NFL

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

Lamb of BOD
Enlightened

Re: NFL

Post by Lamb of BOD »

nelly the elephant wrote:Cheers toJohn23(congrats!), Lamb of Bod and the Bear(not sure who else) who played the fantasy football this year...looking forward to playing next year.
Indeed, cheers to you all for playing along - and I'll add my congrats to John who (if my memory hasn't failed me completely) led our mini-league from the start till the end - well done, sir. That was my first attempt at fantasy, and I am also looking forward to having a crack at it again next season. It really encouraged me to take an interest in players from the other 31 teams and, as such, massively increased my interest in the league as a whole.

Whilst I am now looking forward to OTAs and the draft, fans of other teams have the playoffs to look forward to. What an excellent - and nerve-wracking - final day of the season that was. I don't think, even in his wildest dreams - that Goodell could have expected to have so much riding on the last day. I felt sure that Pittsburgh were somehow going to scrape through - but that's a decent SD team, who could do something in the playoffs. San Fran must be the best wildcard team there has been for some years now. Even without Romo the 'Boys managed to shoot themselves in the foot. The final word must surely go to Aaron Rodgers - the man is, simply put, a genius.
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Post by nelly the elephant »

Man I LOVE the playoffs..............anyone watching the Colts/Chiefs game on now? A great antidote to the shite from Dog poo stadium earlier.
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
TheBear
Enlightened

Post by TheBear »

nelly the elephant wrote:Man I LOVE the playoffs..............anyone watching the Colts/Chiefs game on now? A great antidote to the shite from Dog poo stadium earlier.
I'm listening to it, and watching the big plays. Colts are being crushed. So much for the Chiefs suffering for resting their starters last week...
Heavy words are so lightly thrown
TheBear
Enlightened

Post by TheBear »

TheBear wrote:
nelly the elephant wrote:Man I LOVE the playoffs..............anyone watching the Colts/Chiefs game on now? A great antidote to the shite from Dog poo stadium earlier.
I'm listening to it, and watching the big plays. Colts are being crushed. So much for the Chiefs suffering for resting their starters last week...
And now they're only three down! Jaysus!
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

TheBear wrote:
TheBear wrote:
And now they're only three down! Jaysus!
L.O.L......it's brilliant, isn't it! Some wonderful play there tonight....on a completely different level to what I'm used to seeing with my Jets. Andrew Luck has some mental strength all the same.....you can see he has it all to win a Super Bowl some day.
Lamb of BOD
Enlightened

Post by Lamb of BOD »

Almost unbelievable comeback. Bang goes the 'Andy Reid for coach of the year' balloon. Agreed on Luck - he has some composure, especially after throwing a couple of potentially disastrous picks earlier.

There were over 100 people helping clear snow from the Linc earlier in preparation for the second game. Looks darn cold, but they did a good job getting the pitch playable. More of the same high scoring, please!
TheBear
Enlightened

Post by TheBear »

Don't think I'll be watching the second match tonight, all the same; it'll wait till a reasonable hour tomorrow.

(Having just seen the Philly O, do they not have barbers in that part of the world?)
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

Saw neither of those results coming. Great weekend so far. I'm backing the Bengals & 49ers tonight so putting money on the Chargers & Packers is probably a safe bet.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

Good grief. Chargers leave me 0 for 3. All down to the 49ers now.
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

The 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013 Superbowl champions were all the 1st team to visit Philadelphia in the regular season. If that continues then the Chargers are on their way to winning the Superbowl.
Pro 12 Champions 14!
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Broken Wing wrote:Good grief. Chargers leave me 0 for 3. All down to the 49ers now.
I stayed up for the end of the Eagles/Saints game last night.....I love this time of the year...and love how the NFL truly meets the mantra of "any given Sunday".
The 49'ers should be 14 up instead of two field goals...they appear to have the Pack's number on offense & defence...
Lamb of BOD
Enlightened

Post by Lamb of BOD »

Have to say I;m absolutely delighted with the announcement from New York that the Giants have signed McAdoo as our new OC. The offence he has helped shape in GB will fit really nicely with what Eli does best and I am now seriously looking forward to next season. It's unfortunate that Mike Pope got his cards as a result - for me he's one of the top TE coaches in the league - but you have to let the new man assemble his own team. Plenty of personnel questions to be answered over the course of the off-season, but the McAdoo signing is a big one.

I guess there are still a handful of teams playing on this season! This weekend should serve to rekindle the interest with two potentially great games coming up. I assume Denver are big favourites over NE, but what price on Belichick figuring out how to nullify Peyton? The NFC Championship game is the one I;m more looking forward to. Should be a cracker. You've got the 12th man roaring on Marshawn with a phenomenal defence supporting versus the elusive Kaepernick with Crabtree to throw to. The SF defence is excellent, too. I think I;d still go for Seattle, but it'll be close.
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

As a Rams fan, I'm going to have to shout for Seattle and Denver this weekend. :D
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
Lamb of BOD
Enlightened

Post by Lamb of BOD »

Of the four remaining teams, I actively dislike one (Denver) and have nothing good to say about two (NE and SF) which makes me a Seahawks fan until the 2nd of Feb
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Lamb of BOD wrote:Of the four remaining teams, I actively dislike one (Denver) and have nothing good to say about two (NE and SF) which makes me a Seahawks fan until the 2nd of Feb

Easy for me.....ANYONE but the effin Pats!
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Hoping Denver can hold on to their lead here...Patriots have just scored to leave the Broncos leading 23-10 with 9 minutes left in the 4th.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Sickened by 9ers loss. Kaep making a balls of throwing to Crabtree in the final play, just like the Superbowl last year.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Some serious trash talking by yer man Sherman after that play :)
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

CiaranIrl wrote:Sickened by 9ers loss. Kaep making a balls of throwing to Crabtree in the final play, just like the Superbowl last year.
Couldn't happen to a nicer guy in fairness. While both the Seahawks and the 49ers have a good few gougers in their squads, I often find myself just looking at the QBs or coaches in deciding who to support. In that regard, give me Russell Wilson (one of the nicest guys in the league) and Pete Carroll over Colin Kaepernick and Jim Harbaugh any day of the week.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

The two best teams in the league play in the Superbowl but I just can't get psyched about it. When the Cards didn't make the playoffs I was backing the Bengals (on the grounds that I spent a summer in Cinci). When they went out I switched to the Colts as my mate supports them. When they lost I went 49ers because the two guys I know that watch regularly had jumped on board. After week upon week of being on the losing side I'm a beaten man. The Seahawks (and, admittedly, 49ers) prevented the Cards getting in but the alternative is the Denver Broncos and, well, it's the Denver Broncos. Even Homer didn't want anything to do with them.
Pro 12 Champions 14!