob but we ran 'em up and down the street'. Fk me... Jade Goody's autobiography is probably better. Even her non-ghost written one.

I hate that all good youngsters end their careers at Spurs before they start.
Last edited by gleesonisgod on January 29th, 2010, 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I like to think of Jesus like with giant eagles wings, and singin' lead vocals for Lynyrd Skynyrd with like an angel band and I'm in the front row and I'm hammered drunk!
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Re: Finally, an objective view on football.

Post by johng »

Wow! What a post.
Seeing as the last time I followed soccer was when Johnny Giles and Jack Charlton, Norman Hunter, Peter Lawnmower, Billy Bremner, Eddy Grey, Garry Sprake (Wow I can still name that many, I had no idea) and all were playing for Leeds, and Leeds were a great team. I have no clue who half (maybe even 3/4) the people you just named are.

But I can certainly get the drift.
I can never fathom why the damn thing is so popular. 0 0 draws and all that.
Of course I was a bandwaggon fairweather supporter in the charlton era. (Who wasn't)
And I do acknowledge that it is the world game etc.
I also acknowledge that Rugby is hard to understand for the uninitiated.
But FFS soccer! It is drab in the extreme in 90 odd % of games.
Overpayed primadonnas falling over on purpose all the time and whinging like little girls, for meggabucks.

Anyway Great post! I enjoyed reading it!
josephusdaniels
Beginner

Post by josephusdaniels »

You can only imagine the list of grievances a Connaught fan would have then...
There is no better moment than this moment, when we're anticipating the actual moment itself. All of the moments that lead up to the actual moment are truly the best moments. But, the moment is reality, and reality always kinda sucks!
~Lewis Black
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

gleesonisgod wrote:I hate Mark Lawrensen for not coming out. 'I do like a big man at the back'. I bet you do.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

So who did write it?
A proud Winsome Fluter
gleesonisgod
Mullet

Post by gleesonisgod »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:So who did write it?
It is from the football365 forum je pense.
I like to think of Jesus like with giant eagles wings, and singin' lead vocals for Lynyrd Skynyrd with like an angel band and I'm in the front row and I'm hammered drunk!
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

Epic post. :happy clapper:
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Just read that post with Park Life by Blur in the background. Seems to pull it altogether somehow.
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

Nothing objective about that rant. Although a quality rant it certainly is.
Wonder would he have said that if QPR were in the Premier league :lol:
Methinks not.
3 Gold Stars
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

gleesonisgod wrote:
I hate that I don't hate Roy Hodgson.
:lol:
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Does sum up a lot of the current frustrations with the game quite beautifully though.

John Terry is such an odious human being.
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

Donny B. wrote:Does sum up a lot of the current frustrations with the game quite beautifully though.

But is he? Just because the media decide to print photos of him being adulterous? Its the very same media who built him up to such a stature that you'd think he pissed Gold. Careful manipulation as usual by a gutter press.
I'd venture to say he's one of many footballers in the UKs 4 pro divisions who are doing this. The cult of the footballer is strong in that country where they are percieved as demi Gods. Again press manipulation feeds this perception.
Tell me this Donny, if beautiful young women constantly threw themselves at the Men in the Horseshow House on a regular basis.......... how many would take the bait?

I think Terry is an overpaid, overhyped duplicitious individual but is he any more odious that the pond life that control and report for the tabloids?
3 Gold Stars
gfo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by gfo »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:I think Terry is a[n] overpaid, overhyped duplicitious individual football player.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:
Donny B. wrote:Does sum up a lot of the current frustrations with the game quite beautifully though.

But is he? Just because the media decide to print photos of him being adulterous? Its the very same media who built him up to such a stature that you'd think he pissed Gold. Careful manipulation as usual by a gutter press.
I'd venture to say he's one of many footballers in the UKs 4 pro divisions who are doing this. The cult of the footballer is strong in that country where they are percieved as demi Gods. Again press manipulation feeds this perception.
Tell me this Donny, if beautiful young women constantly threw themselves at the Men in the Horseshow House on a regular basis.......... how many would take the bait?

I think Terry is an overpaid, overhyped duplicitious individual but is he any more odious that the pond life that control and report for the tabloids?
Who's to say they don't? :wink:

As for Terry I really don't care that much about his adultery, he's cheated on the wife before and she's obviously happy to hang onto her meal ticket. To me it's just a further extension of him being a selfish, egotistical lowlife who's greed borders on the patholigical. He has whored himself around as England trying to hoover up every bit of sponsorship he can get, even though he's getting 150k a week from Chelsea. The myth of England's Brave John Terry was always just that, a myth. Good player at premiership level but contantly found out at European and International level.

In any case, the English tabloids are of course complete scumbags, but it's not a question of having to pick a side. They're both equally odious.
LENSTA
Knowledgeable

Post by LENSTA »

Magnificent rant! Football has transformed into an effeminate, dive-ridden and over-hyped pantomime. If I want to watch 22 disinterested millionaires go through the motions I’ll go to the next AIB board meeting.

Bring back 80’s football...

#ScrapTheLions