Cricket 2009

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

suisse
Shane Jennings

Re: Cricket 2009

Post by suisse »

munster11 wrote: Interesting discussion lads - It's great to get the views of people who know their stuff, even if I don't always necessarily agree with them.
True..... that's what the message board is all about. BUT YOU'RE WRONG :D
munster11 wrote: PS: As an aside, Eoin Morgan made England's provisional Twenty20 squad. If they don't name him in their XV (and do you think they will), can we then pick him?
It's hard to know really - I see in the Guardian's CC preview, the "Big Year" tag was attached to Morgan. Boy has obvious talent, but it has gone very flat on him since the world cup (even before that). Honestly, I think his heart lies with playing test cricket for England, so I hope he does make their 20/20 team - for his sake. He put in a good innings with WP against the Netherlands, so perhaps he is returning to form?

Can I ask you a question? If guys don't want to play for Ireland (OK, that's not the right phrase, but you know what I mean?), should we be stopping them from representing England? Do you think St. Gerard's School in Bray were delighted to see Joyce play for England?
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

It's hard to know really - I see in the Guardian's CC preview, the "Big Year" tag was attached to Morgan. Boy has obvious talent, but it has gone very flat on him since the world cup (even before that). Honestly, I think his heart lies with playing test cricket for England, so I hope he does make their 20/20 team - for his sake. He put in a good innings with WP against the Netherlands, so perhaps he is returning to form?
In fairness Morgan had a pretty decent season last year. Made a few centuries in the County Championship, a great century against a full South African side when they played Middlesex in a warm up prior to their test series against England and he was the vital cog (along with Malan and the spinners) in Middlesex's victory in the 20/20 Cup.
munster11
Beginner

Post by munster11 »

Great point re: the future tours program. We're lucky if any of the test nations fit us into their schedule so we don't get much practice in the shorter forms against quality opposition. The Friends Provident is great for the squad to develop players but it's hard to be competitive missing three or four of our best players. They weren't bad last year all the same, beating Warwickshire and a few close calls.

No, I have no problem with Morgan playing for England if he wants to. Of course, we cannot force a player to play for us but it's a pity that we aren't in a position to keep them because progress will be difficult otherwise. As I said as well, It's annoying to see Irish players given a shot with England and then discarded, thus ruling them out of the international scene for (min) four years. Maybe a special dispensation could be made for such players if not chosen by England, given our special circumstances. I don't even know if Joyce would play with us in those circumstances, would he?

I'm sure St Gerald's would be proud because he has made a fine career for himself. 208-9 against Kenya, not sure if Ireland are too bothered here but they came from 85-4 so fair play. They really should be giving it everything because there's so much at stake for all the other teams in this tournament.

ODI just about to start in Jo'burg. Aussies need to salvage a bit of pride after losing the series and going down to 3rd in the rankings.
simonno6
Rhys Ruddock

Post by simonno6 »

suisse wrote:
munster11 wrote: Interesting discussion lads - It's great to get the views of people who know their stuff, even if I don't always necessarily agree with them.
True..... that's what the message board is all about. BUT YOU'RE WRONG :D
munster11 wrote: PS: As an aside, Eoin Morgan made England's provisional Twenty20 squad. If they don't name him in their XV (and do you think they will), can we then pick him?

Can I ask you a question? If guys don't want to play for Ireland (OK, that's not the right phrase, but you know what I mean?), should we be stopping them from representing England? Do you think St. Gerard's School in Bray were delighted to see Joyce play for England?
If he's not selected in the revised squad then we can pick him... oh and suisse, he went to pres bray ;-)
Saturday 23rd May 2009 - Number 1
Saturday 21st May 2011 - Brace
Saturday 19th May 2012 - Hatrick!
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

simonno6 wrote: If he's not selected in the revised squad then we can pick him... oh and suisse, he went to pres bray ;-)
I had a 50-50 chance of getting it right, byt got it wrong....... :oops:

The legend that is Steve Tikolo wiped out Ireland's attack today. 3 wickets for just 11 runs? :shock: And only 4 overs? Ireland finish on 208-9

Kenya on 65-2
simonno6
Rhys Ruddock

Post by simonno6 »

hah, i like the way you went for the more upmarket one as well!

We need to get that old b$&%@#d out now, if he gets going with the bat - we'll be in a lot of trouble!
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

simonno6 wrote:hah, i like the way you went for the more upmarket one as well!

We need to get that old b$&%@#d out now, if he gets going with the bat - we'll be in a lot of trouble!
I can't remember which one is which. I remember going to a play a match at one of them back in school, and it was the most hostile ground (outside of the Northern schools) ever. Behind one goal was a forest, on one side of the pitch there was a massive drop the whole lenght, behind the other goals were the changing rooms, and on the other side of the pitch was this hilly bank that looked straight over the pitch. The whole school would turn up for a game. It was the Ali Sami Yen of school's rugby. The abuse the poor hookers took was unbelievable.

Ireland took some higind yesterday, and Australia gained some pride.

Problems with England's squad for the WI's.
silly punt
Enlightened

Post by silly punt »

A brilliant unbeaten century from skipper William Porterfield helped Ireland romp home to a nine-wicket victory over Canada to claim their first ICC World Cup qualifier title at SuperSport Park in Centurion today.

Ireland saved the best for last to post their most emphatic victory in South Africa, bowling out the Canadians for 185 before losing just one wicket as they chased down their target with 45 balls to spare.

Trent Johnston was the star with the ball as his dramatic introduction was the cue for an implosion in the Canadian innings that had been rolling along at close to seven an over.

Johnston’s five wickets for just 14 runs, a One Day International record for Ireland, reduced them to 88 for six.

Umar Bhatti helped Canada make a recovery, scoring 46 before he was run out after a 54-run ninth-wicket partnership of 54 with Khurram Chohan, who fell the same way the very next ball to wrap up the innings for 185 with two overs remaining.

Porterfield and Gary Wilson built a steady opening stand and had put on 89 before Wilson went for 38.

After bringing up his half-century off 80 deliveries, Porterfield started to move through the gears alongside Niall O’Brien. He passed the 500-run mark in the tournament when he made it to 89 and followed it up with his second century with a four through extra cover.

That was the 13th four of his innings and just two balls later O’Brien was struck the winning boundary as Ireland triumphed in the only competition in Associate cricket that they had yet to win.

Scores
Canada 185 (48 ovs) (U Bhatti 46, A Mulla 36, K Chohan 26; T Johnston 5-14, B Rankin 2-34), Ireland 188-1 (42.3 ovs) (W Porterfield 104no, N O'Brien 38no, G Wilson 38). Ireland won by 9 wkts and take title
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Experience is the name everyone gives to their failures
simonno6
Rhys Ruddock

Post by simonno6 »

Eoin Morgan century today for middlesex - Philip Hughes and Strauss also reaching three figures. This guy hughes is going to be the best player of his generation. I dont think he's hit a score under fifty for Australia or Middlesex since his duck on debut against SA. Averages 69 in tests and 64 in first class cricket (22 matches and 2,500 runs).

Porterfield, after a brilliant knock live on sky at the weekend hit 25 and NOB was adjudged LBW (harshly by all acounts) for 13.
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

Porterfield out for a first ball duck in the second innings.

Was listening to the commentary on the Middlesex game. Sounded like Morgan pulled off some beautiful shots on his way to that century. As you said that Hughes lad is some talent. What a start he's had to his stint at Middlesex. He's going to be something else in the Ashes I'd imagine
simonno6
Rhys Ruddock

Post by simonno6 »

8-1 in paddys for top run scorer in the ashes. Very ecent value - ill stick a tenner on that. PP musn't been keeping an eye on domestic cricket!
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

simonno6 wrote:8-1 in paddys for top run scorer in the ashes. Very ecent value - ill stick a tenner on that. PP musn't been keeping an eye on domestic cricket!
Domestic cricket is huge in PP - but the total odds for a market must come to an exact final total, so what PP have at 8-1 as generous, we will have other selections, maybe KP, which will seem rather short to competitors. Lump on at 8-1 though.

Sure, PP are offering 10-1 on Rob Kearney starting the first test against the Boks on either wing. Great value
simonno6
Rhys Ruddock

Post by simonno6 »

Yeh I get what you mean - incredibly generous with hughes! I think the only real question mark over him was how he would adapt to English conditions. He's performed sensationally on early season green-top lords pitches, by the time they harden up for the ashes he will be unstoppable.

I see paddy's were advertising for a cricket trader - I would kill for a job like that but unfortunately timing is poor in terms of other things ive got going on.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

simonno6 wrote:Yeh I get what you mean - incredibly generous with hughes! I think the only real question mark over him was how he would adapt to English conditions. He's performed sensationally on early season green-top lords pitches, by the time they harden up for the ashes he will be unstoppable.

I see paddy's were advertising for a cricket trader - I would kill for a job like that but unfortunately timing is poor in terms of other things ive got going on.
Paddy's are always looking fpr staff - bookmaking is recession proof - and the job you are referring to is cricket and darts Trader. But, in reality, two from cricket, boxing, darts and rugby will get you in the door, as long as you are numerate. Problem is, applications now are surreal - former solicitors, accountants etc. The competition for jobs has increased beyond belief.
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

Morgan has just been named in England's 15 man squad for the World 20/20. Thats him finished with Ireland then. Delighted for him that he has got the call up
simonno6
Rhys Ruddock

Post by simonno6 »

He always had a chance of breaking into the World 2020 squad for England - The very suprising thing is that he's been named in the 15 man ODI squad for the series against WI

Delighted for him. Top class performer - I believe he will go on to make a massive impact in the English side over the next 10 years or so.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

simonno6 wrote:He always had a chance of breaking into the World 2020 squad for England - The very suprising thing is that he's been named in the 15 man ODI squad for the series against WI

Delighted for him. Top class performer - I believe he will go on to make a massive impact in the English side over the next 10 years or so.
Traitor!!!

To Eoin's house.........

:lol:
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

simonno6 wrote:He always had a chance of breaking into the World 2020 squad for England - The very suprising thing is that he's been named in the 15 man ODI squad for the series against WI

Only saw the ODI squad there now. Fair dues to the guy. He's one of the most taleneted one day batsmen around. Great to see a CUS boy making a name for himself.
simonno6
Rhys Ruddock

Post by simonno6 »

*sniff* *sniff* - Can you smell that? Thats the first test match of the summer... Ahhhhh, lovely.

It will be even lovelier when I can watch more than the first hour due to exams!
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

On beside me in work. Century for Ravi Bopara. 245-5